Notices

DIY: Zspeed Wilwood Clutch Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine works great and has been good for a long time.

I only have to find a solution to the pin on the clutch pedal squeaking, i've taken it out and polished/greased it and it goes away but after a while the increased pressure makes it gall up a little and it feels "sticky" a bit. Not sure if it's from the stiffer clutch or the different clevis but it's a very simple issue and i'm sure there's a way to fix it permanently that I haven't looked for yet.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
I actually had the super-black fluid on my first wilwood, I sent it back to Joe@Zspeed after getting another one from him (also changed sizes to help pedal action with my twin-disc) and the fluid is still clear a year later now. There are some of them that I believe don't seal properly or have bad/weak seals that degrade.

The squeaking I got badly the first time, took the pedal pin out and scuffed/polished it and added grease, has been much better.

Also, my memory sucks but I believe I originally had a built-in resevior one, so it couldn't have been the old remote filler line causing the fluid to darken. The entire system was brand new, the Zspeed heavy slave, all stainless line, and new master. Fluid looked like death after a month or two.
As luck may have it I was auto Xing a month ago and after a few back to back runs hs a spongy clutch pedal and we disengaging completely (no issues after 10 mins cool down) . Motul fluid was a 18months old but taking the cap off showed black slug build up on the underside of the cap and walls of the reservoir. A good reservoir cleaning and flush, so far still have clean fluid .

I planned to do a brake and clutch fluids change every six months but completely slacked off .
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 AM
FastGreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After few months, my Motul RBF 600 was also closed to black color, don't know where it come from... Maybe the clutch liquid should be flush every six months with this set-up ?

Does it means that the components overheat ? Specificly the Heavy Duty ZSpeed CSC ?

Last edited by FastGreg; 02-17-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 AM
ian99rt

Originally Posted by FastGreg
After few months, my Motul RBF 600 was also closed to black color, don't know where it come from... Maybe the clutch liquid should be flush every six months with this set-up ?

Does it means that the components overheat ? Specificly the Heavy Duty ZSpeed CSC ?
Any of the super high dry boiling point DOT4 brake fluids (AKA Motul, ATE superblue, etc...) should be changed every 6 months due to their increased moisture absorption rate.

I've been lazy and really need to flush my brake fluid as well, so we'll see how the Motul held up there.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the set-up on my DE for about a year and have never had any noise. The install was easy and so simple/fast to bleed out. I'm using the Motul 5.1 fluid.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
zimjig

Did you have to BENCH BLEED the master cylinder before you mounted it to the firewall and hooked it back up with the slave cylinder?

-Zach
Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
ian99rt

Originally Posted by zimjig
Did you have to BENCH BLEED the master cylinder before you mounted it to the firewall and hooked it back up with the slave cylinder?

-Zach
Filling the reservoir and cracking the banjo bolt loose until it weeped was all it took to get the bleeding started.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM
zimjig

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Filling the reservoir and cracking the banjo bolt loose until it weeped was all it took to get the bleeding started.
Great, once it's weeping you just closed the banjo bolt to start the bleeding process?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
ian99rt

Originally Posted by zimjig
Great, once it's weeping you just closed the banjo bolt to start the bleeding process?
Yep
Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Normally you can just fill the reservoir, Crack bleeder open, fill with fluid and walk away for a few, Once fluid starts to come out of the bleeder proceed with bleeding. If fluid doesn't run by itself pump pedal a few times with bleeder open and it will start to bleed.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM
FastGreg

I actually had the super-black fluid on my first wilwood, I sent it back to Joe@Zspeed after getting another one from him (also changed sizes to help pedal action with my twin-disc) and the fluid is still clear a year later now. There are some of them that I believe don't seal properly or have bad/weak seals that degrade.

The squeaking I got badly the first time, took the pedal pin out and scuffed/polished it and added grease, has been much better.

Also, my memory sucks but I believe I originally had a built-in resevior one, so it couldn't have been the old remote filler line causing the fluid to darken. The entire system was brand new, the Zspeed heavy slave, all stainless line, and new master. Fluid looked like death after a month or two.
I still have this issue with my cluch fluid become worn/black just after few weeks (without any track uses!) with my current set-up CSC HD and Wilwwood MC, any idea ?

FYI, there is no visible leaks of fluid yet...
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

With a Internal CSC you will get fluid contamination no matter what you do. The CSC sits inside the trans and collects any fine dust from the clutch, As the slave actuates it rubs the dust on the sealing shaft and the fluid cleans it off which in turn goes into the fluid.

We warranty our Wilwood kit for 90 days even though Wilwood themselves have 0 warranty.

We have added a replacement kit at a GREATLY reduced cost should yours ever fail out of warranty just to help out the guys that have supported us.

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...-ZSP3003-R.htm
Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Italianjoe1

I have had the second master I got from Zspeed for well over a year and it's got nice clear fluid in it. The first one it was very black right away. I feel like it was just bad seals or some sort of conditioning issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 AM
FastGreg

Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
With a Internal CSC you will get fluid contamination no matter what you do. The CSC sits inside the trans and collects any fine dust from the clutch, As the slave actuates it rubs the dust on the sealing shaft and the fluid cleans it off which in turn goes into the fluid.

We warranty our Wilwood kit for 90 days even though Wilwood themselves have 0 warranty.

We have added a replacement kit at a GREATLY reduced cost should yours ever fail out of warranty just to help out the guys that have supported us.

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...-ZSP3003-R.htm
Thank you for that, I will purchase the rebuild kit right now.

Do you think it's better to change the all MC ?

Last edited by FastGreg; 07-31-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 AM
FastGreg

I have had the second master I got from Zspeed for well over a year and it's got nice clear fluid in it. The first one it was very black right away. I feel like it was just bad seals or some sort of conditioning issue.
Very interesting, you change the entire MC, or just use the rebuild kit ? Thanks.

Last edited by FastGreg; 07-31-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Italianjoe1

I changed to a different size bore master cyl so I had to change the whole unit. I also got the newer style at the time so it was different configuration all around. This one hasn't been dirtying the fluid at all though.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
FastGreg

Thanks for th input, let's wait for re-build kit, I hope it will fix this !
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 AM
c4t

what type of fluid do you guys recommend for track driving after switching the CMC?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by c4t
what type of fluid do you guys recommend for track driving after switching the CMC?
Motul RBF660
Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 AM
ian99rt

I'm in the process of revising my clutch master cylinder due to a damaged master cylinder rod.

The source of the issue is the Wilwood master's threads are about 0.17" too long for my setup. This is not normally an issue but with my modifed clutch pedal allowing me to greatly reduce the pedal height / throw the rod was actually interfering with pedal movement.

I found the issue by trying to adjust my clutch and found everything bound up with the end of the MC threaded rod bent & mushroomed.

Made a new MC to pedal fork b/c the old one can't be removed and will shorten the new MC rod to avoid the issue.

I'll try to attach pics later tonight.

Quick Reply: DIY: Zspeed Wilwood Clutch Master Cylinder