Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

Merry Christmas to me

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

So I guess you are going with hood pins
Old 02-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

very nice
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
So I guess you are going with hood pins
yeah that's the first thing I said when I seen it(front support bar) guess I am going with hood pins.. yeah.., that's alright with everything else with the build.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:45 AM
CUL8ER

Alright not much to add. But I have been messing with my fuel system. I originally had the old AAM surge tank/return system. (-8an-6an) But wasn't set up for 1000whp on e85.

The main fuel line was a 8an and a 6an return. That returned to the old 255 walbro in the fuel hanger/gas tank. with needing more fuel 30% more. I ran the return(-8an) back to the surge tank(had a 8an welded to it) I got of hold of Hal @ Dynosty and had them put a walbro 485 in the place of the walbro 255.
Name:  new%20fuel%20pump%20set%20up_zpsy7y8g0xv.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  1.27 MB

The MF4303 is a Magnafuel 4303 fuel pump.
here is my new fuel set up.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 AM
CUL8ER

The MF 4303 will be on a 6-8 psi hobbs switch.

Edit: While hooking up a hobbs switch isn't a bad/wrong way to do it. I have decided to run the magnafuel 4303 on 1 of the 4 inputs off the holley hp to control the fuel pump instead.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 04-17-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 AM
CUL8ER

Picked up some aero catch hood pins, real deals not knock off's. A pain in the *** to install, just because how precise you have to be, measure a 100 times cut once.
Also picked up a cheap set of hood dampers off ebay. Didn't want to do the hot-rod stick to keep my hood open.

Name:  DSC04980_zps2o8rgdig.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  282.9 KB
Name:  DSC04983_zpsevxeoudd.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  292.2 KB
Name:  DSC04984_zpsosszfclq.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  284.2 KB
Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 AM
CUL8ER

I just realised it's almost been 2 months since my last update. Well I have air/spark and now fuel. So should be staring it up here in a week or 2. I need a Holley base tune and I have to wait for the guy to come over for that.

Just to let anyone know who thinks this"little swap" is easy... It's not. Alot of time, money, patience and friends to help. And beer or whatever you do to get your mind off of the build when things don't go right, which they won't.

I had the money,time, and knowledgeable friends and it still was/is frustrating..
The following users liked this post:
Classy (04-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 03:42 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CUL8ER

Just to let anyone know who thinks this"little swap" is easy... It's not. Alot of time, money, patience and friends to help. And beer or whatever you do to get your mind off of the build when things don't go right, which they won't.

I had the money,time, and knowledgeable friends and it still was/is frustrating..
Very well said!!!! I'm still working out bugs on my set up.

Patience is key with big builds!!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM
CUL8ER

Yeah your not bullsh!tin jksstar about patience. I just ran out....2 seconds more and I might have pulled out the h&k and put air holes in it.

So I had a Holley tuner come over on Monday and after chasing gas leaks-fixed.Turned out to be a damaged o-ring on 1 of the Holley 160lbs injectors. Got lucky and had the oem nissan's laying around. Just switched out 0-rings.

The motor came alive. Then 1 of the earl's 90* fitting from my oil pan to my oil filter decided to **** out on me. and **** out oil. so we had to cut it short till I fixed that.

So after almost 10 months of messing with it. I figured I saved my self enough money and said fu@k it and yesterday had it towed to a buddy's shop. and with a homie hook up deal I should have it back with in a month. ready to run. Might even brake it in on a dyno just so I can get it back fully tuned.

So sorry guy's no vids of it running yet give me a little while I am sure to put some up once it's running.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 05-04-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome looking setup! Quick question, do you think there is room to have the turbo's mounted similar to how the Greddy TT kit was mounted right off the VQ block towards the bottom/back?

Would it be possible with a lot of banging? I like the way the turbo's were mounted here (definitely unique looking!), but wondering if you do custom manifold if space wise it could be done to have them out of the way so-to-speak like normal VQ TT setups where they get mounted. All I've seen is the turbo's mounted either way up front or way out back ala muffler style with turbo LS swaps.

Those turbo's look pretty big haha so figure you didn't have the space to mount where I'm talking about.

Last edited by Juztin; 05-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 AM
jksstar

Originally Posted by CUL8ER
Yeah your not bullsh!tin jksstar about patience. I just ran out....2 seconds more and I might have pulled out the h&k and put air holes in it.

So I had a Holley tuner come over on Monday and after chasing gas leaks-fixed.Turned out to be a damaged o-ring on 1 of the Holley 160lbs injectors. Got lucky and had the oem nissan's laying around. Just switched out 0-rings.

The motor came alive. Then 1 of the earl's 90* fitting from my oil pan to my oil filter decided to **** out on me. and **** out oil. so we had to cut it short till I fixed that.

So after almost 10 months of messing with it. I figured I saved my self enough money and said fu@k it and yesterday had it towed to a buddy's shop. and with a homie hook up deal I should have it back with in a month. ready to run. Might even brake it in on a dyno just so I can get it back fully tuned.

So sorry guy's no vids of it running yet give me a little while I am sure to put some up once it's running.

Its always something!!! I've been driving mine for afew months now and still working out thngs on it.

Hope they get it going for you soon!

Trust me when I say this, nothing like driving a boosted LS Z!!!!! Its worth all the work
Old 05-05-2016, 11:17 AM
CUL8ER

Originally Posted by Juztin
Awesome looking setup! Quick question, do you think there is room to have the turbo's mounted similar to how the Greddy TT kit was mounted right off the VQ block towards the bottom/back?

Would it be possible with a lot of banging? I like the way the turbo's were mounted here (definitely unique looking!), but wondering if you do custom manifold if space wise it could be done to have them out of the way so-to-speak like normal VQ TT setups where they get mounted. All I've seen is the turbo's mounted either way up front or way out back ala muffler style with turbo LS swaps.

Those turbo's look pretty big haha so figure you didn't have the space to mount where I'm talking about.

I had the Greddy TT kit with 2# 18g's on the VQ motor. The VQ motor gets narrower as you go down the block, it's tapered in that sense. The greddy tubros were fitted on the side middle/bottom of the VQ blocks. As you mentioned.

So no, the 6266's aren't much bigger, then the 18g's but the ls blocks don't taper. Their square. Placing any turbo there(side middle/bottom) I am guessing won't work on the ls series motor. well not in the 350z anyway
Plus my exhaust is in the way since I am running the exhaust through the turbos. To keep it quieter, so no fender dump outs.

I remember when those sts(turbo out back) kits first came out. Never liked that set up. That's 1 of the reasons why I didn't like the Greddy set up. I would go to car shows parked next to some big horse power cars. I would open my hood to what just looked like a down pipe, pretty boring if you ask me.

If you look at any 8sec car they all (98%) have the turbo/s in the engine bay. just more efficient/effective. Plus it looks bad azz. it's night and day from the old, can't see a turbo greddy kit
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
CUL8ER

Originally Posted by jksstar
Its always something!!! I've been driving mine for afew months now and still working out thngs on it.

Hope they get it going for you soon!

Trust me when I say this, nothing like driving a boosted LS Z!!!!! Its worth all the work

Yeah I figured as much. I didn't plan on really getting on it this year. Just going through all the little things. And making sure it runs and drives good.

it was just an oil leak from a stupid 30$ earl's fitting. But I was done, tired of smelling like fluids. and needed a long shower.

I can't wait to feel the torque. But the power band is what I am worried about.
the VQ motor was built and with the 18g's I was getting positive boost pressure around 2500 rpm's and I had 10,5Krpm cosworth heads so my power band was 3k-8,500 rpm's

That's why I went 6266's I should see pos boost pressure around the same rpm's (2500-3000) but I only have till 6800 rpm's so I will have to re-learn how the power kicks on.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM
jksstar

Hows the car coming along?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
CUL8ER

Originally Posted by jksstar
Hows the car coming along?

It's getting parted out............. Joeking.

So up to date my car is at a buddy's friend shop. Getting tuned on e85 and dealing with other peoples problems.

So my issue is now. I bought a wilwood MC from Sikky. It wasn't holding air. So I took it apart and I found 2 different styles of seals and 1 was cracked. So me and a buddy shipped it back to Sikky. Well a week or 2 later (tracking showed signed for 2 days after shipping) but some how it wasn't checked in right away. And by then me and a buddy realised that we needed a couple of parts of the original MC that I didn't get when I bought the new 1.

So get of hold of Sikky they call back the next day after finding the box with what was suppose to be the wilwood MC in it, well they tell me that no MC was in the box but did have magnets and magnet tape????. So my buddy is a Sikky dealer and we are trying to figure out what's going on and what to do next..

I have clutch engagement finely but now the slave cylinder is now leaking down the bellhousing. So I have to replace that, drain trans,remove exhaust, drop trans, repeat in reverse. I call O's with the part# of the SC I just bought from them 3 months ago. Turns out that part # is discontinued because of defects. I ask the guy behind the counter, discontinued because of leaking. He said more then likely...WTF.

I should have the car back soon(this month). I can see why these builds get parted out. With the amount of time and money, almost enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I lost my blue pit to cancer 7 months ago he was 6 years old and in his prime, Was a hard loss for me and I have just recently been looking to pick up another 1. So that's been keeping me busy and not worrying about my Z, which helps...
Old 06-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Classy

You are so close!!!

Sorry to hear about your pit, a dogs love is something special. Mine knows when I am having a bad day and she makes sure I smile. Good luck finding a new friend.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:11 PM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sick bro. What hood dampers?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM
CUL8ER

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Sick bro. What hood dampers?
Thanks, and I don't know if this is ok to post. but these are where/who I bought mine from.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-2-Blac...kAAOSwHnFV1hv~

Last edited by CUL8ER; 06-10-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 AM
CUL8ER

Originally Posted by Classy
You are so close!!!

Sorry to hear about your pit, a dogs love is something special. Mine knows when I am having a bad day and she makes sure I smile. Good luck finding a new friend.
Thanks Classy.

Yeah it's close for sure, I will get her out and put some miles on her this summer.I will post pics once I get her out on the road.

This was my last pit, named Bugsy. Been looking for a while now. I found a nice litter but it's in Downers Grove, IL. 400 miles from me, Just west of Chicago. I guess it beats paying for shipping. So I might be making the drive this weekend.
Name:  633765262680830000-1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  36.9 KB

Last edited by CUL8ER; 06-10-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Classy

Mine is almost the same but black instead grey with white socks

I hope it works out

Quick Reply: Merry Christmas to me