Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Z33E

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission noise

hey guys I've researched and researched and I'm about to buy a new clutch and flywheel for this reason. I have an 04 with 38k miles and the transmission makes a weird noise, like a scratchy spinning. should I buy a new clutch based on this noise? It's more prominent when clutch is not pushed in. Thanks for input.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33E
hey guys I've researched and researched and I'm about to buy a new clutch and flywheel for this reason. I have an 04 with 38k miles and the transmission makes a weird noise, like a scratchy spinning. should I buy a new clutch based on this noise? It's more prominent when clutch is not pushed in. Thanks for input.
Or "rocks in a cement mixer"?

And, how is the clutch action/engagement?

I'm betting "Yes" and "OK", respectively.

If so, it's normal. The Nissan tranny (from gear and input shaft noises) isn't particularly known for being quiet. It a lot more prevalent with the later HR-specific CD009s but all of them are like that. When you step on the clutch, you're putting pressure on the shaft that quiets it down. Kind of like putting your finger against a small bell to quiet it.

If your clutch feels good and you have no gronking while shifting, just leave it alone.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:59 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

What Mic said.