Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch engage point changing sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
damienPOWER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch engage point changing sometimes

I have been finding that sometimes when the weather is very very hot, or if I drive in peak hour (pressing the clutch a lot in a short amount of time), or when I went to the track, my clutch release point changes after a while, and it gets closer and closer to the floor. It doesn't happen very often at all, maybe 1% of the time spent driving, but once it happens, it doesn't usually go away until I stop driving, then next time I get into the car it will be fine. I have checked and there is enough clutch fluid in the reservoir. There does not seem to be any leakage near the firewall at the cylinders. Does anyone have any ideas? My clutch was slipping while at the track, but it's fine on the street, I think it will probably need replacing soon-ish - I don't think this is the issue though? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 AM
z33_adam

i've had that happen to me a couple times. thinking it has something to do with the clutch fluid getting super hot. I'm going to be changing out the clutch fluid to model rbf600
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Overheated fluid can do that, but it can also be a sign of a failing clutch slave cylinder, especially on the HR cars. If so, don't bother replacing with OEM parts, as the problem will only return. The hot (no pun intended) setup for HR cars now comes from ZSpeed:

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...e-ZSP-CMAK.htm
Old 01-22-2017, 03:22 PM
mignav01

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you don't have an hr, I was in a similar predicament, cruising around lake Tahoe in traffic, and my engagement point was reduced dramatically. Maybe an inch or two off the ground, replaced with higher temp fluid and has happened since... but both times it has happened I was using the clutch A LOT, in heavy traffic
Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 AM
damienPOWER

Thanks guys, will look at better clutch fluid
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Boiling fluid will make pedal engage lower. /end thread