Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil leak behind belts

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM
bdubwishon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak behind belts

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 2004 350z from a family friend. the motor has 82k miles on it and when purchased, the engine bay was spotless. the first month I've owned it I noticed there were oil droplets on my garage floor, I popped the hood and saw a black, gritty, sludge behind the belts right above my alternator pulley. The sludge was being slung around the engine bay as well. The oil has leaked down onto the alternator which could cause problems. I wiped away the first bit of oil and continued driving with spare oil in my glove box.

I have recently replaced my oil pan and it seems as if the previous owner tried to cover up this leak prior to selling me the vehicle. Now, for the past week I have been looking up the cause of this leak through multiple Nissan forums, and not many seem to have this leak (pictures showed the oil leaking elsewhere). Could it be the front main seal or something much worse? In the mean time I will be driving my company vehicle until this issue is fixed.

substantial amount of oil above the alternator

side view 3 months of oil leakage
Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Valve cover or front timing cover. Get a bottle of UV crankcase dye at the auto parts store. Dump it in your oil. Clean the oil off real well. Every day, check for fresh oil.