Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine runs hot at times

Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 AM
jcrow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine runs hot at times

Okay so I have had my z somewhere between 2-4 months and have been noticing most of the time it runs fine but sometimes the gauge reads that it's running hot (but never at the top of the gauge at that point I would pull over and shut her off) it typically happens at stop lights or when moving slow but not all the time (in fact most of the time it's fine) but it also happens more when it's cold outside (temps in the say 40's or below) it's a bone stock (as far as I can tell, except a K&N cone air filter that was on it at time of purchase) 04 350z any ideas on what to look for? Also the heater isn't alwase hot often not much hotter than ambient air temp but will get nice and hot when running highway speeds and sometimes running city speeds but not normally. I'm thinking maybe thermostat but I honestly don't know no dash lights are on at all
Old 03-02-2017, 03:25 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you either have air in the line or bad tstat. when it get hot, pop the hood and touch both radiator hoses... if the bottom one is cold, it is the tstat
The following users liked this post:
jcrow (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
jcrow

Originally Posted by travlee
you either have air in the line or bad tstat. when it get hot, pop the hood and touch both radiator hoses... if the bottom one is cold, it is the tstat
okay I'll check that out next time thanks man if air got in the line how would I go about getting it out? And do you know how bad it is to change the thermostat? Just by what I have experienced so far I'm think it is the tstat but haven't checked the hoses yet

update:
I checked the hoses after driving home from work both were hot must have air in the system

Update: I just got on my pc (was on my phones internet earlier) and searched on how to bleed Thanks again for your help bud!

Last edited by jcrow; 03-02-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

could also be one or both of your fans. Sometimes the problem is intermittent.

Known issue so should be able to pull up threads to help diagnose.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
That^

Run the car with the radiator cap off and see if it bubbles or goes down after like 30 min of letting it sit on idle. Add coolant at times the fluid goes down. Cause that's air pockets.

Do this whole the engine is cold. Do not take the cap off of an already hot engine.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:29 PM
jcrow

I bled it using the bleeder valve and topped off coolant and she's been staying nice and cool so far and I have heat at idle now too

Search this Thread