Notices

Changing your Transmission and Rear Diff fluid the easy way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
SilverTrack03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing your Transmission and Rear Diff fluid the easy way!

Changing your Transmission and Rear Diff fluid the easy way!

I Just got done changing my transmission and rear diff fluid, and followed the instructions in the other thread in here. They are great however the suction gun SUCKS to use, it takes forever is messy and overall just a pain. After getting too or three pumps out of the way I started to think of other ways to fill this fluid for the transmission. Now On my Talon AWD, we used a long tube connected to a funnel to fill the trans from the top. So I started to look at that and what do I see, but I direct route from the trans fill hole to the engine bay. So I got up and grabbed my trusty fill from my talon, and snaked it through and it worked great.

Tools you will need:

10mm allen socket
Fluid of your choice I used Redline, MTL, MT-90 and a gear oil with lsd additives from them.
Drain pan
3-4ft of 7/16 hose longer is better always cut down to what you need
A sharpie Cap
Funnel that fits into the 7/16 hose
Few zip ties

Here is the tool I made. You push the funnel in one end. Take your sharpie cap and cut open the close end, being careful not to crack it. Push the smaller end of the sharpie cap into the end of the hose; this creates a perfect fit for the trans fill hole and the rear end fill hole.

Here is the opening you will snake this through to fill the transmission

Here is how it will look once you have the funnel in place with the tube on it

Here is from the bottom looking up with tube running down

And have someone fill from the top, you can do it yourself but I found it easier just in case the tube slips out of the trans or starts to leak a bit which it will slightly but not a lot at all just a few drips. Fill to the level in the car manual just over 3quarts if I remember right. But when full fluid will leak out of the fill hole when you pull out the fill tube, let some drain out and then put back in your fill plug.

Now for the rear end, this one looks like there is no way to fill this using your long tube you made. And I agree I thought I was going to have to use the damn suction gun. But there is a way. The drain tube is on the passenger side of the car and is almost a straight shot to the wheel with nothing in its way. You will run the tube through the spokes of your wheel above the rotor, through the spring to the fill hole. Making sure there is a constant downward slop to the rear diff. Its not a huge slope but there is one, make sure there are no dips or anything and you are set to start filling. Takes just under 2 quarts, I fill both quarts and let the excess drain out.

Here are the pictures so you get the idea. I used zip ties to hold my funnel in place so I didn’t spill anything by mistake. Again you will get a few drops leak out during filling but not a lot. But when you remove the tube there will be lots of fluid draining out if you fill all 2 quarts so have a pan ready.

This is the funnel through the wheel

Under the car looking up, see the tube ran through the spring to keep up straight and sloping down.

Hope you get the idea, it will fit and make a slight downward flow to the diff, The fluid will drain a little slow because of this slight downward grade, but it does work and works well.

And there you have it, easy as cake to change the fluid this way, so much better that the dumb *** suction pump gun bull crap.

Again dont get this dumb thing.

Last edited by SilverTrack03; 03-23-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Rowlett

Sweet, I'll be using your way for the tranny..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
SoldzMyZ

hmmm why didnt i think of that? I had a transfer pump method (one they use to siphone fuel from the gas tank is used, and its much better than the grease gun method. Otherwise, I'll try this route next time.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
MikeW

Thanks for sharing- great method!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno I bought this and its pretty simple. One end goes in your fluid, the other in the tranny/diff...pump away...

Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
SilverTrack03

Yea the pump gun like you posted would be easy. I didnt see one so i got the suction gun and it sucked so i made this and its easy and fast. So im sharing
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM
RandomHer0

Yeah I agree, the gun sucks, good job.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks, Im about to do this fluid change, this is gonna help.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 AM
roygrady

Thanks, I'll save this info for when I need to do a change (not too far away)
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
driver350

Sweet, I have some extra beer funnels lying around.... I'll have to mod them first
Old 05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
I dunno I bought this and its pretty simple. One end goes in your fluid, the other in the tranny/diff...pump away...

Where did you get this pump? I didnt find anything like that in any Autozone/O'reilly.. I really need to change my fluid myself and save $$

Especially since I have to change Carbonetic fluid every 3k miles..

I may try to make the same thing the OP did....

Last edited by Jay'Z; 05-25-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Driver06

Originally Posted by RandomHer0

Nothern tools has them
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Sleepy79

Amsoil sells a pump that works with their bottles. Looks like a pump from a liquid soap dispenser and comes with the clear vinyl tubing.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
rockinbboy

How do you guys prevent overfilling? Unless you guys fill exactly X quarts for the diff/trans
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the diy
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
06Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
How do you guys prevent overfilling? Unless you guys fill exactly X quarts for the diff/trans
Once you reach full capacity, the excess will begin to run out of the fill hole. It's pretty much impossible to overfill. I always try to get a little too much in, then let the excess drain off. Once the draining stops I put the plug back in.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by 06Enthusiast
Once you reach full capacity, the excess will begin to run out of the fill hole. It's pretty much impossible to overfill. I always try to get a little too much in, then let the excess drain off. Once the draining stops I put the plug back in.
Well, I can somewhat understand that if you opened the fill hole, the excess will drain out but that sounds like a mess.

In the examples above with the funnel - rubber tube, lets say someone starts filling it up, then you know you went too much once the fuild comes up to the funnel as it backs-up. Until then, you don't know if you overfilled. That is really where my question pertains.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to have a drain pan underneath. So it doesn't matter how much you put in because the excess will come out. You know ahead of time, roughly how much you need to add for a complete fill.

I have the red pump pictured above and it sucks as well. Sometimes it will just stop and you have to play with the hoses, check for leaks, etc while oil goes everywhere. Yuck.

I'm trying this way next time too. D@mn carbonetic diff forces me to change fluid every 3k (they actually recommend every 1800 miles!).
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Eddie K.

Thanks for the info I just bought my oil for this and I was thinking about buying that pump. I will try this way it looks simple. I love this fourm,
it will answer your questions.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
SilverTrack03

I got a PM about the size of the sharpie needed so i thought i would metion it. Its just your normal size sharpie cap. And as for how it fits int he trans/diff it fits snug, not really tight and not really loose, perfect for holding the line inplace and allowing the fluid to pass through into the trans/diff.

Quick Reply: Changing your Transmission and Rear Diff fluid the easy way!