Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Jerk issue - 2007 Nissan 350z (Manual Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:36 PM
whistle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerk issue - 2007 Nissan 350z (Manual Transmission)

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Nissan 350z that seem to have an issue with the clutch.

Whenever I merely press the gas enough to begin accelerating, the car jerks until it picks up a certain speed, then it stops jerking. It happens happens for like a second or two in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears mainly, but less jerks on higher gears. On the other hand, if I accelerate quickly, it doesn’t jerk.

Even while cruising, if I lift my foot off the gas pedal & reapply it, it jerks again every time I do it, regardless of what gear I’m on at the time.

So I’m not really sure whether it’s a clutch, throttle or gear issue, or maybe something else I don’t know.

But about 2 months ago I had an issue where the clutch pedal dropped completely to the floor & it wasn’t releasing to come back up, to allow me to shift gears. So I took it to a garage & replaced the master & slave cylinders.

This somehow resolved both issues (the clutch pedal that’s not releasing & the jerk when accelerating or lifting my foot off the gas pedal & reapplying it).

However, a month or so ago, the jerk issue came back again.

So I took it to different garages, only to find out that their mechanics are completely clueless. Some were telling me that this is how the car is & this is natural, while others were telling me that I’m just imagining things. Honestly, it couldn’t get any more frustrating than that.

That jerk is so bad, that if I have a cup of tea in the holder, it just starts spilling over. So I don’t know how I can possibly imagine such things.

So now I need your help, if any of you ever faced the same issue, to advise me on what could be the cause, or how to resolve it or what do I need to check/replace.

FYI, things that I’ve replaced so far: spark plugs, engine oil & filter, clutch’s master & slave cylinders.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:12 AM
knuckles899

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Almost sounds like a throttle body issue. Did you try the throttle body relearn procedures?

See here

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/371324-how-do-i-do-the-throttle-body-relearn-procedure.html
Old 01-17-2017, 10:02 PM
whistle

No I haven't tried it, but I'll look into it. Thx for the tip.

I was also thinking of taking the throttle body out, clean it & put it back on, or maybe replace the throttle position sensor if required. Do you think this can help?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Do not touch the butterfly in the throttle body!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 AM
whistle

But I thought this only applies to when the throttle body is bolted on my car, as this could chop my finger off, but if I completely remove it out of the car, then try cleaning it, then touching the butterfly wouldn't be an issue, right? Coz I have to flip it open, in order to clean around it as well
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

wrong, you can strip the tiny gears that open and close it. if you knock it off by a tooth, it wont open or close properly and would lead to issues
Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM
knuckles899

If you do clean it.....which I wouldn't, just have the funds available or be prepared to potentially buy new ones. Some people have cleaned them by moving the butterfly open with no problems. ....more people I think end up messing them up.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 PM
whistle

So what would be the safest way to clean them then? I mean it's a 2007 model (10 years old) & never had the throttle cleaned, so it surely need cleaning.

Or should I take it to a mechanic to clean it, instead of doing it myself?

Would cleaning it even help, or will it just be a waste of time? Any other thing can be done?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 AM
knuckles899

Do the throttle body relearn procedures first located in this link step by step first....do all the procedures in order top to bottom.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...procedure.html

Last edited by knuckles899; 01-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.