New to this, am i making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
Cant stand these annoying punk @$$ kids. But this is a decent demonstration...

Trying To Hydrolock The Miata - YouTube

I think the amount of water required to lock the motor from a flood would probably total well over most of the car anyways. The engine would probably be the last of your worries.
A water hose is not a good example, 9 inches of standing water like what happens in some areas during a heavy rain is a good example
Old 05-11-2016, 09:58 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I sucked water up my intake during a rain storm before... Just trying to get home from work on a stormy shitty night. Stalled out in the middle of the road. After driving through standing water that was coming down in buckets. Made my cool cai not so cool any more... Luckily my car eventually started back up, took that **** off and got rid of the car soon after.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:29 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I sucked water up my intake during a rain storm before... Just trying to get home from work on a stormy shitty night. Stalled out in the middle of the road. After driving through standing water that was coming down in buckets. Made my cool cai not so cool any more... Luckily my car eventually started back up, took that **** off and got rid of the car soon after.
Huge difference between hydro locking an engine and getting your MAF wet. One destroys an engine, the other cause the car to stumble till its dry
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Yeah but both can mess up your midnight drive home from work, but one is much worse then the other... Believe me in that moment I didn't think that car was ever going to start again.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 PM
ZNoob93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so just bought a borla exhaust (used) its missing the h pipe, can i just buy any h, y, x pipe and it'll be just fine?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ZNoob93
so just bought a borla exhaust (used) its missing the h pipe, can i just buy any h, y, x pipe and it'll be just fine?
Borla makes 2 different systems for the car, post pics of the one you bought
Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Somewhere around 50 posts and only the 5th and the 40th really talk about the ONLY modification really worth dropping three grand on... the driver.

All of the hardware and software you want to buy for ungawdly amounts of money aren't going to do one damm thing for you if you can't drive the car to its potential.

And, once you get to that point, YOU, the only driver of YOUR car, can make the proper determination of what YOU really need for the car.

Period. End rant. Off soapbox.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (05-12-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 PM
ZNoob93

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Borla makes 2 different systems for the car, post pics of the one you bought

Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 PM
ZNoob93

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Somewhere around 50 posts and only the 5th and the 40th really talk about the ONLY modification really worth dropping three grand on... the driver.

All of the hardware and software you want to buy for ungawdly amounts of money aren't going to do one damm thing for you if you can't drive the car to its potential.

And, once you get to that point, YOU, the only driver of YOUR car, can make the proper determination of what YOU really need for the car.

Period. End rant. Off soapbox.

Who's to say I don't take it to the track every week, who's to say I havent taken classes, I came here to make sure what I'm wanting is best and to get opinions, make sure what I'm doing is right cause that's the point of this forum, to get opinions and read other people's outlook on different things to help me make a desicion. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

because you are asking basic question that the smallest research would have give you the answers to.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Because if you actually know how to drive your car, you wouldnt be looking for power, youd be looking at the suspension....

Being able to smash the pedal and hit 60mph on the street isnt the same as being able to keep 60mph on a hair pin...
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Your going to need to pay an exhaust shop to make something for you if you want that exhaust to work on your car. Nothing off then shelf will work unless you can get borla to send you a replacement.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:38 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Who's to say I don't take it to the track every week, who's to say I havent taken classes, I came here to make sure what I'm wanting is best and to get opinions, make sure what I'm doing is right cause that's the point of this forum, to get opinions and read other people's outlook on different things to help me make a desicion. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Kinda wrong, the main point is entertainment and information.. Most of the information is available already with a quick search so that leaves the entertainment aspect... After we all have been on here for a bit you get to know peoples personalities and what contributions and good advice they have shared.

Your kinda lucky your thread has been as nice and helpful as it has been, you must have picked a happy week... I was actually thinking it was going to go more the disaster route judging by the first post.

Point being dont bite the hand that feeds, if your lucky enough to get advice from Mic dont come back with BS or he will just not waist his time when a real problem comes up.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 05-12-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Kinda wrong, the main point is entertainment and information.. Most of the information is available already with a quick search so that leaves the entertainment aspect... After we all have been on here for a bit you get to know peoples personalities and what contributions and good advice they have shared.

Your kinda lucky your thread has been as nice and helpful as it has been, you must have picked a happy week... I was actually thinking it was going to go more the disaster route judging by the first post.

Point being dont bite the hand that feeds, if your lucky enough to get advice from Mic dont come back with BS or he will just not waist his time when a real problem comes up.

Of all the things mic has help me with, the only thing that stuck was, there are ling long tires. Lol
Old 05-12-2016, 07:09 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Of all the things mic has help me with, the only thing that stuck was, the bun in my wife's oven. Lol
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

This is not pointed specifically at you, dude, don't take it that way. I'm all for modifications and getting advice on the right ones to do is part of what this site is all about.

All I'm suggesting - and those who know me here knew I was going to say it - is that driving school is the best investment (yes, investment) one can make. If you've gone to an advanced driving course, I applaud that and you know what I'm talking about then.

"Driver mod is the ONE modification that you can transfer from car to car with no further capital outlay; and it's a life long investment."

Here's the kicker: Are you at 80% of your car's capabilities? An honest answer is what every person needs to ask themselves. I know, for fact, that despite 3 driving schools (one 4-day private, two club sessions + W2W competition) that I'm not; for no matter how good I may THINK I am, you put a guy like Faust or Rosberg behind the wheel of my car and you can bet they're going to be faster and smoother than me out-of-box.

My own modifications - however minimal they are - were determined by my own capabilities and a year long analysis driving the car, bone stock, looking for points of improvement needed - to suit my driving skills and habits; not because they're what everyone else is doing - and that's all I'm suggesting to you and/or anyone who cares to read what I wrote.

If I worded my original response a little tersely, sorry, not meant to be. I'm just passionate (and opinionated, yes) about that POV.
travlee (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Of all the things mic has help me with, the only thing that stuck was, there are ling long tires. Lol
Quote:

Of all the things mic has help me with, the only thing that stuck was, the bun in my wife's oven. Lol
Hey hey hey, Mike, lezz get sumtin' straight here: I had NUTTIN' to do with T'bo's bun in the oven!! That was his (and his S.O.'s own doing!)

I'm just the guy who put placeholder Ling Long's on my Z32, mounted on orphaned Z33 Touring wheels and left T'bo with a lasting impression.

Sheesh, what a legacy.....

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-12-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 AM
travlee
Master

tldr : driving school
Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by travlee
tldr : driving school
But but but, Trav.... it's me, man, c'mon, where's your spirit?

Oh wait, right, yeah, I get it.... TLDR since its the same thing I've said at least 56.2x before.

Hahahahahaha!
travlee (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM
travlee
Master

mic mic he's our man, if he cant suggest driving school......... no one can!

happy?!?!?! bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Quick Reply: New to this, am i making a mistake?