Notices

DIY - Urethane Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be worthwhile to put some dyna mat or thinish rubber between the gearbox support and the body. The sound may travel through the bolts but not the frame reducing the amount of nvh
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure, never tried it

I have a small piece of dynamat that was cut arount the shifter itself, in a rectangle pattern
Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Any updates of producing more?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely no
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
skidz88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I installed the Momentum Performance solid trans mount just now and I'm not sure if I like it.

The inside of my car feels and sounds like I'm sitting on a big block V8 with open headers, everything vibrates! Is this normal?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 AM
MR RIZK

the harder the mount the more nvh will be transmitted. Comparing with Z1 75A there was a huge change between oem however the mount was very postive for shifts
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
jes1888

is this worth for a "near stock" car?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just installed my Torque Solutions tranny mount and wow.. Right when you turn the car on you can hear and feel the difference.. I love all the sounds my Z makes now and this just adds to it. The play in the shifter is pretty much gone.
Also another note to add.. I have the Ichiba Y-Pipe and I did not have to remove it in order to get the cross member out.. Install took 30 mins..

Everyone loves pictures..

Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 AM
ShineMaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skidz88
So I installed the Momentum Performance solid trans mount just now and I'm not sure if I like it.

The inside of my car feels and sounds like I'm sitting on a big block V8 with open headers, everything vibrates! Is this normal?
Most aftermarket Transmission Mounts are polyurethane mounts which are much more solid than the OEM flabby rubber mounts, but are still not 100% solid. The Momentum Mount that you installed is 100% solid metal... and because of that it basically makes the transmission one with the chassis and you will get much more noise and vibration with yours than with a polyurenthane mount...

Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM
goracerx

Besides the brand name, what are the differences? Has anyone driven with more than one brand or stiffness rating?
  1. Torque Solution -75A durometer
  2. Avid Racing - ___?
  3. Z1 Motorsports - 60, 75, 90 ?

OK, so someone mentioned they wish they had used 60 instead of 75. Is there anyone that actually used the 60? If so, did you wish you went stiffer? Would stiffer be better for a Roadster?

Last edited by goracerx; 05-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
jjaujou

FWIW, I've been looking for a couple of days now and can't find any 60's on the market. Z1 Motorsports sells a 90a, Z1 Performance (srsly guys, names) sells a 75a, and the rest I've seen sell Avid's 75a.

It's a bummer, I really wanted a 60a.

Last edited by jjaujou; 11-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM
iseemax101

I read this thread about the 60a mounts you were making/selling some time ago. I currently have the transmission out for new act clutch and act fly so this would be a good time. Can I get pricing shipped to 93550 please?

interested in the transmission mount as well as pricing on other motor mounts you may carry, I think I have a bad one in the engine bay somewhere.

Thank you!
Tanya

PS
your PM inbox if maxed out
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM
KIYOSHI Z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Kwame and I had some time today to do some more stuff to my Z. Even though it's getting colder, I still like doing little stuff to the car here and there. Today we got a chance to install and test a new urethane transmission mount.

I did a how-to write up on our blog, but figured I'd post it here too:

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...mount-350zg35/

It was straight forward, and can easily be done at home for all you DIY'ers

To start off, use the factory recommended jack points front and rear

With the car up in the air, your first thing is to remove the factory transmission cross member. This is a black steel beam that runs the width of the transmission (sorry the below is so small, and I forgot to snap a pic of it when it was out of the car, but you really can't miss it!)

To loosen the crossmember from the chassis, there are 4 x 14mm bolts. You'll now see the transmission mount, attached to the underside of the transmission, like here:

Next, you will remove the long gold bolt/spacer from the stock transmount, which runs through the crossmember. To gain better access to the bolt, we found it easiest to remove the Y pipe, as it makes things. Since mine has been in there for a few years and I had noticed a bit of an exhaust leak recently, I took this opportunity to replace all the Y pipe gaskets and kill 2 birds with one stone. Take a jack, or jackstand, and place it under the transmission to keep it from sagging. It is still attached to the engine at the bellhousing, as well as the driveshaft, but you don't want any accidents! Finally, remove the 2 x 14mm bolts and the transmissiom mount comes off the transmission. Fitting the new mount is just a direct reversal of the above process and goes right in. Here is a pic of the new mount installed, before the crossmember goes back in:

Next, reinstall the crossmember, using the jack to still support the transmission. Once the crossmember has been torqued to spec, you can remove the jack from the transmission case.

That's all there is to it!

So what does it feel like – HOLY **** stiff! The car immediately has a much deeper tone inside the cabin just by virtue of the fact that the new mount has much less slop in it, and has a full radius bushing (if you look in the picture showing the comparison with the stock mount, you can see daylight with the stock mount!). This disconnect keeps things quiet and Camry like, but also gives the car a much vaguer feeling compared to the new mount. It was so much different sounding I thought my Y pipe was still disconnected! The shifter has a much more positive feel to it, which is very noticeable especially at higher rpm shifts. Engaging first and running through the gears from a dead stop, you immediately notice that the car has a much more direct overall feel. If you are in a higher rpm and just crusing (for example 2nd, entering a turn) the slight rocking back and forth that the car used to have is completely gone. I’ll drive the car through the weekend provided the weather is nice and post any noticeable changes.

We've toyed around with maybe doing a urethane motor mount set as well, but are still up in the air. The stock mounts are quite rigid already. However, we still may do it if demand is there, as it would be a nice alternative for those who don't want to run a full solid motor mount set.

Any questions, let me know
Can I install one of these transmission mounts whiles having stock engine mount?
Will it not cause damage in some way?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:47 AM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KIYOSHI Z
Can I install one of these transmission mounts whiles having stock engine mount?
Will it not cause damage in some way?
It shouldn't, it looks like Z1 Performance installed without upgrading the motor mounts. I have Z1 Motorsports' urethane motor mounts, and plan on swapping my stock transmission mount for their urethane mount soon.