Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z no start no crank 2002 import

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Reece350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z no start no crank 2002 import

So after all my bad luck with this car it's got worse!
2002 Nissan 350z fairlady auto with approx 87000miles
The sump was leaking so took it off and resealed it all.. So that's the oil leak fixed.
Went to start it up and nothing what so ever.. The starter wasn't turning or even clicking can just hear a lot of different beeping by the throttle body..
Doesn't stop but never heard it before this problem?
Tested the battery with load and tested fine
So took the starter off and tested it on the bench and it works fine but couldn't hear the solenoid clicking as it should?
Tested the starter relay and checked all fuses and they're all okay.
Tried putting an earth right from the battery to the starter to eliminate any earthing issues and still nothing
However when I checked the solenoid connector which runs towards the starter motor I don't get a voltage while cranking.
Also doesn't display the gear-lever position on the dash with ignition on but can't remember if it did or not before it, it's currently a blank screen.
It has what I think is an aftermarket immobiliser fob that you push in..
I've tested the ignition switch to starter relay for continuity and voltage with the ignition in start and it's all okay.
Tested continuity from the relay terminal to the starter solenoid and that's fine.
So I'm thinking its the PNP switch?
Someone please point me in the right direction!
Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if its not clicking when you try to turn the key, then their is something wrong with the wiring to the starter or the starter itself.

if it atleast clicks when you turn the key then that means starter part is ok.

no crank, but atleast hear a clicking means their is something wrong with the wiring to the starter.

crank, no start - fuel spark, and compression issue......

would recommend replacing the starter to see and try again. if that doesnt solve the problem check all your wires if they are connected it could possibly be that some of the wires are corroded and not giving proper signal therefore causing issues with the starter.

i have a old suv and it sometimes wont start i have to try a few times, i think its because its a old car and the entire wire harness needs to be replaced....2002 350z is really really really old btw thats a 14 year old car i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the wiring needs to be replaced especially if it has been sitting for a long time and not driven.

Last edited by Justin100; 04-27-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Reece350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin100
if its not clicking when you try to turn the key, then their is something wrong with the wiring to the starter or the starter itself.

if it atleast clicks when you turn the key then that means starter part is ok.

no crank, but atleast hear a clicking means their is something wrong with the wiring to the starter.

crank, no start - fuel spark, and compression issue......

would recommend replacing the starter to see and try again. if that doesnt solve the problem check all your wires if they are connected it could possibly be that some of the wires are corroded and not giving proper signal therefore causing issues with the starter.

i have a old suv and it sometimes wont start i have to try a few times, i think its because its a old car and the entire wire harness needs to be replaced....2002 350z is really really really old btw thats a 14 year old car i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the wiring needs to be replaced especially if it has been sitting for a long time and not driven.
Got a new starter motor in.
I've got Continuity from the IDPM to the starter solenoid wire and it's okay.
But the wiring diagram also shows the relay linking to the Transmission control module.
I'm thinking it's not sending a signal back to say it's in PARK so it won't send a start signal?
Thanks for your help