Notices

Homemade Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've read this thing twice and must just be retarded b/c I can't figure this out. I bought everything and got ready to install it then read that for boosted app some people were hooking it to a vacuum. For clarification, me being boosted, how should I hook up the pass side one? Do I just block off the nipple to the plenum?

As for the driver side, if air is being sucked IN through there, why bother with a breather? Why not just leave it hooked to the intake? Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
Was bored today... Fabbed up a bracket and switched to stainless hose with anodized fittings. I've been running this catchcan with stainless mesh for about a year. Totally happy with it. I cracked open my plenum last weekend just to see how well this catchcan has worked over the last year, and it was spotless. :-)
that looks good, where did you get the anodized fittings from?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

gothchick looks great would look better if you atleast took a sharpie to the brass fittings.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great minds must think alike... Lol. I blacked them out about a week ago. :-)

Escobar: I got the fittings from Custom Corvette Accessories
http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Catch Can-dsc02368.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 06-14-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
OK, I've read this thing twice and must just be retarded b/c I can't figure this out. I bought everything and got ready to install it then read that for boosted app some people were hooking it to a vacuum. For clarification, me being boosted, how should I hook up the pass side one? Do I just block off the nipple to the plenum?

As for the driver side, if air is being sucked IN through there, why bother with a breather? Why not just leave it hooked to the intake? Please excuse my ignorance.
You can hook it up the same. The PCV valve is a one way valve and should prevent boost from pressurizing the crankcase. You do NOT want to block the PCV valve. You will get oil everywhere, especially with a built motor (back up into the cylinders then plenum and intake) and a turbo (blown seals, leading to oil in exhaust or into intake, IC, plenum, exhaust, everywhere!).
Old 06-14-2008, 06:05 PM
IslandZavage

I just followed and installed this homemade catch can and it works. I did some spirited driving and oil was pooled at the bottom of the catch can that surely would of made it to my plenum. Great thread / DIY.. I wish i did this mod a long time ago.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Hose from the PCV valve goes to the can. Can then goes to the intake, before the turbo. Block off the nipple on the plenum.

The PCV is a one way valve. However, it is possible to damage it under boost. Better safe than buying new PCV's every several thousand miles.

Last edited by i8acobra; 06-14-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Blwn_By_Twins

Where do you attach it on the intake? Did you have a tab welded on the pass intake?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Where do you attach it on the intake? Did you have a tab welded on the pass intake?

Drill a hole somewhere on the intake between the filter and the turbo. Tap it, then screw in a brass barb.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The JWT kit comes with an intake nipple. The problem with i8acobra's plumbing instruction is that the driver's side is usually plumbed to the intake AND there is no suction at all during idle (not much blowby either so maybe ok). I plumbed both the intake manifold and the intake stream to the output of the catch can (using a check valve at both orifices so air only enters the plenum and intake respectively). That way there is suction at idle and under boost. I left the driver's side open to air with a small breather filter with the hope that it would always be sucking air in (and blow by would not increase to the point it would release oil vapor to the engine bay).
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
ajcool2

I just did this on my maxima a few weeks ago. I had no idea Z's would need this until I saw this thread today.

Name:  DSC06688.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  279.4 KB
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
mowgli29

^^ hows that working out? your max catching as much oil as the Z guys?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
So has anyone put Kobalt or Black&Decker in their sig for their mods list?
you can call it the LCC (or Lowes Catch Can) or the HDCC (Home Depot Catch Can), depending on where you bought the parts

Originally Posted by Escobar
here is mine, has been done for a while but I snapped a few shots while cleaning my filter.

where did you get that bracket at? i've looked everywhere and no luck
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by Z04
you can call it the LCC (or Lowes Catch Can) or the HDCC (Home Depot Catch Can), depending on where you bought the parts

where did you get that bracket at? i've looked everywhere and no luck
looks fabricated,? looks nice, i think im going to have to build one in the shop
Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a question, somewhat related. On the driver side, there is a tube that goes into the intake and into the engine. Someone made a diy to make a breather filter for that side instead of putting a catch can there, and I can't find it for jack! I even posted in it but I can't find it when i search for my name. Anyone happen to have it by chance? I think you posted in it also gothchick, you were arguing with some guy about a/f ratios not being off being. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by mowgli29
^^ hows that working out? your max catching as much oil as the Z guys?
Yup it works just fine. When I first saw oil in my IM I thought my engine was done until I search around and found this.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by 3kgtslflip
I've got a question, somewhat related. On the driver side, there is a tube that goes into the intake and into the engine. Someone made a diy to make a breather filter for that side instead of putting a catch can there, and I can't find it for jack! I even posted in it but I can't find it when i search for my name. Anyone happen to have it by chance? I think you posted in it also gothchick, you were arguing with some guy about a/f ratios not being off being. Thanks!

way too simple. just take the hose off of the intake tube, and stick one of those small filters you find at autozone/pepboys/etc on there. then move back to the intake tube and use something to close off the spot where the tube use to be. then you are done.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The thing is, in the thread, the guy put in the part number for the amsoil filter to use. I know its a simple install, i'm just looking for that particular part, lol.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...I recently sold a 'O1 Maxima in order to get my "Z"; it had, approx., 72k on her, & I had never even heard about catch cans, until I joined "my350z.com". She never developed a miss or anything of the sort. What should I gather from this? She had a 3.OL engine, & gave me great service for about 5 yrs. Is it the 3.5L engine that suffers from the oil condensation thingy? Help, guys! I'm concerned about this issue. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
...I recently sold a 'O1 Maxima in order to get my "Z"; it had, approx., 72k on her, & I had never even heard about catch cans, until I joined "my350z.com". She never developed a miss or anything of the sort. What should I gather from this? She had a 3.OL engine, & gave me great service for about 5 yrs. Is it the 3.5L engine that suffers from the oil condensation thingy? Help, guys! I'm concerned about this issue. Thanks.
Yes its the 3.5 engines that suffer from the oil problem. The only reason I have one on my vq30de is because I did an intake manifold swap and after a few months I began to find oil in my IM. Most stock vq30's never had this problem though I think some the s/c vq30 guys did.

Quick Reply: Homemade Catch Can