Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrests!!! They do exist!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM
CNOTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=gringottwhy is my head flopping around? QUOTE]
If your head is just naturally (or unnaturally as the case may be) flopping around, I think you have a more serious problem than a headrest that doesn't work how you want it to...

In how many cars does your head actually touch the headrest without leaning back to begin with? probably not too many..
Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and it's not supposed to to begin with.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 AM
CNOTE

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
... and it's not supposed to to begin with.
exactly...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:59 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a little research and found this:
http://www.icbc.com/library/research..._resultsPU.asp

Looks like most cars are pretty crappy. Don't see the Z specifically, but it's probably in line with other Nissans. Still, this modification doesn't neccessarily make it better; couldn't know that without proper testing.

BUT, from reading this article, it looks to be a step in the right direction... I'd have to change my assessment of this mod to "good job!"

Article:
http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/11/2/97
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
THOR's Z

I just traded a 03 Caddy CTS for my Z, the head rests in it were adjustable (tilted forward/backward). I always rode with them just touching the back of my head. Although it was a altogether different seat (also had lumbar support)you could sit all the way in the back of the seat and your whole upper body felt supported. It seemed to make a big difference in comfort. You will be always better off with the least amount of head movement in any crash.

Last edited by THOR's Z; 10-27-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Amiricanmade

Didn't really care to read the whole post, but you should have gotten some EBay head rest pillow. You are causing yourself to have a Upwer-Extremity Postural Distortion, which basically means a forward head/bad posture. Just though u should know, i do this for a living.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Volff

The headrests are not active. I have taken the seats apart... To convert to leather. There is nothing inside other than supportive materials. Also, this mod is absolutely NOT pushing my head forward. It merely is far enough forward that when I lean my head back I am no longer staring at the ceiling, but comfortably at the road. During normal driving, my head does not always touch... Which tells me this has ZERO affect on my posture... It is basically for longer trips in the car to obtain better comfort. )

Last edited by Volff; 10-27-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
SS21CA

Hyundai has pretty awesome headrests in their cars. Like the Azera, took one of those to vegas, it sticks out and supports ur neck real well....

BTW... I think im gonna do this mod, should help on the morning commute.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Daxx

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Like I mentioned above, given Nissan mandatory crash test and this inventors mod that was not crash tested, I'd choose the one that was crash tested. Maybe I'm just really crazy for having this logic.
Yeah I can see why you might come to that conclusion, you probably have lady parts where your man parts are supposed to be.

Kick *** idea. The only thing that would top your (properly corrected) headrests would be a tilt option.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:44 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Daxx
Yeah I can see why you might come to that conclusion, you probably have lady parts where your man parts are supposed to be.

Kick *** idea. The only thing that would top your (properly corrected) headrests would be a tilt option.
dude. this was 10 years ago
Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Daxx

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Nissan must have had to go through a crash test with the 350Z to meet North American safety standard in order to be allowed to sell the car... So I would think they would have used a crash test dummy to measure the neck pressure in a crash with it's design...

While this is a pretty um... unique "mod", I'll guess this design was not crash tested to see if this add-on would stand different kinds of force or how different this mod would change the outcome of the OEM design in a crash.

I think I'll stick to the OEM design which was crash tested to meet North American safety standards, but that's just me.

Now if you did this to give yourself some place to relax your head while driving a sports car... I guess it's a nice design, but I wouldn't try to call it a mod to make it safer like some others have tried to point out.
So what you're saying is that no matter what angle your seat is at or how far your headrest is back, as long as it's "crash tested" you'll be safe in your seat while driving. I think you might be putting a little too much faith into a crash test that allows the possibility of someone to drive in a completely laid back position and consider that car "safe" but moving the head rest 2 inches forward from being 2 inches too far back is unsafe. The last time I checked, the less allowable play in your neck the less possibility of it snapping in half. Hence neck braces. You logic sucks and you should go back to elementary school.

P.S.
Go buy a Subaru

P.P.S. Twin turbo chargers are NOT crash tested!!! If you are now planning on getting rid of your tt Z... I will take that unsafe vehicle off your hands at a great price of 90% off
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Daxx

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
dude. this was 10 years ago
Yes but I just read it today. Lol. I was looking for aftermarket headrests that fit where the oems fit.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Posting on any thred over 1 year old will bring flames, fyi.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:37 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A great idea