Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stripped Differential Nut and Fixed!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
rainycityZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Differential Nut and Fixed!

This past week I found a pumpkin (w/ vlsd) for a bargain I couldn't say no to. I will probably get flamed for even going to a vlsd but I wanted to keep the ride in commission while I swap a quaife into the base pumpkin this summer.

Well I ran into a problem all too common on the forums...I stripped the damn rear diff nut. Read through the forums and found people hacksawing, drilling, etc... I really wanted to preserve my diff so and I was pretty damn sure there was a way to get it out. After several attempts I drove to my buddy's house and picked up his dremel.

Went to sears the next day to get the correct dremel bit in hopes to grind the sucker down and break it off. The threads would either have to be cleaned up, I would have to get a new bolt welded on, or a nismo cover had to be on the way. While searching for the bit I ran into the Craftsman "bolt-out" kit. I thought hell no, this won't work.

I decided to give it a shot and went with the impact series bolt-out kit so I could use a 3/8" drive as opposed to using crazy socket sizes for the "low-profile" bolt-out set. After some muscle the sucker came out. And by some muscle I mean i had the wrench at my hips with an extended aluminum tube for leverage and both my legs pushing against the driver side rear wheel. When the damn thing popped it sounded like a gun went off. By the way, I also used the jack to move the diff up and down to alleviate pressure while trying to pop off the bolt. After a few tries the bolt finally gave.

So for anyone who has a stripped bolt or nut, go to sears and pick of a set of these. It's a lifesaver and wont take you 10 hours like a hacksaw..

Enjoy, and hopefully this saves people some headaches.
Attached Thumbnails Stripped Differential Nut and Fixed!-img_0632.jpg   Stripped Differential Nut and Fixed!-img_0638.jpg   Stripped Differential Nut and Fixed!-img_0633.jpg  

Last edited by rainycityZ; 01-30-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stud on the diff can be replaced (it's like a wheel stud). I know because I had to replace mine after my POS energy bushing popped out and the stud was bent to all hell
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good call, ive had the low pro ones for a good 8 years or so. Definitely want the deep socket style .
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
rainycityZ

Good to know that bolt is replaceable.

And Ian, much love to a fellow ME.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 AM
iandude454

Originally Posted by djamps
The stud on the diff can be replaced (it's like a wheel stud). I know because I had to replace mine after my POS energy bushing popped out and the stud was bent to all hell

I'm in the same boat. How did you remove the bolt? Need help asap. I was thinking of using a large nut backed into a small nut used as a lock and,then loosen,the large nut against the small one. What did you do??
Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 PM
senger

What brand of bolt extractor did you use? I'm in the same boat and I tried a set today but it wasn't deep enough, I am also worried if the socket will be too thick.