Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wavetrac v2

Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Holy ****, man that's terrible. I hope you can get it repaired properly, and quickly. People really suck sometimes.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 PM
onebentvalve

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you, very much. Thankfully she left her info and filed a police report. She pushed the car 6 feet from where I parked and derped the lip on my RR wheel. I'm heartbroken.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 PM
dcains

Wow, that's a shocker, but glad for you that she had a conscience. Was she drunk driving?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by onebentvalve
Update: I found out I was doing this wrong. The ring that holds the axle in place is the SAME size for the open and vlsd. When I talked with Wavetrac about the issue yesterday they told me the axle ring was a different size, but I dont think I was clear on my issue. When I took the shafts out of the diff the rings stayed in the diff so I tried putting a ring in the dew diff and pishing the axle on. The ring starts on the axle and gets pushed onto the shaft.

My axle understanding, a vlsd will come with one short and one long shaft. An open diff will come with two short shafts BUT the open diff short shafts are slightly longer than the short vlsd shaft. I faced .400" off each shaft and put a .125" 45° chamfer on the axles to fit the Wavetrac. To my understanding I am the first to do this, but if I did not the ends of the axle would bottom out against the gears/ bias plates in the diff. In an open diff they cannot bottom out against anything, I don't know of the vlsd. I have a vlsd in my z right now that I will disect after I swap housings.
Look at my thread about the OS Giken diff install , I modded the open axles to fit where VLSD short axles fit. Very simple on a lathe
Old 12-21-2016, 09:19 PM
onebentvalve

The lathe work isn't bad at all, I recommend making the groove .100" deeper than it is right now and facing .400" off and obviously adding a chamfer. Nissan hardened the **** out these parts they like low n slow feeds n speeds and still sing.

No telling on the drunk driving yet. It was pretty late over here on the East coast so I will make my call first thing tomorrow.

Last edited by onebentvalve; 12-21-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:33 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn...that's a real Kick in the nuts.

Won't damage on a rear quarter probably total it out? Be sure to switch back to stock parts if so......

Hate it for you.

gl
Old 12-22-2016, 08:29 PM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condolences on the car. I put a Wavetrac in mine last year and love it.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 AM
onebentvalve

Thank you everybody, I was truly heartbroken about this car at first. At this point I'm hoping they total the car so I can use the check as a down payment on a 370z. Most of my z parts would fit a 370z including the wavetrac.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:30 AM
dcains

That's probably your best bet. The car got hit in the most expensive area to fix, and also most difficult to fix properly.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onebentvalve
Update, I parked outside my dads house so we could ride together to a Xmas party and came home to this. I don't know when I will put the diff in. ****.
That is horrible. So basically some drunk *** hit your parked car. I've been in the same boat. Parked my car by the road. Its been years back and came out to do a dented all to hell fender, smashed headlight, broken header panel, smashed headlight. Those kinds of hits are so expensive.

To chime in late on the axles. Yes because you had a open diff you had the short axle stubs which you now know. Seems a lot of the guys going to a better Diff. went to a open diff pumpkin setup so they didn't have to machine and cut up stuff. Basically the aftermarket made diffs for the original open diff cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM
onebentvalve

^^Sort of, I have at this point taken the axles out of my vlsd to measure. The open diff has medium sized axles they are not as long or as short as the ones out of the vlsd. The rings that hold the axles in are slightly different as well. In the open diff they stay in the differential and the axle's grooves are shallow allowing the axles to push the ring outward and the axle to slide out. The vlsd is the opposite the groove is deep allowing the ring to push inward staying on the shaft while the shaft gets slid out.

For those of you who were interested in the wrecked car, I got a check for 8k for my car, bought it back for 1300 and found a g35s 6mt coupe with rod knock I picked up for another 1300. The G35 has got brembo brakes which my Z did not have which is a major score even though it needs pad and rotor.

I put coilovers, roll center ball joints, poly bushings on every front suspension arm, JWT clutch/flywheel w/braided clutch line, master cylinder brace, 370z headers, ISR y pipe, z1 hfcs, a pop charger, plenum spacer, all rear lower suspension arms replaced with kinetix and voodoo13 with lockout washers to delete cams, nrg steering wheel, custom CNC machined aluminum motor and transmission mounts to lower the motor, a custom catback, walbro 255 fuel pump, and custom audio into my Z. All of that will make its way to the G along with my low miles DE/CD009 and of course the Wavetrac the Z never got.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
onebentvalve

I literally just found this online, but this here you go long middle short.

Search this Thread