slipping clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM
BigDawgBones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping clutch.

04 350z manual.
so im having like a power issue.
when im driving or when i start up from a stop, it takes awhile for the trans to catch with the engine and actually go with a bit of power. when i step on the gas at a higgher speed and higher gear it revs up before catching and actually going faster.
i havent had a chance to do any diag, but a few older tech friends of mine suggested that the clutch is slipping. but then started talking about resurfacing the flywheel and such. i was confused because i work at monster transmissions and assumed when they said clutch is slipping it meant the friction clutch plates in the trans were worn. can anyone shed some light on this for me?
if it doesnt sound like "slipping clutch" could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

It sounds like a slipping clutch based on the symptoms you described. I don't believe you can resurface the OEM 350Z flywheel, but I may be mistaken. Someone else may chime in to confirm.

How many miles on your current setup? It might be time for a new clutch.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

get going about 20 mph in 4th gear and then floor it, my guess is the rpm will shoot up but you wont increase speed. if you have it down, why not just replace everything with new
Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM
BigDawgBones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's got about 117k on it right now, I've had it since about 60k.
And I would but we don't deal with foreign transmission or manual so I'd be kind of lost in that aspect.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

it is pretty easy to do, me and a buddy used to knock them out in about 4 hours taking our time. i would get the jwt combo, replace the pivot ball and fork, rebuild or replace master and slave. if you dont feel comfortable trying it, i would suggest a trans shop
Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgBones
It's got about 117k on it right now, I've had it since about 60k.
And I would but we don't deal with foreign transmission or manual so I'd be kind of lost in that aspect.
If it's still the original clutch, then it sounds like it's time to change it. 117K miles isn't too bad. Obviously a clutch's life span depends on how you drive it.

The JWT flywheel/clutch combo is a good choice for an upgrade. You'll get some more noise from the lightweight flywheel.

The mechanics of a manual transmission aren't too complicated. This may give you a little guidance:

As far as install, if you can follow the procedures in the FSM or this link (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...wt-clutch.html) then you'll be fine. If you have access to a lift, then it will go much smoother.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
It sounds like a slipping clutch based on the symptoms you described. I don't believe you can resurface the OEM 350Z flywheel, but I may be mistaken. Someone else may chime in to confirm.

How many miles on your current setup? It might be time for a new clutch.
You actually could resurface it but you have to find the right machine shop for it. Most shop dont do it because they dont have anything to hold the flywheel still in one place.

And to OP, get the JWT combo and thanks me later.