Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

OEM fuel transfer unit bypass rewire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:23 PM
shadow1225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM fuel transfer unit bypass rewire?

Before you ask me to use google or the search bar, I've tried for 2 days straight, and I couldn't find a straight answer to what I've been looking for, so hopefully my fellow Z drivers can give me a helping hand.

From my understanding, the fuel sending unit also brings up fuel from the driver side of the fuel tank when the passenger side of the fuel tank is low.

WITHOUT the use of an aftermarket fuel pump to transfer fuel from the driver side to the passenger side, is there any way to rewire the OEM fuel sending unit in order to trick it into constantly bringing fuel to the passenger side?
Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1225
Before you ask me to use google or the search bar, I've tried for 2 days straight, and I couldn't find a straight answer to what I've been looking for, so hopefully my fellow Z drivers can give me a helping hand.

From my understanding, the fuel sending unit also brings up fuel from the driver side of the fuel tank when the passenger side of the fuel tank is low.

WITHOUT the use of an aftermarket fuel pump to transfer fuel from the driver side to the passenger side, is there any way to rewire the OEM fuel sending unit in order to trick it into constantly bringing fuel to the passenger side?
You understood incorrectly. Did you look at the appropriate section of the FSM? That's almost always the best thing to look at. There is only one fuel pickup in the tank, and only one pump in the tank. They're both on the right (passenger) side of the tank.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:38 PM
shadow1225

omitted
Old 09-04-2016, 01:39 PM
shadow1225

Originally Posted by dcains
You understood incorrectly. Did you look at the appropriate section of the FSM? That's almost always the best thing to look at. There is only one fuel pickup in the tank, and only one pump in the tank. They're both on the right (passenger) side of the tank.
Sorry, I'm not extremely familiar with how the 350z fuel system works, so forgive me if I sound dumb. I'm looking at the unit as a whole at the passenger side, that unit also grabs fuel from the driver side as well correct? Since the fuel tank is oddly shaped, and won't always be at equilibrium right?
Old 09-04-2016, 02:32 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The fuel is only picked up on the passenger side of the tank. Driving the car around will slosh the fuel from the high side to the low side, but that's it. Fuel can't be picked up on the driver's side directly. I have no clue how much fuel could theoretically get trapped on the driver's side, but it's probably not much. Just turn left every once in a while
Old 09-04-2016, 02:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Stock system sucks for anything but driving at the speed limit. It uses a Venturi system to pull fuel from the other side , if the main pickup starves, all transfer is lost till the pump has fuel to it again.

Racers have used transfers pumps, and a few other tricks in the years to prevent this.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:20 PM
shadow1225

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Stock system sucks for anything but driving at the speed limit. It uses a Venturi system to pull fuel from the other side , if the main pickup starves, all transfer is lost till the pump has fuel to it again.

Racers have used transfers pumps, and a few other tricks in the years to prevent this.
No worries, thank for the advice everyone. I truly do appreciate the input, since I'm running myself in circles, but is there any way anybody can tell me what this is? and how to replace it?