Notices

Another Oil Catch Can DIY - Pix

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Oil Catch Can DIY - Pix

I recently removed the MREV2 and reinstalled my revup lower plenum. In the process, I discovered where all the oil that my engine 'misplaced' went to. It pooled into several areas on the lower plenum, and from there it apparently was drawn into the engine through the tiny orifices drilled into each runner. I read up on this a little bit and found that several high performance cars, including the S2000 and Corvette, suck a lot of oil through the PCV into the intake manifold at high RPMs. Consequently, there is a number of products specifically made for these cars, to catch the oil that comes out of the crankcase before it gets into the intake manifold.

I ordered a nice billet aluminum unit from Custom Corvette Accessories. There are good pics of the catch can and available accessories on the website. BTW, do NOT get the one for the C6, it uses a custom mounting bracket.

Here's what the 35th Anniversary revup looked like before I started.

P471

The installation is pretty much self explanatory, but I want to mention a couple of things that may make the job even easier. Although it took me over 4 hours, an hour of that was trying to find a place to mount it. Space under the hood comes at a premium. If it weren't for the close quarters, this would be a 20 minute task. Another hour was wasted looking for parts and tools that I dropped through the engine bay. The best place to put the catch can is on the passenger side, using the upper mounting screw for the power steering (PS) reservoir bracket.

The first thing to do is pull off the plastic engine cover so we can get to both ends of the PCV hose and the passenger side body-to-timing cover ground strap.

P472

Next, remove the single screw (P478) on the radiator overflow tank and pull it up and forward so you can get to the ground strap - you don’t need to disconnect the hose to the radiator. The ground strap is attached to the timing cover at two places with one bolt each (P472), and to the passenger side body, underneath the overflow tank, with two bolts through a single lug. The second lug on the timing cover is very hard to see, but you can follow the strap over from the other end, and it’s pretty easy to unbolt. Slide the two clamps off, and remove the PCV hose (P472) that connects the plenum to the PCV on the valve cover.

This is what the area looks like after it’s readied for the catch can.

P476

P478

Remove the top bolt (P478) off of the PS reservoir bracket and slide the rubber grommet off. Slice the grommet in half (but not the metal insert). Insert the original bolt through the metal grommet insert, the first half of the rubber grommet, the catch can bracket, the PS tank bracket, and the second half of the rubber grommet - just 'snug up' the bolt for now. Mount the hose fittings on the catch can using teflon tape - see pic P480 for proper orientation.
You will need to unscrew the bottom of the can in order to slide it into the bracket from the top, then reinstall the bottom. There is an English size allen screw through the back of the bracket to secure the can in place. Finally, tighten the top screw of the PS bracket to the passenger side strut tower.

Measure and cut the length of hose you need, and connect the top can fitting to the PCV. The braided hose looks great, but it is also a royal PITA to work with. I would stick with the standard 3/8" fuel service rubber hose and SS hose clamps instead.

Now we’re almost done, and it looks like this:

P480

P481

Measure and cut hose for the lower can fitting and connect it to the nipple on the front of the lower plenum. Reinstall the ground strap, and route it in front of the catch can (P487), and then across toward the timing cover. Bend the larger lug at the timing cover as necessary, to make the connection easier. Slide the radiator overflow tank into its bracket and secure. If everything is oriented as shown in the pics, no part of the catch can should be touching the strut tower or the PS suction hose.

P482

P483

P487

After driving about 400 miles, which included a lot of 6000+ RPM shifts, I opened the drain valve and some oil trickled out. I unscrewed the bottom of the can and found the inside coated with a light film of oil around the drain valve. It WORKS!

This is an inexpensive, simple mod, and it will keep the intake manifold, combustion chamber, and exhaust piping clean. Especially useful for those of us lucky enough to own a revup with the 'hide the oil' feature. I am very pleased with it. Good luck!

Last edited by undrgnd; 02-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 AM
ofl0926

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of catch can did you use
Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 AM
sloppymax

Originally Posted by ofl0926
what kind of catch can did you use
the one that is linked in the second paragraph.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up with pics to boot!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice. This should be in the DIY section.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

damnnn that looks good and clean install. best ive seen for DYI catch can. Nicee!. I might try this. Thnx for pix!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
gothchick

Very nice write up. Here's a diagram of the internals for that style of catch can.
Attached Thumbnails Another Oil Catch Can DIY - Pix-rev_c_section_publish-1-.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 01-30-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's another type of one from Lingenfelter. It even has a drain at the bottom that you could somehow plumb back into the oil pan for passive drainback!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
undrgnd

Thanks guys, it was enjoyable to do something that actually gave immediate gratification, something I can't say for most of the 'performance' mods I've done.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

thanks for the contribution. i was having a hard time trying to find a mounting spot for my cusco...i may just have to switch!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM
meaj82

Wow! good job. Did you use the c5 or c6 version or does it not matter.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by meaj82
Wow! good job. Did you use the c5 or c6 version or does it not matter.
I ordered the one for the C5. The only difference is the bracket, which is pre-bent for the C6. Order the C5 and you can always bend the bracket (in a vise) if you need to.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 PM
BabyZiLLa

Looks nice. What was the reason for removing the MREV2?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
undrgnd

Long story > short: Wanted to restore the OEM power and driving characteristics to the classic 35th Anniv.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Long story > short: Wanted to restore the OEM power and driving characteristics to the classic 35th Anniv.
Ohh ok. Im putting mine in soon. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of problems or anything.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 AM
undrgnd

Nope, no problems at all. I just like the linear power progression of the revup motor better. I will be selling the MREV2, APS plenum and strut bar here shortly, in case someone is interested.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 AM
MUZZY

I like it! its simple and clean
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Nope, no problems at all. I just like the linear power progression of the revup motor better. I will be selling the MREV2, APS plenum and strut bar here shortly, in case someone is interested.
Well i already bought but. But seen as how its been in customs for the past month and there telling me i need to wait another 2 months beefore they consider it lost. I just may pick up yours.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

finally bit the bullet and made the purchase for a blue one (w/included accessories, not that shiny stuff ). it's a great lookin' kit that is actually pretty functional.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
slick_9191

I was considering putting my old catch can from my old tuner into the Z. After looking at the Vette can and others, I never noticed the way the internals worked... making me wonder if all catch cans are designed that way, soi can keep mine or if I need to just buy a new one. I went with an inexpensive can since they are simple designs (at least thought they were) and I thought all they do is let regular air pass-through while catching oil. The whole 'condensing fumes' junk is new to me.

Quick Reply: Another Oil Catch Can DIY - Pix