Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

Merry Christmas to me

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:50 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Well, hello stranger! Good to see you're still around and getting that Z worked on.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM
CUL8ER

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Dave, Yeah it's been a process to say the least...

Update:
So car is running and getting tuned. Ran into yet 1 more problem, Fuel is leaving the passenger side of fuel tank too fast for the driver side to keep up so it's running out of fuel. The venturi line is too small.
So gonna use 1 of these and see if that's does the trick.http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Je...-Kit-P760.aspx.
Again I will update once I here more.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CUL8ER
Thanks Dave, Yeah it's been a process to say the least...

Update:
So car is running and getting tuned. Ran into yet 1 more problem, Fuel is leaving the passenger side of fuel tank too fast for the driver side to keep up so it's running out of fuel. The venturi line is too small.
So gonna use 1 of these and see if that's does the trick.http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Je...-Kit-P760.aspx.
Again I will update once I here more.

I just ditched my stock tank and went with a cell and two big inline pumps.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM
CUL8ER

^ yeah I should have done that over the last winter, paying for it now...
Crappy thing is I spent a good amount of time running all the -10an lines and fittings. I made it way more complicated then it had to be..

Still no new news. With all the holidays hoping it should be done soon I still need to install a couple of things RJM clutch pedal ect..
Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 AM
jksstar

Originally Posted by CUL8ER
^ yeah I should have done that over the last winter, paying for it now...
Crappy thing is I spent a good amount of time running all the -10an lines and fittings. I made it way more complicated then it had to be..

Still no new news. With all the holidays hoping it should be done soon I still need to install a couple of things RJM clutch pedal ect..
I tried for a year to get the stock tank to work but it was always issues and I did the same thing, spent way to much money on it.

I've done one race now with the fuel cell in the back (behind tires) and it has so much better weight transfer.

Hope you get to drive and race it soon!!!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 PM
CUL8ER

Alright finally have some good news.

I had to tow the Z back home, I had a differences in opinion with the owner of the shop. So I decided to fix the things that needed to be fixed on my own. A bad crankshaft sensor, replaced. A bad alternator, replaced. Installed the RJM clutch pedal.

Karma or what ever you want to call it was in my favour for once, my buddy was posting some disappointment of the path my car has gone. So the OG tuner seen that and came over for free and spent a little time tuning the car.

So now it runs, idles hold a sold temp of 193*. It steady at 1000rpm. Goes into gear with no grinding. So I have a date for this coming saturday to go on the dyno. I could drive it around the neighbourhood now but salt on the ground and the ally to garage is a ice rink. So I can wait till then.
I am changing out the old oil, sat to long with only short start ups so has unburnt gas in oil. And I need to loctight the driveshaft bolts. And the dipstick tube is a C hair from the exhaust manifold so I need to fix/wrap that.

So good news.Car is running and would be drivable if I had the B@lls and a good push. I will take cell phone vid of the car running on the dyno next week, fingers crossed.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 02-04-2017 at 04:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CUL8ER:
Classy (02-06-2017), jksstar (02-10-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I feel bad for your tire funds this spring
Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 AM
jksstar

awesome news !!! keep us posted
Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

You should be able to drive it this weekend or even next week with how everything has warmed up.

Looking forward to pics or vids or more of the story. Sucks that you had to go get the car and do it yourself, but maybe that's a good thing for you.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Pedro Rafael

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well.. this makes up for not having a valentines hahaha subbed!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
CUL8ER

Thanks for the kind words guy's.

Sorry I don't have any good vids of the car I took 2 with my crappy phone but the sound is way off so I don't want to post them up. I will get some from a gopro next week.

I was able to drive it for the first time saturday. Put some shakedown miles on it. And of course fouled the plugs so I changed them out. Another oil leak at the fittings, leaked out 2 qts luckily not on the drive. Got that straiten out. Tuner messed with it some more got the idle down to low-mid 800's sounds nice with a little lobe on the cam. I will put some more miles on it this week before sat.

So were going to give the dyno a try this coming saturday.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM
CUL8ER

Thanks classy, yeah tires I have thought about that. My thoughts were the mich PP on the volks will be for shows and the mickey's on the knock off 15's will be for go. The micks are half the price of the mich's so that should help.

Thanks star. yeah the tuner didn't know I could smile until this last weekend. lol...

Thanks smooth and yeah your right about the weather. I have complained about a lot of things this year and the weather hasn't been one of them.

Yeah I don't wanna say some shops see my car as dollar signs but man it sure feels that way sometimes. I don't mind wrenching but turning 40 in may so I can't keep crawling on the floor. lol
Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
CUL8ER

what I need to do now is read up on suspension set up for the Z. I had to raise the car up, tuner asked if I could for the dyno. I don't want my front bumper to scrap so I need to figure that out then get an a alignment.

here is the car at the new height. 5 1/2 inches all 4 corners. seems real high but intercooler is 4' from the ground and front bumper sits another 1"1/2 flower then that.
I think it looks 4x4ish but I might be stuck at this height.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 02-14-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Suspension will be a big deal for your car, going to have to try and build it around traction
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM
CUL8ER

Yeah we'll see here how it does. I do need a rear diff brace, I wish there was more on the market. I seen a diaper style brace on a 04-06 gto looks real beefy. I might have to find someone who can fab a 1 off.
Depending on price I might give that a go.

Well more good new and of course a little bad. So car runs pretty damn good on the 6lb springs. Est low 5's to the rears, wasn't able to go on the dyno. But I was able to drive home on Sunday the 40 miles.

6th gear down the highway at 65mph @ 1800rpm's. It's so quiet. Start to feel positive boost around 2400rpm and full on at 3300. I have put maybe 200 miles on it since driving it home. just going through and tighten all the leaks air/oil/coolant. I will put a couple hundred more and change the tranny fluid.
Motor 400 more or so and put some boost behind it.

Still thinking I have a couple of months before May I would like to ditch the stock tank and get one of those ATI "well" spare tire fuel cells. that's another we'll see here. Here is some pics with the engine bay put back together. still no front bumper, it's at a friends getting painted. I did add some Be-cool stuff to the inside of the hood to try and hide the big hole somewhat.

Last edited by CUL8ER; 02-22-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM
CUL8ER

Name:  DSC05230_zpswf2agngb.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  313.7 KB

Name:  DSC05229_zpshvofbqq1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  368.7 KB

Name:  DSC05231_zpsaeqywctj.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  357.2 KB

Name:  DSC05227_zpswpofrysn.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  290.8 KB
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
jksstar

Looking good, glad you getting to drive it
The following users liked this post:
CUL8ER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:07 AM
CUL8ER

Thanks it's been fun.. But it all can't be... So since the weather is 50*-60* 1 day and 30* the next I decided do fix some things. So front cover crank seal was leaking so I replaced that. 6 hours later and a 18$ dollar seal... I saved all oil and some coolant..Then since the car was on stands I started messing with the gas tank/fuel pump issue.

After some thought. I decided to ditch the AAM surge tank and 044 pump. So I ran the walbro to a y and I ran the magnafuel 4303 to the y. The bottom Y goes to feed the rails. To fuel the magnafuel I added a 10an 90* bulkhead to the driver side sender. I used a SS tube 5/8.OD and .035walls. I used a 37* flare nut and sleeve used a 37* flare tool and flared both ends of the SS tube tighten down and ran a 10an line from bulkhead/sender to magnafuel.

I used a inline filter between bulkhead/sender and magnafuel. I have a check valve inline between magnafuel and walbro feed, fuel doesn't go backwards. I also took my 4an line and fittings off passenger side return and made them 6an. So now it goes from a 8an from FPR to fuel bucket then reduced at bucket to 6an. The walbro is 6an (2 feet) to 10an to feed the rails.

So I just finished that and while under the car I noticed the driver side inner CV boot is ripped and flung grease.(how I noticed) Couldn't find 1 local then I remembered I had DSS pro axles. So I called them up and they are sending me a free boot/grease/clamps. So ups and downs for sure...