Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 01:48 PM
alex30327

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO Mods

I stopped by my dealer today in Atlanta, and was told that the NISMO mods would be coming out sometime between Jan. & Feb. of 2003. They said that the mods will not void the warranty if installed by the dealer. I was also told a supercharger and a turbo kit will be available from Nimso, and expect to be able to get 450HP if you deem necessary in your 350Z. right now NISMO is allegedly doing testing on these new products.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:23 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I heard similar from a guy I know who works for a dealer as a master technician and he also mentioned about a turbocharger, he is trying to get some literature for me, we'll see.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:12 PM
350Now

I don't have a Z yet but talking to the dealership where I went they gave me the impression Nismo has no plans to bring in stuff for the Z as of yet.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:55 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

i hate spreading rumors but...

there is a warning in the service manual for the Z33 which concerns Turbos, and letting the engine run for a few minutes after hard runs.

doesnt mean much, but why is it there?!?!

m

Here is the text:

Precautions for Turbocharger (If Equipped)
The turbocharger turbine revolves at extremely high speeds and
becomes very hot. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a clean supply
of oil flowing through the turbocharger and to follow all required
maintenance instructions and operating procedures.
 Always use the recommended oil. Follow the instructions for
proper time to change the oil and proper oil level.
 Avoid accelerating engine to a high rpm immediately after starting.
 If engine had been operating at high rpm for an extended period
of time, let it idle for a few minutes prior to shutting if off.

I feel obligated to share info on every post... here is my first:

BONUS MATERIAL:
Spark plug Standard type PLFR5A - 11
Hot type PLFR4A - 11
Cold type PLFR6A - 11
Gap (Nominal) mm(in) 1.1 ( 0.043 )
Old 10-16-2002, 03:59 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

here is a cleaner view, a screenshot...
Attached Thumbnails NISMO Mods-turbo-small-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2002, 07:29 PM
jacen2y

Default skidazzle

if i'm not mistaken...that's fairly standard warning for all engines equipped with turbos...you should always warm up engines w/ turbos and let them cool down before shut down...
Old 10-16-2002, 07:38 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: skidazzle

Originally posted by jacen2y
if i'm not mistaken...that's fairly standard warning for all engines equipped with turbos...you should always warm up engines w/ turbos and let them cool down before shut down...
exactly my point.... did i miss the turbo on my car?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:44 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

I doubt that Nissan would put that in the service manual if there were no plans for a turbo to be put in the Z from factoy or as an option...this is a good sign.... even if nissan does not come ot with something this, to me, shows that they considered it at one point and it is a option for more power
Old 10-17-2002, 12:39 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default holy moley.....

SKiDaZZLe......very NICE find ---

I am with you... your find coupled with the post from InternetAbyss....that NISMO is supposedly testing a turbo...

Well.... this is very interesting !!!
Old 10-17-2002, 05:20 AM
RobGonda

That's a warning for every turbo engine out there. That's why you can buy a turbo timer. All it does is keep cooling your engine after you turn it off. It will leave you engine on and cooling for some period of time (about 5 minutes) after you turn it off ...
There are tons of turbo accessories out there... no need to worry.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:38 AM
J Ritt

SkidaZZle,
Great find! What, no page number?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:29 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by J Ritt
SkidaZZle,
Great find! What, no page number?
GI-6
(General Information section, page 6)
It is even in the Index Under "Turbocharger precautions"
Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
FstQban

What an intersting find. "We are not turbocharging the car, but SHOULD one become available this would be our factory recommendation for maintenance." Sounds to me like they were expecting one all along. Almost as interesting is the number of people who are just reading the text at face value! Why would you put this disclaimer for turbos in a non turbo charged car people? I have never had a car say that in it's owners manual before!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:01 PM
raceboy
Banned

One of the reasons I got rid of my MR2 Spyder and went to the Z was that there was always "going to be" a supercharger from TRD. There are still rumors, but neither a turbo or supercharger has ever materialized. Do you really believe that Nissan will make any forced induction kit that will not void the warranty?? I sure don't.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:07 AM
digerydingo

Not gonna happen I'm sure Nismo will make one killer turbo kit for the 350 but it will be aftermarket and definately will void warranty.

According to Sport Compact Car the front suspension setup is ready to take forward CV shafts eluding to a 4wd setup like the GTR. Either they will make a GTR 4wd turbocharged beast of a 350 or they are once again borrowing parts to keep costs down. You pick the best answer.

I got 3 different answers from 3 different dealers regarding Nismo parts arriving. I'll play it by year, and if it's anything like the Skyline comming stateside it'll be plenty of years before we see anything.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:41 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course any FI kit will void warranty. People expecting otherwise are just getting their hopes up to be let down. Of course, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't turbo our cars. We should, we will.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:43 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by TJZ
Of course any FI kit will void warranty. People expecting otherwise are just getting their hopes up to be let down. Of course, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't turbo our cars. We should, we will.
doesnt toyota (trd) make a supercharger aftermarket kit for some t100's or something? i think they are covered under warranty.

i am not saying nissan will, just wondering if it had been done already.

m
Old 10-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my .02 cents

I believe the inital marlketing with the Z was great. But If they had mentioned they were coming out with a turbo version, I thing half the owners would still be waiting for a turbo/supercharged version.

Although a lot of manifacturers are getting away from forced induction, They will eventualy realize that is what the race harted enthusiast wants. I backed out of my order after the rumors my self, just to see if it happens. Plus Nissan has a reputation to protect here, And N/A engine is definitely the smart way to come out first for reliability reasons.

With the competition catching up here, like the Mazda and rumored Supra for 2004. Nissan will have to up the power of the Z and I would imagine they will. Comon, even GM is starting to Turbocharge their cadillacs for 2004-05. We need to get in Nissans case about making this happen, BUT Keep the price inder $40K Or even better let us order a base or an enthusiast with a Turbo option for about $5000 more.

just my .02Cents

PS For now I am sticking w/ my 93.5 Supra TT, Until I can fill out an order form for a 350Z Twin turbo. And hopefully NON sequential. Because most Supra guys are now True Twin setups or singles. Eliminating the sequential set up. I love the Z but I need more power, and be able to turn that **** for more boost

Quick Reply: NISMO Mods