Notices

DIY Replacing your belts. Very Easy

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromesilverz
So...when did you guys change your belts...what mileage?

Any signs to look for to know when to change them.
If you see cracks, they need to be replaced..
Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Valles8

awesome write up. helped alot thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Steve_03

Worked like a charm...very easy!

Has anybody used the gatorback belts from autozone? How do you tell if they need replaced? I imagine it would be tough to see cracks in them.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
dchi_t

question about the adjust bolt. since its a bolt that your turn to adjust the tension, couldnt one just use like "white out" or something on the threads to mark the original location of the bolt and return it to "approximately" the same location when retensioning the belts?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
El Guy

I did this this past weekend, Very easy took 30 minutes. Felt good doing it my self. I have a questions 3 days later my belts made a noise at start up just for a minute, Should i just tighter or looser?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_03
Worked like a charm...very easy!

Has anybody used the gatorback belts from autozone? How do you tell if they need replaced? I imagine it would be tough to see cracks in them.
Have you tried looking at your belts? It's not hard to see cracks, when they're there. You can definitely see wear on them, so when you see signs of cracking, you should probably replace the belt.

Originally Posted by dchi_t
question about the adjust bolt. since its a bolt that your turn to adjust the tension, couldnt one just use like "white out" or something on the threads to mark the original location of the bolt and return it to "approximately" the same location when retensioning the belts?
You can, in theory. However, in real life applications, things aren't always mathematical. The belts aren't always the same exact length, nor do they provide the same amount of tension. It's best to follow the guidelines for optimum results.

Originally Posted by El Guy
I did this this past weekend, Very easy took 30 minutes. Felt good doing it my self. I have a questions 3 days later my belts made a noise at start up just for a minute, Should i just tighter or looser?
You should tighten it a tad bit and slightly more for good measure.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
El Guy

had to tighten, Worked like a charm, Thanks 3hree5iveOero
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 AM
airsoftluver

so after changing the Oil,filter and spark plugs i preceded to move on to the belts. problem now is that i kinda rounded off the bolt that holds the tensioner in place(not the one that brings it up and down the one that locks it place).

What should i do? should i try to take it out with vice grips then get a replacement bolt?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
dchi_t

i almost did the exact thing this passed weekend. i hope the dealer sells a replacement bolt for that and not require to buy the entire tensioner assembly =/ i think the bolt is made out of brass thats why it was so easy to round.

if the bolt is complete rounded and a socket no longer holds on, yes use a vice grip and buy a replacement bolt.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Brrcats

Goodness, just did this this past week. Took me a while because instead of going to the dealer to get replacement belts (dealer is farther than I wanted to drive), I went to autozone and got the goodyear gatorback belts. The belts were fine, but the problem is that they dont have the correct sizes in the computer for the Z, so after I get them and try to install them they are way too big, so even after bringing in the old belts it still took another trip to get the correct size.

biggest hassle ever.

the actual replacing the belts was super easy though. hardest part was removing the plastic undertray, so to take advantage of the opportunity I changed the oil/filter and cleaning my air filter while I was down there
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
SlipZ

i will be doing this project in two weeks..
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
burnt.z33

Originally Posted by airsoftluver
so after changing the Oil,filter and spark plugs i preceded to move on to the belts. problem now is that i kinda rounded off the bolt that holds the tensioner in place(not the one that brings it up and down the one that locks it place).

What should i do? should i try to take it out with vice grips then get a replacement bolt?
it does happen maybe 5 out of 10 350z i see but just use vice grips and the dealer should have replacement bolt in stock.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 AM
BallZdeepNYC

i will be doing this soon. i just wish there was an easier way to make sure belts were perfectly tightened but i will attempt it next weekend or the weekend after
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
nassin_z053

very nice ... will def. look into this
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 AM
10 TIL 4

Has anyone completed this on an HR motor? I noticed a strange sound from under the hood over the weekend and noticed the belt(s) was frayed. After calling my local Nissan Parts Dept, they said the HR only has one belt and they had it in stock so I'm swinging by at lunch to pick one up. Then hopefully knocking it out when I get home this evening.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
chromesilverz

A handheld fish scale and ruler might work if you have one laying around for the tension/deflection.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
drewk

I got some DAYCO belts... are they any good?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
chromesilverz

Which hoses did you replace? You have the part numbers? Is there a DIY?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Part numbers for the belts from NiSSan:

11920-AG900 Belt Compressor list price $18.82
11720-4P102 Belt Fan & Alternator list price $21.86

I purposely overtightened the belts knowing they would stretch just a wee bit as the Z runs.

I did my hoses at the same time, when you have the undercover off you have plenty of access, my original antifreeze was 3.5 years old when replaced

Old 04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
chromesilverz

Originally Posted by drewk
I got some DAYCO belts... are they any good?
Might as well get Nissan belts because they are so cheap anyways.

I got mine from Worldpartsexpress.com. One was $13.87 and the other was $15.47. They have flat rate shipping of $7.50 plus $2 handling so I went ahead and got some other parts.

Did mine today with the oil change. A piece of cake. I had more trouble getting the oil filter off...lol. Used the old thumb-o-meter. Tested the belts before hand and tried to get it a little tighter for good measure...lol. My car is 7 years old. Both belts were cracked pretty good and the smaller of the two belts looked like it was about to break.

To the one that said something about marking the adjuster bolt...doesn't look like it's possible because the visible parts (from underneath) of the bolt does not move.

Might want to add that the adjuster bolts are 12mm. The alternator adjuster bolt was hard to get to and the socket didn't sit in there very well because of the angle so I used a 12mm wrench so I didn't strip it like some here said might happen.

Thanks for the DIY. Awesome.

Last edited by chromesilverz; 04-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:08 PM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

just did my belts...it was nothing...SUPER easy to be exact..from a scale of 1-10...this was a 3.. awesome write up..

Quick Reply: DIY Replacing your belts. Very Easy