Notices

DIY plenum porting

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:10 PM
E K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did alot of this about 2 years ago. I cleaned up the castings on the lower plenum, intake manifold, and the intake side of the heads.

Everything was portmatched. Venturi ring to intake tube, throttle body to plenum, lower plenum runners to intake manifold, and intake manifold to the intake side of the heads.

I dynoed the car with some work done, and then redynoed after even more of the porting and polishing. Between those two states the car made another 6 HP on the same dynapack.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
bilinghm

beautiful workmanship!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i took more meat outta the lower runners. i got that whole groove out all the way around on each runner where it goes into the head.

not sure what i did cause i havent tuned and dynoed it since
Old 05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
FOO_G

Originally Posted by E K
I did alot of this about 2 years ago. I cleaned up the castings on the lower plenum, intake manifold, and the intake side of the heads.

Everything was portmatched. Venturi ring to intake tube, throttle body to plenum, lower plenum runners to intake manifold, and intake manifold to the intake side of the heads.

I dynoed the car with some work done, and then redynoed after even more of the porting and polishing. Between those two states the car made another 6 HP on the same dynapack.

WOW!!! Great work.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Sleepy79

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
thats not ported.... this is ported, will have dynos soon
You have no velocity stacks, there is no way you can make reasonable power with this.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
lex350

nice
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a FI setup he could more than likely make more power. However with NA there is no way that he could maintain a useable power band for a street driven Z. If we could rev the engines higher however it could be usable.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E K

Awesome work Albert!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Why do you guys have to have his whole post filled with pictures in your post? Do we need to do that?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

just thought it would be funny to add to the pictures...

we will see what happens. i used to race hondas. pre 1997 and those motors have a different powerband. i will see what happens with my setup soon. you dont know unless you try it. as far as the guy who said i wont make any power. have you tried this exact same setup. i highly doubt it....

Originally Posted by E K

Old 05-01-2006, 06:51 PM
bilinghm

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Getting closer!
That was an early version of MREV+.

There is still a ways to go.

Hint: Thinking out of the box can also mean thinking out of (or beyond one) dimension or axis.
So The DIY plenum is pretty much like the one that started this whole conversation? The original Mrev+ before you incorporated the additional, still secret, modifications?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeremy, I have $20 saying your powerband goes to $hit, TQ loses and not enough gains up top to justify-but nice try. Ive seen it done....
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Just a feel for what it will do.

If the 287 plenum is tuned for 6500
And the REVUP is tuned for 7000
I would estimate your new tune will be somewhere around 10K PRM.
So your engine will be drawing in air like a pump with no help from helmholtz resonance.

And the entrance coefficent won't be good unless you can properly conture the inlets.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by bilinghm
So The DIY plenum is pretty much like the one that started this whole conversation? The original Mrev+ before you incorporated the additional, still secret, modifications?
Its what I have been doing for some time up until recently.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:21 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy's solution will just be to up his N20 shot.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

listen.... i dont really care what happens. i had an extra lower plenum and felt like doing something that i havent seen done. 90% of the people on these boards wait till someone does something, then they buy it after seeing hundreds of dyno sheets on it, then they pay someone else to do the work for them. that is not me. i like to cut stuff up and figure out my own ways. if it doesnt work then i will put my stock one back on. no big deal

alberto, i can always just put it in the closet till we figure out how to rev our engines to 9000-10 000

the lower runners are still 6 inches long, it should be plenty of runner length. my car stays above 5500 when i am driving it hard where hp matters more than torque. i have a 150 shot that is about 240 ft pds of tq down low if i need torque. i have very little money in this. just trying to figure out an inexpensive way of doing "something" to these cars...
Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Hey Jeremy,

Not to be critical, I was just giving a prediction of what will happen on the dyno. Maybe we could be surprised by the dyno results.

Its good that you are taking the initiative to do something different.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

thanks man, greatly appreciated. you never know what might happen. i dont think anyone should rag on anyone doing something new or out of the ordinary. these engines are still new and many many tricks will be discovered in the near future i am sure....
Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 AM
bilinghm

Anybody up for an experiment?

I have an idea for modifying the lower plenum that is a pretty radical departure from what is currently being done. You guys know that I have apretty decent degree of skill at doing the machine work, so here is the proposal.

If someone will ship to me a good lower plenum, I will carryout a complete machining job and return it in a couple of weeks. I will post a record of the modifications for all to see. No secrets here. all that is required is that my "partner" in this experiment install the plenum and dyno test it.

My idea may be a big winner or a big loser. Anybody intersted?
Could be fun

Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine just sitting around since the SSV Kinetix is on the car now. SO depending on what you are talking about doing to the plenum, i may be game. Always willing to try something new.

Later
Aceman

Quick Reply: DIY plenum porting