Notices

Homemade Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The catch can works, i had a good amount in mine when I just cleaned it recently. Now if I can only get that breather filter mod thread link, or atleast the amsoil part number, for the driver side, then i would be set.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a naturally aspirated setup, is a catch can on the driver's side that beneficial?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will help, but not all that much. Even on my TT G35, the drivers side catch can gets very little blow by. My passengers side is not my more, though.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
It will help, but not all that much. Even on my TT G35, the drivers side catch can gets very little blow by. My passengers side is not my more, though.

I don't even know how'd I'd be able to fit the can in the little space on the driver's side. I'd have to route some serious tubing to an open area, use a bunch of brass fittings to make the harsh angles, and more brass fittings to adapt the 5/8" hose to the 1/4" inlet on the catch can.

I'm thinking it's not worth it. Especially since I'm n/a.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

It's not that hard, I fit a Greddy catch can on my drivers side, and if you have ever seen a JWT TT install, it's a rather tight fit.

You are right though, it's probably not woryj ot pm an n/a motor.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
red_magic2000

Recently bought a catch can and can't fit anywhere. I have a 2008 Z, anyone else bought an aftermarket catch can and have it mounted on their HR? I saw some installed on the driver's side, but they had aftermarket air intakes. Pictures would be great thanks. If this fails, I'll just have to do with the Home Depot version, but I like my aluminum catch can
Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Doh-Joe

This is thread really caught my attention. OK, so my Z has a DE motor. I was looking into the engine bay today and on the passenger side their is A LOT of wires going on their. So just to be sure could you guys tell me if this is what I'm suppose to take out (In red).

And I'm assuming I need to take the engine cover off and wherever that line in yellow continues thats the other end of it?

The green is that where the arrow should be pointing towards from top of the catch can indicates?

Last edited by Doh-Joe; 09-22-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
blackfairlady

^^That is exactly the hose you need to remove. When you take off the engine cover, you will see where it leads. It goes to the return inlet (it's a bronze metal color) leading back into the plenum.

You should situate the catch can so that the airflow is going into this inlet plenum from the PCV. In other words, the arrow goes away from what you have underlined in green in the above picture.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Doh-Joe

^^^ Sweet. Thank a lot for that info.
I pretty much figured out how to put the part together in my head and now that I know where it goes I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Doh-Joe

Originally Posted by i8acobra

Instructions:
First thing you need to do is take apart the water filter and discard the white element inside (there may also be a plastic piece that looks like a gear. Discard it as well). Then reassemble the container.
Last question. I see the plastic gear looking piece OP was talking about. Whats the "white element"? When I take the filter apart I see the "gear" piece, a hollow cylinder piece, the flat plastic piece, and a big screw holding all that together. So what goes and what stays?

Edit: I have the blue Kobalt filter from Lowes if that is relevant.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by 05 PPW Z33
Last question. I see the plastic gear looking piece OP was talking about. Whats the "white element"? When I take the filter apart I see the "gear" piece, a hollow cylinder piece, the flat plastic piece, and a big screw holding all that together. So what goes and what stays?

Edit: I have the blue Kobalt filter from Lowes if that is relevant.

Take out the screw, and whatever loosens up...chuck it.

That's what I did with mine, but it's a Husky brand. Inside, I had a gear, a golden cylinder looking thingy, a screw, and I think that was it.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Z3303

Great write up! Would this be a benefit for me? i own a 2003 z with 50k. Is it something to be concerned about if its not done?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3303
Great write up! Would this be a benefit for me? i own a 2003 z with 50k. Is it something to be concerned about if its not done?
Yes. I usually install this on every car I own. Cheap insurance.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 PM
blackfairlady

i8acobra, or anyone who thinks they can give me an answer with some solid justification, how high could I let the level of the oil get in my Husky-brand catch can before it starts doing more harm than good? In other words, before it starts sucking up the oil deposited in there. From what I can gather, the thin cylinder dropping down into the catch can is the output "clean air" collector. Is it okay to run the oil up to just below the point where it would be touching the collector? I'm inclined to think not for 2 reasons:

1) the vacuum air suction is probably quite intense, so it would act as more of a straw to the oil = bad

2) What happens if I throw my car through some turns? What level would I be able to let the can fill up to before it starts sucking the collected oil into the plenum? In combination with the fact that the air moving through the can already causes the collected oil to get riled up inside the can (if anyone's ever watch it with their motor running), if I do any serious cornering, I'd also have the level of oil going from --- to / on a hard left, or \ on a hard right. Wouldn't that further increase the chances of damaging oil suction --> plenum happening?

I opened up my plenum yesterday to see how the PCV can worked before I install my driver's side can, and there was not pooling of oil whatsoever in the plenum, just an oily film covering it. I shouldn't expect it to be bone dry even with a catch can, should I?

I hope all of what I am saying makes sense. I think it's some important information that should be included in this thread.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

I never let mine get above half. Yes, there's quite a bit of suction. I believe much more suction than there should be. I've said all along, I think this is the cause of the '06 Rev-Up oil consumption problem. I think the PCV system is poorly designed. Start the car and pull the hose off the plenum. Place your finger near the hole. The suction is strong enough that it almost hurts. This is much stronger than any other car I've owned.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
blackfairlady

Thanks for the speedy response i8acobra.

So the slight oily film on the inside of the plenum is nothing to worry about? It seems as if pooling of oil is what we should be concerned about.

I also read on G35driver that putting the can in the coolest possible area, along with using long sections of hoses to make the travel of air a good distance before getting to the can helps with oil separation and collection.

My can sits about where yours does (i8acobra), maybe a little closer, and my hoses are pretty short. I wanted to keep the setup compact and clean looking. I really don't want to change it. Nevertheless, do you have thoughts on what was said on G35driver?

Last edited by blackfairlady; 09-28-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 PM
red_magic2000

Just got done with mine. I hear a hissing sound and can't seem to tell if theres a leak or the bowl plastic is so thin you can hear the air rushing through it. Does anyone else hear a hiss. I already sealed the bottom drain plug. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Catch Can-dsc00505.jpg   Homemade Catch Can-dsc00506.jpg   Homemade Catch Can-dsc00507.jpg   Homemade Catch Can-dsc00508.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by red_magic2000
Just got done with mine. I hear a hissing sound and can't seem to tell if theres a leak or the bowl plastic is so thin you can hear the air rushing through it. Does anyone else hear a hiss. I already sealed the bottom drain plug. Here are some pics.

You most likely set it up just fine. The hissing sound is probably just the air rushing through the catch can. I asked the OP the same question a while ago, and that's what he told me.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM
red_magic2000

Originally Posted by blackfairlady
You most likely set it up just fine. The hissing sound is probably just the air rushing through the catch can. I asked the OP the same question a while ago, and that's what he told me.
Thanks thats what I thought also. Really wanted the aftermarket catch can, but just couldn't fit it anywhere. Even this home depot version is a little bigger than some of the guys here are using. As far as the hiss, from what I've read, the suction on the HR is quite strong, so its got to be the air rushing through.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
J. Dub

Can us stock guys gain anything from this?

Quick Reply: Homemade Catch Can