Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tires+Coolant Flush=Limp Mode???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires+Coolant Flush=Limp Mode???

Bought my car, 05 350z 35th Anniversary 6 speed, three days ago and already ran into an issue.

So I went to tire discounters today and got a new set of tires, also had them do a coolant flush as it was due, car has 63k. Tech that worked on it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but I'm no mechanic. In any case, when they were done with my car, they pulled it around, I paid and went to leave.

First thing I noticed was I was having trouble taking off, which isn't that uncommon as I'm fairly new to a manual tranny. Go through a couple of stop signs and go to pull on to the road. That's when I notice that the car would not rev above 2500 rpm. It was like the rev limiter was set at 2500. (Guessing that is limp mode for these cars.) So I go back to the store and tell them what happened. They get in and start it up, rev it up, no problem. Take it for a spin around the block, problem has disappeared and didn't show up in my 50-60 mile drive home.

Odd thing was, no trouble lights lit up on my gauge cluster when it was "limping". All gauge readings were fine. What would have caused this?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

2 things are my guesses.

1. Tail light bulb going out

2. Tire sizes are wrong and causing problems. Did you get a slip light ?
Old 11-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Sebastian777

No dash lights at all, put factory size tires on the car.

Will a tail light going out put the car in limp mode?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:36 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Some of the Ebay rear lights play havoc with the electrics and cause all sorts of problems. But I take it your rear lights are standard.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Sebastian777

Had factory tail lights in at the time.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars are so really sensitive to anything. Nissan really made these sensors and ECU flip the hell out easily. The internet has 14 years of this with Z/G's. 1 sensor goes bad and causes 5 other codes to pop up. One example on my end. Bought car and owned it about 4-5 weeks. Unplugged battery, negative first and than positive. Removed battery to look at the date under it. Installed the Big 3 upgrade. Hooked battery up 1 hour later and the car was in Limp Mode and throwing a TB Acuator light. Car ran perfect when the code was cleared but ever since that unplug it just flipped out and eventually replaced the TB. Limp mode usually goes along with VDC/SLIP/SES lights on at once. I guess I'm not really lending advice but pretend these cars are like your GF/Wife during that time of the month. That's how these cars act, especially with any kind of changes to anything. The ECU gets used to whatever it has and when something is changed it flips out.

Do a true ECU reset, reset the a/f trims (often neglected), than do a Pedal,TB,Idle reset and drive the car a good distance and do stop and go traffic at some point in the trip without turning car off. Different makers have different patterns with there ECU's. When resetting anything the computer has to go though certain drive cycles first. Try all that and than go down the line. Limp mode is in Fail Safe mode as Infiniti/Nissan call it. Grab a Z/G FSM free download online and look into your issue