You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Hey guys, so i'm gonna tackle this project. I have about month to go before the premier of Tron Legacy and I plan it to wear it there with my friends.
I would love to show you guys what I'm doing and hope you guys can join me in motivating me and helping me along with this project!
I have found the instruction online, but to be honest, I am a total noob when it comes to using bondo, fiberglass resin and sanding. So I would expect some good tips regarding bondo, fiberglass resin and sanding.
Also, do bear with me because I am in grad school and I barely have time on my hand, but I am determine to finish this a week before the Tron Legacy's premier!
and for those that do not know who is Thomas Bangalter of Daft Punk...shame on u..here's the pic of him and his helmet.. *it's the one in silver helmet*
Ah! here we go...made a list of materials for the DIY..according to what i've found out...This is my first project and since i'm such a perfectionist, it will take a while for me to get the result..for now i'm trying to figure out how to cut out the helmet's ear and the back of helmet
- dremel (to cut out the baseball helmet)
- Mighty Putty (billy mays variety) or epoxy putty ..(to fill in the air vent of baseball helmet)
- cardstock (from office depot)
- xacto knife
- sandpaper (im starting with low 100's and work my way up to higher number...it really depends on the level of finish you want...in this case, i want the smoothest result as possible)
that's all i'm gonna do..i'll get to shopping on friday! whoot!
...i'm not buying anything ...i have seen numerous pictures and DIY with thomas helmet...but no one has done anything near-perfect...i have seen couple...this is what i am trying to accomplish..a near-perfect quality of thomas-helmet
ok it has been couple days and i have manage to download the template and start folding. Man it was a hassle to get this side ear piece to connect between the upper visor and lower visor...
this is luchofunk's model,
this is mine...notice the different on the side connecting the upper and lower visor??
..will attempt to this method and post up the result before i start resining it!!
stay tuned! thanks!
edit: i still have the helmet..but i'm just gonna use the faceplate version (the upper visor, lower visor, and chins)..not the whole thing...since i'll need some paddings and a base so helmet serves that purpose.....
ok so, i got a hot glue gun..figure that is much better..it did helps alot, but i am going to add masking tape as well.
this is my first-trial and see how it is so far..
So far so good, right? so i proceed to cut out the helmet (thanks to my friend's dremel)
and then i put on the front mask on and see how it when i wear em...
Ah well, looks like the front mask is bit smaller, since the chin doesnt really extend more. Also, the paper were bit flimsy..so i'll have to find thicker ones or maybe a cardboard...or i'll just put 6 cardstock papers together and glue the edge with hot glue and bind them.
perhap, the masking tape would be better since i was using scotch tape hehe. Now i know what part goes and how to go about it. So tomorrow, i'll find thicker paper, masking tapes and proceed to print out bigger size.
Remember, i printed those templates out from PDF at 100%, so i'll have to go bit higher!
The helmet first perfect..no problemo!
Well, back to playing with papers and see what works best..stay tuned!!
Oh! remember in previous post i mentioned about Pepakura...well i went ahead and play with it on my friend's laptop and tried to print them out. Ehhh, it was a PITA because of the scale size. So i was like eff it, ill improvise base on Luchofunk's PDF...
ya..i'll do the mouth thing..don't worry..i'll get it done last...
anyway, so i found out the that baseball helmet was the problem..meh whatever...so i got the bmx helmet from walmart..whoot! ..no cutting needed..
Main thing what was bothering me is the chin and the lower visor..so i had to improvise especially with the side ear thing that i was having trouble in the first place
i made some traces on cardboard and put my hot glue gun to work. I got some masking tape which proves to be useful lol!
gonna do the Ear part tomorrow. I will work with soda cans. Yay..can't wait get to started on fiberglassing!! I won't be able to complete the whole fiberglass thing this weekend though because of the weather.
so hopefully next week or something during this week i'll get it started..