Notices

Oil Cooler Install With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBALDINELLII
They are on the list, just not in the picture. #5 on the list of stuff you need mentions 4 are needed. I'm not sure why I didn't put them in the picture. My bad.
Hmm no actually im talking about the male/male piece that goes into the heater core that allows those 90 degree 10-an fittings to be put onto it.

Something like this is what I had to buy:

IconZ33 did you get these? Otherwise your gonna go my style and be missing those when you try and put it together lol
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
RBALDINELLII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We must be talking about two different things. The sandwhich plate does get those fittings. Mine are blue. I installed two 90's on them and two 90's on the oil cooler itself. That was it. My oil cooler already had male connectors installed in the cooler by Earls so all I had to do was put the 90's right on it. Unless the cooler has changed and it may have. You guys may want to check since it's been a while.

My cooler looks like this with fittings already installed.
http://www.holley.com/21610ERL.asp

Last edited by RBALDINELLII; 04-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
jining

oh interesting, yea mine didnt come with any male fittings, strange because I ordered the same 16 row cooler as you from summit ^_^
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM
TTRANK

I just got a 19 row Earl's cooler and it came with those fittings.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
gothchick

I recently installed the Stillen unit. It came with AN anodized fittings & stainless hose. I was also quite impressed with the nifty mounting bracket. Puts the cooler right up next to the radiator (without those cheesy ziptie things that go through the radiator).

I average about 180F with 80F ambients. I've seen it peak at 205F in stop & go traffic or when getting on it pretty hard, but then temps come right back down to 180F as soon as there is some air flow through the cooler.

Without the cooler I was averaging about 195F and peaking at about 227F.

The cooler dropped oil temps by about 15F~25F.

Edit: I'm measuring temps from an AEM Oil Temp Gauge with the sending unit mounted "before" the cooler.

Last edited by gothchick; 05-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
thinking

Originally Posted by gothchick
I recently installed the Stillen unit....
Good info. May I ask a few questions?
1. Can you determine what brand/model oil cooler comes with that package?
2. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Stillen has a sandwich plate, but it is not thermostatic.
3. Any pics of the finished install?
4. I thought you were miss diy, any reason you chose the Stillen kit rather than piecing together your own?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by thinking
Good info. May I ask a few questions?
1. Can you determine what brand/model oil cooler comes with that package?
2. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Stillen has a sandwich plate, but it is not thermostatic.
3. Any pics of the finished install?
4. I thought you were miss diy, any reason you chose the Stillen kit rather than piecing together your own?
No Problemo~ :-)

1) Setrab 19 row
2) Correct
3) I'll snap some pics off this weekend. We'll have the car back on the lift for some continuing mods.
4) Sadly (pathetic) I wimped out cuz I didn't have a hose crimper for the AN to Stainless Hose fittings, and I was having a little anxiety over being able to properly crimp the hose fittings even if I had a crimper. Although Aeroquip makes a great Socketless Hose. They just don't make it in stainless... (which is what I wanted).

So I just bought a nice kit instead. No hassle. Works good. A little over-priced though compared to sourcing a kit from scratch.

These guys have some great stuff if you're sourcing parts for your own diy kit.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler.htm
http://store.summitracing.com/

Edit: Here's some pics of the Stillen unit~
Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler Install With Pictures-dsc02347.jpg   Oil Cooler Install With Pictures-dsc02350.jpg   Oil Cooler Install With Pictures-dsc02348.jpg   Oil Cooler Install With Pictures-dsc02338.jpg   Oil Cooler Install With Pictures-dsc02345.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 06-02-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:39 PM
thinking

Muchas gracias!
So, if I put on Stillen's power steering cooler and oil cooler the air to the radiator (which is already behind the a/c condenser) will be about 75% blocked.
Hmmm...
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
gothchick

I wouldn't think so. Certainly no worse than putting a FMIC on your car... I'm quite pleased with the temps my car runs at now. Although I should add that I also have a Koyo R-Core (the BIG one) radiator installed as well. :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 05-19-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:06 PM
tonyrd1

Gothchick - where did you bought your Stillen kits? i probably need one very soon, its so damn hot today in Seattle (95F)
Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Z-Track

Gothchick - what are the physical dimensions of the oil cooler?

By chance do you know the "Series" if not the length will tell me.

Thanks

Last edited by Z-Track; 05-19-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 AM
gothchick

Hmmm, I'll take physical measurements of the cooler itself, I'm not sure off the top of my head...

As for where I purchased it, it can be readily purchased almost anywhere. I got mine from Kyle at Import Parts Pro. He has great customer service, is reliable, has good prices, and puts up with my stupid questions. Lol~ I buy most of my stuff from him, actually... :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 05-19-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have the setrab part number, you can get the core sizing directly off setrab's website.

as far as kits go. you can definitely piece together something for alot less than what some places are charging for 'kits'
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
gothchick

Just measured the cooler; 13" x 6" x 2"
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
NOSTALGIC_hero

Hmm... I have to say good job on the installation of the oil cooler- just a few things I noticed that may keep you happy down the road.. Since you purchased the stainless hoses pre-assembled, I would suggest going to a local stereo shop and getting some black PVC loom to put over the hose.
If you want something less "novice" like loom, and are up to the task, disassemble one hose end and slide some DR-25 over, reinstall your hose end and shrink in place.

The reason why i mentioned covering the hose was concerning the outermost cooler hose that appears very close to your radiator core.

Also, having some background in racing hose and materials, I would suggest calling Stillen to varify if the hose you have in the oil cooler kit is AQP from Aeroquip (most likely) and if thats the case.. you should be fine. If not, its likely to be rubber, which sucks for oil applications as the oil will harden the rubber. This in turn causes small cracks and hardening of the rubber (from engine vibrations/driving) which will cause leaks, and poor servicability.

In the future, if you decide to replace that. I would suggest some pre-crimped PTFE hose like BMRS, or Aeroquip startlite. (i like BMRS better tho)

I'm also NOT a fan of stacked sandwich adapters... I'm suprized Stillen OK'd a design like that..

I guess we'll see how it performs over time.

Good pics, good core, clean work!

Last edited by NOSTALGIC_hero; 05-21-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Lawy'dU

bookmarking!! Thank you sir!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Z-Track

Just measured the cooler; 13" x 6" x 2"
Thanks -
Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by NOSTALGIC_hero
Hmm... I have to say good job on the installation of the oil cooler- just a few things I noticed that may keep you happy down the road.. Since you purchased the stainless hoses pre-assembled, I would suggest going to a local stereo shop and getting some black PVC loom to put over the hose.
If you want something less "novice" like loom, and are up to the task, disassemble one hose end and slide some DR-25 over, reinstall your hose end and shrink in place.

The reason why i mentioned covering the hose was concerning the outermost cooler hose that appears very close to your radiator core.

Also, having some background in racing hose and materials, I would suggest calling Stillen to varify if the hose you have in the oil cooler kit is AQP from Aeroquip (most likely) and if thats the case.. you should be fine. If not, its likely to be rubber, which sucks for oil applications as the oil will harden the rubber. This in turn causes small cracks and hardening of the rubber (from engine vibrations/driving) which will cause leaks, and poor servicability.

In the future, if you decide to replace that. I would suggest some pre-crimped PTFE hose like BMRS, or Aeroquip startlite. (i like BMRS better tho)

I'm also NOT a fan of stacked sandwich adapters... I'm suprized Stillen OK'd a design like that..

I guess we'll see how it performs over time.

Good pics, good core, clean work!
Awesome input! Thanks a bunch~

Yeah, wrapping stainless hose is definitely a good idea if there's a chance it can rub on anything. Stainless is quite abrasive. In my case, it's not touching or rubbing anything.

How would you suggest circulating oil to the cooler if a sandwich plate is not used?

I'd like to omit one of my sandwich plates. I just got my AAM oil pan spacer in the mail the other day. I think I'm going to run the oil temp sending unit from that instead of the Greddy sandwich plate.

I'm thinking multiple sandwich plates are not the best idea, but so far mine have had no issues with leakage, high/low pressure, etc.

Last edited by gothchick; 06-04-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome input! Thanks a bunch~

Yeah, wrapping stainless hose is definitely a good idea if there's a chance it can rub on anything. Stainless is quite abrasive. In my case, it's not touching or rubbing anything.

How would you suggest circulating oil to the cooler if a sandwich plate is not used?

I'd like to omit one of my sandwich plates. I just got my AAM oil pan spacer in the mail the other day. I think I'm going to run the oil temp sending unit from that instead of the Greddy sandwich plate.

I'm thinking multiple sandwich plates are not the best idea, but so far mine have had no issues with leakage, high/low pressure, etc.

I did this to an oem pan - oil temp sensor bung welded on.......gonna install it today...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/358629-oil-pan-bung-oil-temp-sensor-mount.html
- j
Old 10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
NOBI

this looks like a great weekend project. nice write up.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Install With Pictures