Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NEW NISMO "Short Shifter" (Adjustable Height Shifter) My Review...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post NEW NISMO "Short Shifter" (Adjustable Height Shifter) My Review...

NISMO Adjustable Height Shifter

Here is my review of the NISMO Adjustable Height Shifter (You will also see this shifter called the Mossy Short Shifter...

It is NOT a short throw shifter... It is basicly only adjustable in Height...

When it is installed there are 4 settings...

1: 20% taller then stock
2: Stock
3: 20% shorter then stock
4: 40% shorter then stock

Throw is not effected.

Emagine having a taller shift ****... Shifting between 1st and 2nd gear is almost 3 inches longer total throw.

Stock is stock...

for the other 2 settings hold your shift **** lower then you normally do and you will see how much the throw is... At the shortest setting... throw is about a total of 5 inches... At the shortest setting alot of force is needed to move the shifter especially with a light weight shiftknob like the NISMO ***** ****...

The shift **** does have some good design factors. In the photos below you will see there is a small piece below my shift ****. It is there to hold the factory leather or aftermarket leather shift boot in place when the shift ****'s height is adjusted. It can also be removed if you do not have a shift boot. (I re-installed the piece for the photos below)...

There is one improvment with this **** over the stock... They placed 2 o-rings on the shift **** socket that remove some of the vibration from the stock shifter.

The movable part that raises and lowers the shifter posistions rattles something fierce above 5000 RPM... Especially in 3rd gear it is at any RPM above 3000...

You know on the stock shifter how in order to get the shifter over to the right to shift into reverse you muse press down on the shifter? And if you shift between 5th and 6th the shifter will go straight down and not show that there is a notch to go over further to the right. With this shifter if you are in any position lower then factory height, shifting between 5th and 6th or even up to 5th from 4th you can get caught in the notch that lets you get over to 6th. No matter how hard you force it it will not shift into reverse unless you press down on the shifter.

When you move the shifter over to the right or to the left and (not up in a gear position) it does not bounce back to the center as freely as it does with the factory shift ****.

Looks like the selling price of this **** will be between $275-300. It is made out of steel harder then they make crank shafts out of so it is a very strong shifter.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:01 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you saying that it does not shorten the throws? Your review is a little confusing. I have had the shifter in my car for a while now and I know the throws are shorter than stock. Also mine is not rattling at high rpms...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
So are you saying that it does not shorten the throws? Your review is a little confusing. I have had the shifter in my car for a while now and I know the throws are shorter than stock. Also mine is not rattling at high rpms...
at the shorter settings then stock throw is shorter because the height of the shifter is shorter... If you hold the stock shifter below the shifter the throw will be just as much shorter as the short settings on the new shifter...

Maybe it is because I have the Tilton on my car and over all vibration is more in the shiter, there were no movable parts on the stock shifter to vibrate at all...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:07 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
at the shorter settings then stock throw is shorter because the height of the shifter is shorter... If you hold the stock shifter below the shifter the throw will be just as much shorter as the short settings on the new shifter...

Maybe it is because I have the Tilton on my car and over all vibration is more in the shiter, there were no movable parts on the stock shifter to vibrate at all...
So why is it not a short shifter? If it shortens the throw regardless of how is it not a short shifter?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
o snap its eric

Default Re: NEW NISMO "Short Shifter" (Adjustable Height Shifter) My Review...

NISMO Adjustable Height Shifter

You know on the stock shifter how in order to get the shifter over to the right to shift into reverse you muse press down on the shifter? And if you shift between 5th and 6th the shifter will go straight down and not show that there is a notch to go over further to the right. With this shifter if you are in any position lower then factory height, shifting between 5th and 6th or even up to 5th from 4th you can get caught in the notch that lets you get over to 6th. No matter how hard you force it it will not shift into reverse unless you press down on the shifter.

This worries me a bit. Can you explain a little more? So if im shifting fast in a race and i do a 4th-5th gear change i can get stuck in the notch which may hurt my race time and what not? What is the likelyhood of someone hitting the notch and accidentally going reverse?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

you wont go into reverse unless you press down on the shift ****...

but if shifting fast fromt 4th to 5th you may go over too far so it will be hard to push the **** up into 5th... when before you could not go over too far...

shifting from 2nd to 3rd is dificult as well since the **** does not go back to the center as quickly as it would when you just presssed the stock **** forward...

they may make some revisoins to the ****... i do not know... this is how mine is working...
Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

oh an explination of my pictures will help

This picture shows the longest setting of the shifter in the center position.

This picture shows the "stock" setting of the shifter in the center position.

This picture shows the 20% shorter setting of the shifter in the center position.

This picture shows the 40% shorter setting of the shifter in the center position.

This picture shows 3rd to 4th gear shift throw at the longest setting.

This picture shows the 3rd to 4th gear shift throw at the shortest setting.

Last edited by Jason@Performance; 11-21-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 AM
o snap its eric

thanks, Mossy has a very nice concept going here however, the difficulty to utlize this new "short shifter" seems to overpower the nice concept they have going.

If there are revisions of the problems you have posted then i would definitly get it. I hope they do and i hope they will actually make the throws shorter not just feeel shorter. Thanks for the review!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Personally I love the feel of the stock shifter...

I would consider the B&M for a short throw shifter since the height is not changed.

I do not love the fact that the shifter must be made even shorter to feel a slightly shorter throw then the stock was... The extra arm travel doesnt do it for me...

Personally id save the $100 and go B&M

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=856
Old 11-21-2004, 10:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Personally I love the feel of the stock shifter...

I would consider the B&M for a short throw shifter since the height is not changed.

I do not love the fact that the shifter must be made even shorter to feel a slightly shorter throw then the stock was... The extra arm travel doesnt do it for me...

Personally id save the $100 and go B&M

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=856
After the horror of what happened with B&Ms B15 short shifter and some of the stories I've heard here the only B&M product I purchase will be for me 1970 Mustang.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

After the horror of what happened with B&Ms B15 short shifter and some of the stories I've heard here the only B&M product I purchase will be for me 1970 Mustang.
The design of the B15 shifter and the Z33 is totally different...

The difference between the B&M / NISMO / STOCK shifter is the angle and length betwen the shift ball... It is not made up of a bunch of little parts...

I will have pictures of the NISMO Short Shifter and B&M side to side on Monday or Tuesday...

here is a pic of a B15 short shifter...

Old 11-21-2004, 11:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

The design of the B15 shifter and the Z33 is totally different...

The difference between the B&M / NISMO / STOCK shifter is the angle and length betwen the shift ball... It is not made up of a bunch of little parts...

I will have pictures of the NISMO Short Shifter and B&M side to side on Monday or Tuesday...

here is a pic of a B15 short shifter...

Yeah I know what the Nismo B15 shifter looks like I lent my car to Steve to do the prototyping on it. I was referring to the quality issues that have been brought up with the B&M.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:02 PM
company man

The description above of this shifter only lowering the height is incorrect. If this were true, we wouldn't have been able to apply for a patent. The Shift Shaft is one solid piece. Lowering the shifter arm shortens the length between the Shift **** and Swivel Ball while lengthening the shifter from the Swivel Ball to the Transmission Connector.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by company man
The description above of this shifter only lowering the height is incorrect. If this were true, we wouldn't have been able to apply for a patent. The Shift Shaft is one solid piece. Lowering the shifter arm shortens the length between the Shift **** and Swivel Ball while lengthening the shifter from the Swivel Ball to the Transmission Connector.

nice..yeah I was pretty sure thats what it did....
Old 11-21-2004, 05:11 PM
company man

Default Correct Install

This unit has to be installed correctly.

There is an inherent problem with the stock shifter socket being too small in diameter to fit the transmission housing, causing a rattle in the mid rpm range. The use of O-rings is to solve this problem.

If the O-rings are stretched to tight on the socket, during installation on the car, the shifter can rattle.

Also, if the reverse lockout plate is improperly adjusted, your 4th to 5th gear shift will not be smooth.

Jason is now experiencing both these problems on his car. Checking the install will solve these problems.

The ability to adjust this shifter to what feels good for you is no different than changing the tilt of your steering wheel.

Everyone will have their own preference and not everyone is going to like where you might have it set.

What makes this cool is that now, for the first time, you can adjust the height and throw of your stick shift to how you want it.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Ok...

So it does change the throw as shown in the diagram I made below... But at the same time... when making the shift lever shorter for the driver, it takes more force to move the shifter its self...

The below diagram shows 2 settings of the shifter... lets say longest height setting (longest throw) and shortest height setting (shortest throw)... (labeled 1 and 2)...

#1 explination...
Drivers perspective is a taller shift lever with a longer throw. But, while the shifter is longer, the amount of force needed to move the red-dot (which connects to the tranny lever) is less since you have more leverage...

#2 explination...
Drivers perspective is a shorter shifter with a shorter throw. But, while the shifter is shorter, the amount of force needed to move the red-dot (which connects to the tranny lever) is greater since you have less leverage...

What would be ideal to me as a driver... A shift lever with stock effort and a shorter throw... I personally do not want to sacrifice greater strenth involved in shifting for a shorter throw...

The below diagram was done by me and is in the mail pending "poor mans copyright" as of 6PM PST 11-21-2004 :P

here is a picture of the actual shifter...

Old 11-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: Correct Install

Originally posted by company man
This unit has to be installed correctly.

There is an inherent problem with the stock shifter socket being too small in diameter to fit the transmission housing, causing a rattle in the mid rpm range. The use of O-rings is to solve this problem.

If the O-rings are stretched to tight on the socket, during installation on the car, the shifter can rattle.

Also, if the reverse lockout plate is improperly adjusted, your 4th to 5th gear shift will not be smooth.

Jason is now experiencing both these problems on his car. Checking the install will solve these problems.

The ability to adjust this shifter to what feels good for you is no different than changing the tilt of your steering wheel.

Everyone will have their own preference and not everyone is going to like where you might have it set.

What makes this cool is that now, for the first time, you can adjust the height and throw of your stick shift to how you want it.

Will look into the install being an issue... They may have put the lock out plate in a weird position some how...
Old 11-21-2004, 05:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

So whats the problem. I assume you are not significantly weaker than the half dozen or so Z owners who drove my car with the shifter on max short. None of them ever mentioned that the force required to move the shifter was signifcantly greater then stock. On the contrary most noted that it did NOT require a significant amount of force nor did they feel that it was in anyway notchy.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:52 PM
THX723

For those that are still confused ...

It has been incorrectly assumed this shifter achieves its 'reduced throw' from simply reducing the height of the shift ****, or in essence no different than using a short an/or counter-sunk **** such as the Nismo GT or others. Doing that will indeed cut down the 'throw', but not significantly enough and in which case technically does NOT qualify as a true 'short shifter'.

This (Nismo) shifter achieves its 'shorter throw' primarily by increasing the length below the ball (same approach as the Rogue and B&M); effectively changing the fulcrum point. As a side effect of being 'adjustable', the shift **** also raises/lowers and have the added bonus of further magnifying the difference in overall throw length between the four settings.

Hope that clears it up
Old 11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

So whats the problem. I assume you are not significantly weaker than the half dozen or so Z owners who drove my car with the shifter on max short. None of them ever mentioned that the force required to move the shifter was signifcantly greater then stock. On the contrary most noted that it did NOT require a significant amount of force nor did they feel that it was in anyway notchy.
It is a bit greater if you are running a lighter weight shift ****... And the most comfortable shift **** to me is the black ball NISMO **** which is far lighter then the more common NISMO Shaft style ***** or GT Titanium style *****... Putting one of them on will make shifting less restrictive... The way I shift, the least amount of effort the better...

Quick Reply: NEW NISMO "Short Shifter" (Adjustable Height Shifter) My Review...