Notices

DIY Reverse Tiptronic Shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM
350Z242

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Reverse Tiptronic Shift

The way Nissan chose to have the auto shift in tiptronic is backwards to what makes sense. It should pull back to shift up as you accelerate, and it should push forward to shift down when braking. I don't know why they did it this way, but luckily, it is easy to switch. There are other ways to do this, but mine is much simpler then cutting wires or re-pinning connectors.

You'll need...
Flat blade screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
Drill
2 small screws
Small piece of scrap metal

You'll first need to remove the center console to get at the shift switches (someone else has already detailed this in another DIY).

The way the tiptronic works is there are two switches that when clicked will up or down shift. The small metal arm depress the red button. If you swith their locations, you reverse the shift pattern.

The brown/gray wires go to the down-shift switch, and the green wires go to the up-shift switch.

There is a small clip holding each switch in place. It looks exactly like the round clip in the picture. I used a small flat blade screw driver to pry it off. It will snap off and be worthless, but I found a way around this.

Once the clips are off, the switches are now free to come off the post they rest on. Reverse their locations and route the wires so they're out of the way. Then, drill two small holes in the same place I did (yellow circles).

Use a small piece of scrap metal and two small screws as a retainer for the switches. You could glue them in, but the screws allow you to change your mind.

Now, reinstall the center console, and enjoy your new shift pattern. Be careful when first driving with the new pattern as you may accidentally shift like the old pattern.

Last edited by 350Z242; 10-24-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought it makes perfect sense to push forward to shift up lol. I drove my friend's BMW and it was the opposite and it got me confused for a minute why the car was revving high as hell when i was trying to shift up
Old 11-01-2016, 06:53 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Can I do this shift on my 6MT?