Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Requesting Z1 Mild Clutch Kit Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The heavier ductile flywheel and one of the southbend "quiet disk" kits will be the quietest.

Not a huge difference between the southbend steel fly or the ductile iron fly noise wise but heavier will be slightly quieter.

Originally Posted by yellowspecv
There is such a lack of info about this, what about the southbend quiet disk mated with zsp ductile heavy flywheel or the z1 performance 25lbs flywheel, to tell the truth we want quiet and we want single mass ... By now is not about performance by 2016 we have found the hardway that the dual mass flywheels go out specs and produce flex making RPM jumping... What is the most quiet setup ... ??? I'm making my purchase in the next week and since my flywheel flexes when put in heavy load .... And I feel we need to start giving names , who makes who exedy, you guys ,southbend ? We want support independent store like ZSP since is more cheapo..
Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM
yellowspecv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
The heavier ductile flywheel and one of the southbend "quiet disk" kits will be the quietest.

Not a huge difference between the southbend steel fly or the ductile iron fly noise wise but heavier will be slightly quieter.
compare to the exedy nsk1000fw which is more quiet ??? And quality wise which one seems better your ductile , or southbend ? Who makes your flywheels I'm tempted since they are so cheap ?? At this point I'm thinking the southbend quiet disk with the z1 nodular25lbs or the ZPC ductile one , or the 19lbs :P I don't know what to do
Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by yellowspecv
compare to the exedy nsk1000fw which is more quiet ??? And quality wise which one seems better your ductile , or southbend ? Who makes your flywheels I'm tempted since they are so cheap ?? At this point I'm thinking the southbend quiet disk with the z1 nodular25lbs or the ZPC ductile one , or the 19lbs :P I don't know what to do
The southbend flywheel is going to be a full billet 4140 steel flywheel, only one made like this and is made in the US. strength wise it will be the strongest.
The ductile/nodular flywheel is a ductile cast flywheel much like oem flywheels.
The south bend "quiet disk" clutch is what will keep the idle rattle noise as quiet as possible.
The exedy fly and clutch will be loud at idle like any other clutch kit with out a quiet design disk, southbend is the only one offering a quiet design clutch at this time.
Flywheel weight makes some difference in noise level, heavier tend to be slightly quieter. I ran a 14lb aluminum fly with southbends stage 3 daily quiet disk clutch and you can barely here the trans.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 AM
yellowspecv

The southbend flywheel is going to be a full billet 4140 steel flywheel, only one made like this and is made in the US. strength wise it will be the strongest.
The ductile/nodular flywheel is a ductile cast flywheel much like oem flywheels.
The south bend "quiet disk" clutch is what will keep the idle rattle noise as quiet as possible.
The exedy fly and clutch will be loud at idle like any other clutch kit with out a quiet design disk, southbend is the only one offering a quiet design clutch at this time.
Flywheel weight makes some difference in noise level, heavier tend to be slightly quieter. I ran a 14lb aluminum fly with southbends stage 3 daily quiet disk clutch and you can barely here the trans.
this is indulging epic wonderful and exquisite info around the forum , from actually real info , and I appreciate you taking the time to respond , at this point I'm leaning to the ss quiet kit listed for $865 , my question is can I replace the 14lbs with the DXD flywheel that says 19lbs and I'm assuming that's the heavier flywheel southbend offers for the VQ 03-06 , since my car is 2003 . and what brand of bearings come with this kit ?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

The SS Street kits only come with the Aluminum Fidanza flywheel,

If you want the Steel South Bend flywheel you'll need to order the Stage 3 Daily clutch kit with the Steel flywheel.

Most of South Bends kits come with a Koyo (OE) bearing, Some will come with a Exedy release bearing. Both are good bearings as long as they do not get damaged when they are pressed on to the sleeve (this is an issue with the installers bending the housing when pressing them on incorrectly which can make them quickly fail)
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

And thats why you get recommended by name...
https://my350z.com/forum/feedback-an...l#post10723374
Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the mild performance clutch kit (standard full face disk) with the z1 lightweight flywheel since summer 2015 when I did a CD009 tranny swap in my 03 Z. The clutch kit is DEFINITELY much lighter than stock. Stock set up is one heavy ****! Have no complaints at all. It's a nice upgrade when compared to the stock clutch. Clutch feels much softer than stock, so will take time to get used to. Nothing you can't overcome. The clutch chatter is quite loud though. Everytime i move out of 1st and especially 2nd from idle or low rpm, the rattle is noticeable, to where people from outside my car have noticed it. However, it's nothing you can't get used to. Besides, who gives a **** what people think of the sound? You can barely hear it from the inside the cabin! I love the clutch set up for the price. Go for it!

Last edited by CNunes_95; 03-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 PM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you please tell me more about this quiet disc you are talking about? Is it a dual mass or single?

If you just need a solid upgrade from stock and don't want to break the bank.
Our Stage 1 replacement kit with flywheel would be a good option for you, This kit will be MUCH quieter than one with a super light flywheel and drive much better than stock.
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSP...SPNSK1PACK.htm

This one will be very similar to the JWT, Just much, much quieter.
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Sou...t-Quiet-DE.htm

If trans rattle noise doesn't bother you, the above kit can be had without the quiet disk option for about the same price as the JWT combo.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
DBAMF

Installed mine in early 2015 and with 10+ drift events and lots of street abuse it still feels and holds great. Like everyone else said the pedal is actually a little lighter than stock, don't let that fool you it always grabs hard. Flywheel is a little noisy but nothing terrible. It seems everyone has nothing but positive reviews about it on here.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kno
Can you please tell me more about this quiet disc you are talking about? Is it a dual mass or single?

The "Quiet" option on South Bends kits is built into the clutch disk itself, It doesn't add any weight, it just makes the trans happy at idle. You can use the lightest of flywheels and still have a fairly quiet set-up.
It somewhat mimics what the stock dual mass flywheel does and reduces trans rattle noise at idle without adding the 30lbs of weight or poor drive-ability
Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Pm'd

The "Quiet" option on South Bends kits is built into the clutch disk itself, It doesn't add any weight, it just makes the trans happy at idle. You can use the lightest of flywheels and still have a fairly quiet set-up.
It somewhat mimics what the stock dual mass flywheel does and reduces trans rattle noise at idle without adding the 30lbs of weight or poor drive-ability

Last edited by kno; 03-09-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kno
Ahh thank you very much. Do you have a package with this flywheel with a clutch and pressure plate that's like oem or better than oem? I clicked on your link above, but it was stage 2 or 3 that's slightly too rough for daily commute

Don't be confused about the stage 2.
The South Bend Stage 2 Daily is a phenomenal driving clutch, Perfectly smooth and just the right amount of pressure. This is going to be the best driving clutch you've ever felt in a Z.
Performance, Feel and smoothness, this kit has it all.

The Stage 3 Daily is more aggressive in nature and is meant for boosted cars that are still driven daily. Only reason to go with the stage 3 would be if you need to hold over 450-500whp.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 03-09-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

How about the six puck stage two?

I was suggested that one bexcuse I try and drag a couple times a year and hard launches her and there. I only bought the car to take it to HPDE I drive it in the street oncell every two weeks

Sorry about the thread jack
Old 03-10-2016, 06:00 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
How about the six puck stage two?

I was suggested that one bexcuse I try and drag a couple times a year and hard launches her and there. I only bought the car to take it to HPDE I drive it in the street oncell every two weeks

Sorry about the thread jack
A drag style clutch would be great for track, drag or HPDE, Shifts fast and grabs very hard, It will have a fairly harsh engagement on starts though.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:38 PM
CunningLine

Default Flywheel

Just installed that clutch kit, the clutch itself feels great so far. I originally tried to use this clutch kit with my stock dual mass flywheel, IT DID NOT WORK PROPERLY. I definitely recommend getting an aftermarket flywheel like z1's midweight along with the kit. After i put the new flywheel in with the kit, everything worked properly. Moral of the story, save yourself the headache and dont try to cheap out like i did.

Last edited by CunningLine; 08-17-2022 at 02:40 PM.