Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Would love veteran help with 100k clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:01 AM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Would love veteran help with 100k clutch

Hey gang,

See if I can make all my points quickly...need to get answers and then source parts for repair soon.

2004 Base Coupe.

Last winter I got mild cement mixer sound when clutch depressed, but only in morning. DIY researched and talked to people...probably throw out bearing.

I'm in Arizona, and this summer I haven't had the cement mixer sound. Clutch has been mostly normal except for infrequent mild forms of what is listed below...but is now getting worse.

Recently, about a week ago, I drove out of town on a business trip and one night the clutch was weird with all gears much harder to get into. Stopped to eat, on way back it was better.

Two nights ago it happened again, I pulled over on highway and for a second or two I wasn't sure I could get into first gear...but it engaged, then ten to twenty minutes later on drive back things became normal again.

Clutch does not slip under pull. It's oem and at 100k, feels solid. Trustworthy echanic that worked on my car a year ago said my clutch was in great shape.

My questions:

Feedback from a car guy or two is that it's most likely my throw out bearing, I want to be sure I buy the right one as I'm also going to replace the clutch with a 4k mileage oem clutch I happened to pick up a year ago for whenever my clutch does go out....so do I just ask for an oem throw out bearing from online vendors and I can't go wrong? I remember there's some part when doing clutch or transmission that some people buy the wrong version...might have to do with swapping the CD009...can't remember.

The clutch I bought off the seller (a Nissan executive that was on these boards before swapping cars) shows rust colored patina in the teeth on the side and on the face plate area...any cause for concern? I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it, still don't to the degree that I would like. I'll attach a few pics.

Saw a thread in which MicVelo recommends doing the fork at same time...I'll do that, what else should I replace at same time since labor for throw out bearing is same as a clutch replacement basically.

Should I do pilot bearing?

Should I do master cylinder? Slave cylinder? (no I don't know yet exactly how they interact)

Throw out bearing sleeve?

Bottom line is what what is wise to have done at 100k while the mechanic is in there?

Any idea on what I should expect to pay for labor time wise or dollar wise?

The pic of three items in pic is what I have for the clutch...my understanding is I just need the throw out bearing and then I have an entirely new clutch?

And if anyone is wondering, engine is stock but for Motordyne plenum spacer, NGK iridium sparks, a cold air intake, and I don't ever intend to mod the car above 350hp at the wheel, if ever. So oem clutch is great and chatter free..no need for a six puck and don't want to deal with JWT chatter issues.

Thanks sincerely for all help, hoping to get this done asap...and reminds me...with symptoms described....how urgent is this repair? Don't want to get stranded of course.

Thanks again,

Saved
Attached Thumbnails Would love veteran help with 100k clutch-dsc01084.jpg   Would love veteran help with 100k clutch-dsc01086.jpg   Would love veteran help with 100k clutch-dsc01104.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:02 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

clutch should be fine, just clean it well with brakleen. I would replace the pilot bushing(like$5), and do the slave/master. do it right and it will be fine for another 100k. sleeve is reusable. if its the thin sheet metal clutch fork, replace it with the newer cast fork and smaller pivot ball.

you can find the parts you need on the speed site. thats where I bought mine.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:56 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks JDM, going to take all of your advice. And glad to hear about the clutch.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:25 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

mistyped. it was zspeed performance site. they have all the parts you need at a good price and no crazy shipping. if you can afford it do the steel braided clutch line too. big feel difference and more durable with the heat around it.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:32 PM
savedbygrace

no worries, and thanks a ton, I think my clutch line is braided already if I recall correctly, but will do braided if its not (can't remember if it's my brakes lines that already steel braided or not).

Thanks again sincerely, will be ordering parts this weekend I think, clutch has been perfect but I know it needs some attention so am just going to do it and be done with it.