Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bought new FW & PP, slightly larger than old. Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought new FW & PP, slightly larger than old. Will it work?

I have a 2006 ZR Touring with almost 80K miles, manufactured 02/2006 if that matters. The old clutch and everything looks factory, Luk brand and has NISSAN on it as well.

I bought a "OEM" Valeo clutch kit on Amazon, this one:
Amazon Amazon

I also bought a single mass lightweight FW on Amazon (risky, I know), this one:
Amazon Amazon

So I put the new pressure plate over the new flywheel, and the three holes in in the PP line up perfectly with the little pegs sticking out on the new FW. However, the holes on the new PP do NOT line up with the old FW.

Measuring both flywheels, the diameter of the new one is just about 3-4 mm bigger than the original.

So i'm wondering if this will even work. Will the starter motor still work with the new FW?

Did I get the wrong parts? The new FW claims to fit 03-07 Z's with the DE engine.

Here is a pic, you can see the diameter of the new parts is bigger. For instance the clutch disc is also bigger than the old one.

Thoughts???

Last edited by gregom; 03-24-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:23 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Good thing Amazon has such great return policies. Send it back.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 AM
gregom

Don't you think it isn't a coincidence that the new FW and PP fit together? Considering they weren't ordered from the same seller or even came from the same manufacturer. Makes me wonder... Maybe my 2006 Z doesn't have the 2006 Z engine and transmission? Seems unlikely I know. Just a thought.

I sent a message to both parts sellers on Amazon, i've got a response from the FW seller and they said they will check with their manufacturer and get back to me. So that is good they are at least talking to me.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Larger outer diameter FW wont work...

are you measuring OD or are you just looking at the cross section of the contact surfaces?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
gregom

Diameter, from edge to edge. Anyway, I checked the circumference of both flywheels, they are the same. So I imagine everything should be fine.

The friction surface area is larger on the new stuff I ordered though, it is weird. Again, I imagine this will all work. I'm going to put it together and find out. I'll be taking off my old flywheel tomorrow and see if I can install the starter.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM
gregom

So, turns out i'm a freaking n00b idiot. I didn't realize the dowels on the flywheel and associated holes on the pressure plate were made so the pressure plate only fits on one way. I thought they were all the same, but they aren't. So there is a specific orientation the pressure plate sits on the FW. Makes no sense to me, but that is what it is.

So the new PP fits on the old FW just fine. I just wasn't installing it correctly.

Be it known in case anyone else runs into this and finds this post.