Notices

5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Coz35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm bidding on a 05 g35 6mt part car this week. Question is, when I do this swap I believe I'll have all the parts I could need but will the revup 6mt Ecu work with my non revup engine that's in my 05 5at g? will the Ecu be expecting the rev up engine or does it know to self adjust? Ideally I'd like to use as much of the 6mt as possible to make it as seamless a swap as possible but I just don't want to deal with the oil consumption issues I hear plague the rev up
Old 05-15-2016, 01:12 PM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coz35
Hi guys, I'm bidding on a 05 g35 6mt part car this week. Question is, when I do this swap I believe I'll have all the parts I could need but will the revup 6mt Ecu work with my non revup engine that's in my 05 5at g? will the Ecu be expecting the rev up engine or does it know to self adjust? Ideally I'd like to use as much of the 6mt as possible to make it as seamless a swap as possible but I just don't want to deal with the oil consumption issues I hear plague the rev up
You must use the non rev up ecu with the non rev up unless you tune the rev up ecu. You've got NATS and everything to worry about so just use the ecu that's in your car now with the non rev up. That being said, I swapped everything from a donor 05 6MT (engine, trans, harness, etc) to an 05 (using the AT ecu) and it works fine. The only issues are that cruise control doesn't work (the set light just flashes, and no one has been able to shed any light on whether it is because of the check engine light due to the TCM missing or something else so I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't want to waste money tuning the light off with Osiris and the cruise still not work) and the reverse lights do not work (again, using the 6MT harness; all was plug and play).

Regards,

Ross
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Coz35

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
You must use the non rev up ecu with the non rev up unless you tune the rev up ecu. You've got NATS and everything to worry about so just use the ecu that's in your car now with the non rev up. That being said, I swapped everything from a donor 05 6MT (engine, trans, harness, etc) to an 05 (using the AT ecu) and it works fine. The only issues are that cruise control doesn't work (the set light just flashes, and no one has been able to shed any light on whether it is because of the check engine light due to the TCM missing or something else so I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't want to waste money tuning the light off with Osiris and the cruise still not work) and the reverse lights do not work (again, using the 6MT harness; all was plug and play).

Regards,

Ross
Thanks for your reply Ross. Did you also swap the guages as well or are you using the 5at ones?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:18 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by Coz35
Thanks for your reply Ross. Did you also swap the guages as well or are you using the 5at ones?
I'm using the 5AT cluster on this one.

Regards,

Ross
Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008

Regards,

Ross

I haven't trans swapped a Z before but I have driveline swapped a few Nissans and a few other cars.

To go from AT to MT... You will need to use a M/T ECU, harness, trans obviously, possibly drill the trans tunnel depending on car and swap configuration. Some AT gauges can be used but If you leave the wiring in the Park light will always be on and I just hated seeing A/T gear sets on my cars when it wsnt needed. Looks sloppy IMO. But if possible I'd recommend using a MT cluster if you have it. But if its not possible for a cluster it CAN be worked around its just a massive head ache.

As for the HR, if your actually doing this. Just drop in the HR and go with it. If it does blow big deal your already swapping and will have a spare. 2 not all HR's are bad. And 3 if your already ready to do all this, swaping the DE back in if you don't like it will be a cake walk after.. And you wont have to worry about flashing or the extra steps making the HR ECU and harness work with a DE... Because trust me you will have enough on your plate with this.

Most engine swaps depending on how late you want to stay up and hands you have. Takes approx a month if not more of constant weekly work. If you have car savvy friends and all stay up till 2 am sometimes you can get it done in a week or weekend of non stop gridning. Hardly ever did that happen tho.

GL hope you get it!

Last edited by CK_32; 05-19-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by CK_32
I haven't trans swapped a Z before but I have driveline swapped a few Nissans and a few other cars.

To go from AT to MT... You will need to use a M/T ECU, harness, trans obviously, possibly drill the trans tunnel depending on car and swap configuration. Some AT gauges can be used but If you leave the wiring in the Park light will always be on and I just hated seeing A/T gear sets on my cars when it wsnt needed. Looks sloppy IMO. But if possible I'd recommend using a MT cluster if you have it. But if its not possible for a cluster it CAN be worked around its just a massive head ache.

As for the HR, if your actually doing this. Just drop in the HR and go with it. If it does blow big deal your already swapping and will have a spare. 2 not all HR's are bad. And 3 if your already ready to do all this, swaping the DE back in if you don't like it will be a cake walk after.. And you wont have to worry about flashing or the extra steps making the HR ECU and harness work with a DE... Because trust me you will have enough on your plate with this.

Most engine swaps depending on how late you want to stay up and hands you have. Takes approx a month if not more of constant weekly work. If you have car savvy friends and all stay up till 2 am sometimes you can get it done in a week or weekend of non stop gridning. Hardly ever did that happen tho.

GL hope you get it!
I believe you replied to the wrong post. Besides, he wasn't talking about an HR, he was asking about rev-up and non rev-up DE. To add information about the A/T cluster, the gear indicator is blank when there is no TCM, so the A/T vs M/T cluster isn't a big difference. A/T cluster just doesn't have the mostly worthless shift light. Now the rev-up vs non rev-up clusters will of course show different redlines, but once again doesn't matter as far as functionality is concerned.

I just wish someone could confirm that removing the A/T ecu U1000 trouble code would allow cruise control to be operational. Does anyone have a swapped A/T to M/T with the U1000 code on with working cruise?

Regards,

Ross
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 AM
CK_32

Yea sorry I just meant to reply. Not sure why it quoted you.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

if you hook up the neutral position switch the u1000 code stays off. and makes cruise control work. also unless you swap out the whole harness, ecm and bcm the 6mt cluster will not work as the CAN signals are different, causing other weird problems to happen.. Though the cluster itself will work fine.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (12-27-2017)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM
conlog

Im seriously considering getting a Z but i feel like there are so many more convertables out there than hardtops, I really want a hardtop and i know its worth waiting for if I want it, but is it bad to get a convertable? it would be fun and all... opinions?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 AM
jdm-v35

wrong forum area to post that. you wont get many replies to that here....
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
CK_32

Originally Posted by conlog
Im seriously considering getting a Z but i feel like there are so many more convertables out there than hardtops, I really want a hardtop and i know its worth waiting for if I want it, but is it bad to get a convertable? it would be fun and all... opinions?

Have about 30 total miles in my Z roadster. No complains so far
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 AM
Edd132

Default ECU

if i replace the ecu will i need to reprogram the keys ?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Boria

I have a auto 2006 350z, the parts you listed is what I need to swap for a 6spd right? Im not exactly sure
Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
if you hook up the neutral position switch the u1000 code stays off. and makes cruise control work. also unless you swap out the whole harness, ecm and bcm the 6mt cluster will not work as the CAN signals are different, causing other weird problems to happen.. Though the cluster itself will work fine.
Are you sure? The transmission and engine harness are from a 6MT car, and everything worked properly right away (besides the reverse lights). The NPS is connected and working fine, verified by consult and the fact that shifting the transmission into gear causes the AT ECU to raise the idle. However, the U1000 code still exists and cruise does not work. Could it be that the car you experienced this with did not have the TCM that is part of the transmission so the TCM is still connected?

Regards,

Ross
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 AM
jdm-v35

No, my car had the internal(inside trans) TCM. To get everything to seamlessly work without any rewiring you will need to change the Main engine and interior harness, ECU, and BCM as 6mt and 5at BCM's are different and have different relays etc. its a BIG difference. Thats why your reverse lights dont work. Because those are controlled by BCM relays. I also ripped out the relay box for the auto trans in the passenger footwell area.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 07-24-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 AM
ashtrojan2008

No, my car had the internal(inside trans) TCM. To get everything to seamlessly work without any rewiring you will need to change the Main engine and interior harness, ECU, and BCM as 6mt and 5at BCM's are different and have different relays etc. its a BIG difference. Thats why your reverse lights dont work. Because those are controlled by BCM relays. I also ripped out the relay box for the auto trans in the passenger footwell area.
Well sure everything would have to be replaced together for everything to work seamlessly right away--but the simple question was verification that reflashing the auto ecu would allow cruise to work. There is no way to get rid of the u1000/u1001 codes without a reflash. The question was is it the code itself preventing cruise, I.e. Does the code just need to be turned off or does it need a 6mt rom. I am going to burn a license on this vehicle and
it should work fine; I was just looking to see if anyone had any first hand experience reflashing an auto ecu to get cruise back.

The auto bcm isn't missing any relays, it trips an additional relay for the reverse lights. The wiring required is extremely simple. My reverse lights do work-- all that's needed is a jumper in place of the reverse light relay on the auto body harness. I have attached a photo in case anyone still doesn't have reverse lights. There are two different pins you can jump to, and also can just solder them below the connector of course. If anyone wants the wiring diagram I'll find it and post it as well.

Regards,

Ross
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-08-2018)
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
jdm-v35

I have mine reflashed to 6mt but even without a reflash cruise worked and I didn't get the code. I wired in the NPS during the swap. I also wired everything up myself so there is nothing that doesn't work how it should.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 AM
ashtrojan2008

I have mine reflashed to 6mt but even without a reflash cruise worked and I didn't get the code. I wired in the NPS during the swap. I also wired everything up myself so there is nothing that doesn't work how it should.
Hmm that's interesting that there was no code and the cruise worked. My NPS worked fine by default using the 6MT engine/trans harness- I see it activate and deactivate using NDSII and Cipher. I wonder if it has something to do with using the auto harness... I suppose I'll trace the diagrams some more. Another special circumstance it could be for this car--the ecu was reflashed by turbinetocs for their single kit that the car had before the current owner. Not sure if maybe the cruise wasn't working before the swap (I purchased the car as a roller and immediately swapped in the vq/6mt). Could be the turbinetics tune all along.

Regards,

Ross
Old 08-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Nabice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to bump an old thread. But when it comes to removing the automatic pilot bushing did a regular slide hammer and pilot bushing tool work or no? I've removed the mt ones before Just not the at. It seems like a different animal.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:22 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi guys, quick ECU related question that I'm sure someone here will know.

I crashed my 2005 G35 sedan which was 6 speed swapped and retained the DE engine. I am planning to buy a 350Z then swap my engine and tranny over to it, but I do not know which model to buy. I just need a guaranteed crank when I turn the key, I don't mind performing the swap again (although if I could buy a 6MT Z it would be much cleaner in the end, is this possible?)

What is my best bet for transferring my tune over?

should I try to put the G35 5AT ECU in the 350z? (should I buy an auto (03-06) or manual (03-04) Z?)
Or should I contact uprev/my tuner to have the tune transferred over? Is this possible going from a 5AT ECU to a 6MT ECU?

Thanks!

Last edited by yosip1115; 09-21-2016 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!