Notices

DIY - CLUTCH INSTALL part II - JWT clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
resident25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is freakin awesome. I'm givin this to my mechanic since he's putting this in for me tomorrow. Thx for takin the time for this bro!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by resident25
This is freakin awesome. I'm givin this to my mechanic since he's putting this in for me tomorrow. Thx for takin the time for this bro!
thanks man.....

ya the next clutch install i do, i plan on having a spare person there just to take pics to make a monster diy..

its really not that hard, its just scare to most is all..

-J
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM
candyman7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if my clutch comes in this weekend ill be tackling this job wish me luck
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
zracing5469

my jwt clutch came in today. installing tomorrow night. Hopefully i will remember to take some pictures to help everyone out. Now all i have to figure out is what a clutch does
Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM
candyman7

Originally Posted by zracing5469
my jwt clutch came in today. installing tomorrow night. Hopefully i will remember to take some pictures to help everyone out. Now all i have to figure out is what a clutch does
n00b
Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Band-Aid

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask thus question. I bought a JWT clutch a while back and shortly thereafter I was offered a sweet deal on a Nismo clutch and flywheel combo, with free install! My question is will a JWT clutch mate up to th nismo flywheel? Thanx for any info.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM
marco_mendoza

Thanks to this thread and the original, I was able to change the clutch and flywheel myself using modest tools. About the only time I needed help was to remove the tranny and put it back in.

I ran into a couple of problems, such are rounding out some exhaust bolts (should've soaked them with some Pb penetrator overnight), even with the tool rental from AutoZone I couldn't remove the throwout bearing (I went to a machine shop and they did it for 5 bucks!)but the directions are spot on!

Don't forget to remove the slave cylinder instead of the master cylinder. (I know there was an edit, but not on the Word attachment that I downloaded)

Once again, thank you to both of you, and I have a great satisfying feeling that I changed this myself!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
snowboarder599

Originally Posted by marco_mendoza
Thanks to this thread and the original, I was able to change the clutch and flywheel myself using modest tools. About the only time I needed help was to remove the tranny and put it back in.

I ran into a couple of problems, such are rounding out some exhaust bolts (should've soaked them with some Pb penetrator overnight), even with the tool rental from AutoZone I couldn't remove the throwout bearing (I went to a machine shop and they did it for 5 bucks!)but the directions are spot on!

Don't forget to remove the slave cylinder instead of the master cylinder. (I know there was an edit, but not on the Word attachment that I downloaded)

Once again, thank you to both of you, and I have a great satisfying feeling that I changed this myself!
Thanks for the write up! I totally needed it!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 AM
djtodd

Default Torque for flywheel bolt

Just to clear up any confusion, the service manual calls for 88nm or 65ft-lb of torqe for the flywheel bolt.

As stated earlier, 93 may shear/strip them.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
zen350z

Flywheel bolts use the Blue Loctite, Look at the bolts when you pull them out, they have blue on them.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
louie12345

Thanks for the right up, installed my jwt clutch yesterday. It took me 6 hours from start to finish. This the first time that I change the clutch on a 350z. Did not remove the bracket as stated on 1A, I was able to get upper two bolts with no problem.

I suggest to remove the shifter, whatever pertaining to the interior of the car before you get your hands dirty. It was just a matter of romoving the bolt from the tranny (under the car)to release the shifter and push it up.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Neu Era

Great info!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
350zhr

how long would this take on a lift with a few mechanically inclined people working on it?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Armed Ferret

Originally Posted by 350zhr
how long would this take on a lift with a few mechanically inclined people working on it?
should only take 2, maybe 3 hours if you go slow.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 AM
350zhr

has anyone installed a spec twin disk? mine has two indicators on the flywheel, one says front and the other says rear, right above the holes. Im installing it tomorrow and dont want to put it in wrong.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:21 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

line it up with the dot that says REAR, ie, meaning rear wheel drive....

the front indicator is for maximas or some ish...

JWT clutches and many others also have two dots....in their supplied installation instructions it tells you to line up with "rear"

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-07-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:22 PM
350zhr

thanks for the fast response. spec didnt send much for instructions.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for this write up Jason.

Well I did mine this weekend but ran into a problem. I only changed out my clutch though.

The problem I am having is this. I put everything back together but now it won't engage. When the car is off it goes into every gear just fine but when I turn the car on it won't engage fully. At once it was engaging in 1st-3rd but not 4th-reverse. What could it be?
Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Robert58b

Going to do my son's this week-end. I also do not plan to do the flywheel if not needed. What was the problem you had with it not going into gear? Did you get is solved?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Thanks for this write up Jason.

Well I did mine this weekend but ran into a problem. I only changed out my clutch though.

The problem I am having is this. I put everything back together but now it won't engage. When the car is off it goes into every gear just fine but when I turn the car on it won't engage fully. At once it was engaging in 1st-3rd but not 4th-reverse. What could it be?
Thanks

what exactly was done? and were you there to see it happen?

1. did you change the through out bearing?
2. did you change the pivot ball? - if so, was it the right one? not the shorter one or longer one for specific year models???
Read here:
http://www.importpartspro.com/chclpiba20ni.html

2.5. - what year is your Z?

3. did you engage the metal retaining clip onto the pivit ball and through out bearing - do you hear any noise, rattling??

4. anything else pertinent??

Originally Posted by Robert58b
Going to do my son's this week-end. I also do not plan to do the flywheel if not needed. What was the problem you had with it not going into gear? Did you get is solved?

I have a feeling his is a fluke install?? if all is done right you will be fine.....

as for you doing the clutch with out doing the flywheel that is completely fine given:

1. you change it out BEFORE/QUICK enough that the car is still drivable.......if the car has been inch'ing along, and your "finally getting around" to changing the clutch, then the flywheel will be to far gone along with the clutch pressure plate..

2. you remove the clutch and inspect the flywheel.........if with your fingers you can feel waves and imperfections, its no good..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-20-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY - CLUTCH INSTALL part II - JWT clutch