Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z died after coil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 PM
oats456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z died after coil replacement

Howdy!

I've got a 2003 350z with about a 110k on it. Mostly stock, catalytic converters are cut out, and it's got a bit of an exhaust leak.

I've had a coil going bad for about a year, and this weekend it finally bit the dust. Instead of replacing it with quality parts, I did a no-no and bought cheap amazon/china coils (blame tuition). I replaced all the coils and plugs, and it cranked and ran fine. I test drove it about a mile, and as we were cruising around 40mph it just suddenly died. Lights stayed on, everything seemed normal, just engine wouldn't run. Tried cranking it, but no luck. It cranks, just never starts. I naturally blamed my cheap china coils. Checked them, and no spark. Tried plugging in the old coils that were working, still no spark. Figured one of the bum coils might have blown a fuse, but all the fuses look good. Checked for engine codes, returns zeros (no problem).

Upon some research the possible diagnosis are ECU fuse, ECU fried, crank/cam sensor, or something else. Checked fuses, ECU returning codes so i don't think it's fried. Don't know how to check crank/cam sensor (seems like too much of a coincidence). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 AM
infinitebaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't already, you might pull the coil that you replaced and look inside the block to make sure there aren't any pins bent. Had one replaced a couple of months ago and this happened, car sounded and ran like crap as soon as picked it up from the repair shop. Gave it right back to them so after some troubleshooting, the mechanic figured it out and fixed the pin. Z has been running fine since..
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

do you have your OEM / old coils you took out? Did only one coil die? I have a handful of OEM coils and can send you a replacement if that would help - shoot me a PM.