Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Had radiator replaced, now coolant leak at overflow hose and no heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Had radiator replaced, now coolant leak at overflow hose and no heater

I brought my Z to the dealership to swap out the stock radiator for a new Mishimoto one. Not the double walled racing type, just an OEM spec replacement. Also swapped out the thermostat and gasket, both were Nissan OEM.

Drove the car home, noticed the fans would kick on when they didn't before. Then I noticed there was no heat coming from the heater. It also reeked of coolant. Temp gauge was in the middle which I've never seen before, it's always been just slightly below it. Popped open the hood and found coolant leaking from the clamp on the radiator overflow hose. It's a mess in there.

I'm going to bring it back tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
Attached Thumbnails Had radiator replaced, now coolant leak at overflow hose and no heater-20170226_184716.jpg   Had radiator replaced, now coolant leak at overflow hose and no heater-20170226_184751.jpg  
Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM
BlueSQ

Update: I brought it back to the dealership. It was just a leak in the hose at the clamp. They tried to blame the age of the hose and the size difference between the Mishimoto and OEM radiator overflow hose connector. BS!! - they overtightened it and didn't double check their work.

Anyway, they literally snipped 2" off the overflow hose and reclamped it. They had to bleed the system again too. Good to go now.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Dealerships tend to have some of the worst techs.

All of the flunkies from my shop classes always ended up at dealerships or stop n live shops.

I don't take my car to the dealer unless I absolutely have to under warranty. Find a REAL good private mechanic. Also for the fact dealerships charge 10x cause people just assume it's better.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:35 AM
BlueSQ

I haven't found that dealerships charge more. Actually, they're about half the rate of a race shop. I usually go to the dealership because they give me a free rental. Drop off mine, leave in theirs and on with my day.

I agree, the mechanics that you get there are hit or miss at best but they're usually quick to warranty their work. In this case they at least admitted it and fixed it.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 AM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you pay to get the radiator replaced at the dealer?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
BlueSQ

Originally Posted by myGspot
How much did you pay to get the radiator replaced at the dealer?
About $150 with the coolant flush. I had them do it along with replacing the alternator, so I was out of there for around $300 with a free rental for the day.