Notices

Oil Cooler Install With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:05 AM
RBALDINELLII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Install With Pictures

In the continued preperation for up coming track days, I decided to install an oil cooler. I figured an oil cooler would be cheap insurance at extending engine life. I looked at all the oil coolers that were available and decided to put my own setup together. The problem I found with the ones that came ready for the 350Z were that they were small, expensive, and with the intercooler, they were hard to mount in an area in the grill that would receive air flow. Here are the parts:
Name:  OilCoolerItems.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  61.3 KB
1. Earls 16 Row oil Cooler-#21610ERL
2. Mocal Thermostatically controlled sandwhich plate-#SP1FT
3. 10' of -10an Aeroquip Socketless Hose-#FCV1010 (Only used 5ft)
4. -10an to 1/2" fitting x2-#220047 (These are the blue fittings in the Sandwhich plate.)
5. 90 degree -10an socketless fitting x4-FBM1534 (2 on the oil cooler, 2 connected to the fittings on the sandwhich plate)
6. Teflon tape at all connections.
I bought all of this from Summit Racing except for the sandwhich plate. I found it at Racer Parts Wholesale.

Here's a picture of where I mounted the oil cooler. I wasn't able to mount it the way I wanted to, so here was my second choice. Working around the intercooler makes options tough. It is mounted at an angle to hopefully catch air coming in through our small grill and direct it over the majority of the cooler.
Name:  OilCooler2002.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  14.3 KB

Here's a picture of the Mocal sandwich plate with the necessary fittings.
Name:  OilCooler2001.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  68.4 KB
The finished product. 90% of the oil cooler gets direct airflow through the grill. Earls oil cooler installed using (2) 90 degree fittings. -10an Aeroquip hose connected. Although you don't have to use hose clamps on socketless hose, I did anyways since I had them laying around. Call it peace of mind.
Name:  OilCooler3001.jpg
Views: 5865
Size:  63.0 KB

Mocal sandwhich plate with hose connected. Once again I added hose clamps. I routed both hoses through the plastic shield near the winshield wiper fluid container.
Name:  OilCooler3002.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  OilCooler3003.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  22.3 KB

Before this install took place, a friend and I getto rigged an oil temperature gauge to my car. We went for some VERY spirited driving and noted oil temperatures of 230 degrees. This was last weekend when the temperatures outside were 90 degrees. 10w-40 Synthetic oil used.

After install, same getto rigged oil temperature gauge installed, we took the car for the same drive. Outside temperature were about 95 today. New 10w-40 synthetic oil. Oil temperatures were in the 200-205 range, max. Seems like the oil cooler works well. I did have to add an extra 1/2 quart of oil and will check it again later. More may be needed. I'll just have to watch and see.

I wish I could take credit for an original idea, but I had a lot of help from 350Zteve. I PM'd him numerous times in regards to the install. He was extremely helpful. You can find his post here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....cooler+install

Last edited by RBALDINELLII; 06-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
RBALDINELLII

A little under $300. It can be done a lot less.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:56 AM
RBALDINELLII

My power stock power steering cooler is on the left side of the intercooler. I still haven't figured out where to put the Earls cooler yet for it.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RBALDINELLII
My power stock power steering cooler is on the left side of the intercooler. I still haven't figured out where to put the Earls cooler yet for it.
That looks like nice install.

just to let you know, there is an Ebay vendor that puts together a nice setup for a relatively good price:

Remote mount oil cooler setup for 289

or

Filter plate installed oil cooler setup for 249

I have one of these on order. Unfortunately FedEx lost the package a couple weeks ago, so I have yet to get this inhand. I have bought from this vendor before and he has been more than helpful resolving the shipping issue I have on my current purchase. The core he uses looks to be the same as the earls 19 row core. I had attempted to price everything out, and found the ebay package to be a good price for a complete setup.

Good luck - happy boosting
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the nismo power steering cooler and my installer mounted it basically on top of the intercooler behind the bumper brace. It's not in direct contact with outside air, but air gets sucked up into that area. I haven't had a chance to test if I'd lose power steering on the track yet - too damn hot for tracking - 110 degrees outside here

I have my vortech air filter relocated to be in that area as well just like the ATI and TN kit
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman

just to let you know, there is an Ebay vendor that puts together a nice setup for a relatively good price:

or

I have one of these on order. Unfortunately FedEx lost the package a couple weeks ago, so I have yet to get this inhand. I have bought from this vendor before and he has been more than helpful resolving the shipping issue I have on my current purchase. The core he uses looks to be the same as the earls 19 row core. I had attempted to price everything out, and found the ebay package to be a good price for a complete setup.

those kits look nice, but I'm not sure if the cooler being 10 inches wide instead of 8 would fit as well if you have an ATI or vortech
Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM
RBALDINELLII

Picking the right size oil cooler was hard to determine because I wasn't sure just how big everything would be assembled. Where I mounted mine, it couldn't be any taller. I could have gone a few inches wider for sure.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by Zivman

or

Where exactly does the filter oil cooler mount?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
bullseye

Just a slight clarification for the uninitiated: The teflon tape was used on the pipe thread mating surfaces only, not on the flare connections.

Sweet installation, by the way!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
DMK

One other observation: How come the one on ebay has extra lines and a engine block adapter for engine oil coming directly from the engine? Does your method work just as well?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
RBALDINELLII

Originally Posted by bullseye
Just a slight clarification for the uninitiated: The teflon tape was used on the pipe thread mating surfaces only, not on the flare connections.

Sweet installation, by the way!
My original post was about 4 months ago and I can, without a doubt, say that it works great. No issue's what so ever. As for the teflon tape, it is deffinately only on the threads.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
jondajester

Originally Posted by DMK
One other observation: How come the one on ebay has extra lines and a engine block adapter for engine oil coming directly from the engine? Does your method work just as well?
Its not an extra one, its an oil filter mount.
The oil filter is mounted remotely and easier to get to when changing, but the major problem with this setup is getting the right engine mount, as they tend to loosen up overtime and you get an oil leak. The one used in this write up screws on to the stock filter mount with an extension so the leaks are eliminated and you don't relocate the filter. which also saves you from running an extra line.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up! I have my eye on this as one of my next mods...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM
THE TECH

Very, very nice setup.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Barzten1

Thanks for this. Have the Stillen oil cooler in my garage waiting for install. Im going to try to do it myself with a friend. How long did the install take?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

very nice
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Barzten1

Well took us a couple hours but it came out nice. Not much room with the intercooler piping and intercooler for the Vortech kit. Gunna go give it a spin now and see if we cant spring any leaks.

Last edited by Barzten1; 07-09-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM
RBALDINELLII

Congrats. You'll be surprised how well it works. Over all, I probably spent two hours putting it on and checking it, and re-checking, and then triple checking. The first few days I was under the car constantly. It never leaked. Hope your happy with it.

Last edited by RBALDINELLII; 07-13-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Barzten1

Yeah no leaks at all. I was getting tired of being under my car as well. Thanks for all the help bro!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently im using the Greddy Sandwich plate since it has ports for my oil pressure and temp gauges. What are you guys doing about your sensors? Doesnt look like this sandwhich plate has NPT ports.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Install With Pictures