Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Fuel smell and no hiss from gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 PM
etkms

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel smell and no hiss from gas cap?

Hi guys,

My Z is a full track car, I do all the work myself, but I need some advice on this one from the experts!

Last year I smelt fuel inside the car when driving on the track, and figured it was the recall of the filler hose. I wound up replacing my subframe bushings and decided to drop the fuel tank while I can. Since I was not sure what it was, I spent about $1,000 in parts from Nissan ordering all brand new fuel hoses! I mean, I ordered and replaced EVERY hose and fuel line and all EVAP lines. Even changed the brake hard lines and fuel pump and gaskets too of course. I figured since it was out I may as well do it all at once! the only thing I did not buy new was my charcoal canister, I threw my old one out and bought a used one from ebay.

Now for the past few months when I am on the track, I get a strong fuel smell in the car! but is only when I am under 1/2 a tank of fuel and when it is real hot out or late into my session. It does not seem to happen when it is at a fuel tank of fuel, which is odd? maybe there is more vapors and sloshing around when it under 1/2 tank?? The smell can be smelt inside and and side of the car but only around the rear passenger side area, such as around the evap/charcoal canister maybe? Also, when refueling even after just cming off the track and I open my gas cap, there is no hiss, it is silent. I thought there should be a hiss? Today I looked under the car and took my exhaust off to get a close look. With a flash light I was able to find 2 areas in question. One was the hose (new hose) to the charcoal canister to the fuel tank IN hole, around the top portion of the hose where the metal hardline meets the rubber hose to get to the canister, well, right by the hose clamp there was about a 2 inch or so greasy area with dirt on it, just what you would expect to see if it was leaking. But of course fuel does not flow there, but even so, with the hose clamp I am shocked to see anything leak from there. Then I saw the exact same type of greasy area with dirt on it all the way above the subframe to where that fuel tank hard line connects to the fuel tank. Of course to get to this I would need to drop the sub frame which I really really do not want to do again.

So could this be an issue with my charcoal canister or any other part on the unit? it almost seems like something is not letting it vent correctly and maybe its building up pressure and finding a way to escape from a connection/clamp? also I am not sure why I am not getting a hiss from my gas cap.

I am stuck here, and really want to try to figure this out, any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Only thing I can think of, and it's probably not your problem. Fuel rail crack, had it on mine.

Actually really interested, from time to time , I suddenly get fuel smell in the car.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:35 AM
etkms

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Only thing I can think of, and it's probably not your problem. Fuel rail crack, had it on mine.

Actually really interested, from time to time , I suddenly get fuel smell in the car.
Yeah, definitely not the fuel rail, I smelt under the hood a lot, there is no odor there at all. Just in the back right and inside.... It's gotta be some sort of venting issue?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 AM
shorez11759

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a smell too from the right rear and in car...anyone figure this out?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

The other possibility is a simple one: the seal on the gas cap is no longer functioning. Simply replace the gas cap and recheck.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 AM
etkms

I fixed my problem! I purchases a brand new charcoal canister, and a new sensor and valve that goes on them, I got all brand new, it was not cheap, but its 100% perfect now with no smell ever.