Notices

Learning the ropes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM
375rngrZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning the ropes

I have a basic understanding on engines as it stands. I find myself looking up things and trying to learn but what im really looking for is somewhere to learn a basic to intermediate overview of engines as a whole so that I can stop relying on others and start doing my own work. I can search online all I want but most of it references people with an already achieved knowledge. since I don't have a family member or friend who is a mechanic im really looking for somewhere to learn what im doing, not at an expert level but enough to get by as I learn more. I know most people on here have an elevated knowledge of what they are doing so my question is. is there a site or a book where I can learn what im doing maybe accrue knowedge to get me to where I can learn by doing past the basic knowledge of how to put an exhaust on or change the oil. besides obviously attending a school which ive found also requires you to have an understanding of a certain level and also isn't attainable as im in the army. any help is appreciated.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

1)Get car
2)Get factory service manual for said car
3)Get tools
4)Get to work - tackle each individual project and step as it comes. Become familiar with the platform. You already have all the tools at your fingertips to get started. Short of going to school, the rest is up to you.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
1)Get car
2)Get factory service manual for said car
3)Get tools
4)Get to work - tackle each individual project and step as it comes. Become familiar with the platform. You already have all the tools at your fingertips to get started. Short of going to school, the rest is up to you.
Good advice! I think doing your own routine maintenance we should all be able to do. Change oil, brake pads and belts.
We all learn as we go. I started with oil. changes, alternators radiators starters. Then I had to choose whether to pay for a new turbo and head gasket or learn how to do it myself. Did it myself because I was cheap and short on money. Paid off and had fun learning.

Just understand whether you think you have a good concept of each job. Some like suspension work can kill you if you don't follow safety procedures. Always wear eye protection esp on brakes. Make sure you know the tools required for each job.

I think you will do your homework, have fun learning to be self reliant! Gl on the exhaust.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

I find it that you can read all you want, watch as many vid as you want, but you still dont know **** until you actually get your hands dirty. Watching and reading is completely different from actually doing it. Remember, for the most parts when working on cars, its just unbolting bolts and re screwing them back on. Once you starts to get into the springs, and the actual internal of the engine it gets more complicated, but still basic concept. Start small. Work on smallwr, simpler cars. Donthensmaller work like oil change, exhaust change and stuff like that. Once you get into thenharder part, it might be wise to have someone who knows what theyre doing to stand by and guide you through the process.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's start with an oil change. Do have a way to safely get your car off the ground? If not, get some ramps, like these:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rhino-gear-rhinoramp-11909/10157441-P?searchTerm=ramps

And some wheel chocks, like these:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rhino-gear-heavy-duty-wheel-chocks-11930/9040014-P?searchTerm=wheel+chocks

Get these items, post back here and we'll cover getting the car airborne safely first. Then we'll cover some tools and supplies.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 375rngrZ
I know most people on here have an elevated knowledge of what they are doing
I wouldnt go that far!

like others said - start small. Get a haynes or chilton manual, download the free factory service manual and use the internet to search as much as you can before you start. Get in the habit of labeling parts that you take off and use a torque wrench to properly reinstall.

also check out courtesy parts dot com, they have a great deal of breakdown schematics of the whole car, not to mention they have very competitive prices. Keep searching for a 'mentor' - search using these forums, your local forums and possibly craigslist - such as a mobile mechanic - offer to pay them $20 - $50 an hour just to help you with repairs. Everyone was a beginner at some point.

any you fork-up you can replace - it's called stupid tax! Don't be afraid to ask questions after you've searched and post up a ton of pictures, get a photobucket account so you can link them...we all love pictures!!

Last edited by bealljk; 09-15-2014 at 09:14 PM.