Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VDC/Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Zeebra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC/Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Issue

Hey guys I did a search and found installs and reviews and how your supposed to make sure you dont twist the spiral cable too much... Just dont see where that cable is...

Just had my shop install my Works Bell hub and NRG quick release and they messed up the steering wheel angle sensor. We tried to find the spiral cable but when you take the hub off I have a panel with a little white **** that aligns to the new hub and it looks like 2 connectors.. Do I need to remove that panel to get to the sprial cable to fix it? Because I dont see the sensor from just taking off the steering wheel... Im guessin it has to be under that panel with the white alignment ****. Any help would be great! It monsoons everyday in Florida and would like my VDC...

-Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
zxpwr

the panel with the white **** is your spriral cable (inside it at least), the two cable coming out of it are for the airbags, the steering wheel angle sensor is attached to the back of that panel (black plastic held down by 3 screws)..

i dont see how the shop can mess that up since installing the hub does not require taking out the spiral cable, my guess is the spiral cable was turned while the steering wheel was out.

just go to the dealer and have them reset the sensor, but also depending how much the spiral cable was turned, you could snap that expensive spiral cable soon.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Zeebra

So if I brought it to Nissan is that something they can do without removing the hub and quick release?

So if I bring it back to them Im gonna have them remove the black panel with the white **** and check the cable. And then Im guessing its trial and error and which angle to put it at... Ive been driving everyday with it... Just with the VDC and Slip light on. Its my DD so I dont have a choice.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM
zxpwr

resetting the angle position will not require to taking off the hub, the car will be hooked up to consult II and reset the position to 0 +/-?? degrees with the weels in straight position.

if you're going to the dealer I suggest to have them check the position of the spiral cable as well, it only turns a number of times from left to right and if not put back correctly, it could snap. It is not a serviceable part which costs around $650...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my advice (having just had the same problem)... set your wheels straight (the only real way to do it without an alighnment machine or the like is to drive a little ways on a flat surface and point the car straight)... take it all apart; the quick release, hub, and wheel. check that the spiral hub thingy is set in the right area (it has about 4.5 turns from stop to stop so go all the way to one stop (DO NOT PUT MUCH PRESSURE ON IT WHILE SPINNING IT, IT WILL SCREW IT UP) then back it off 2.25 turns, figure out which way is the shortest direction to get the white **** back to the top center and go spin it that direction till it's perfectly top dead center. align your hub adapter so the recess is right on that **** and put the hub on to the splines... the orange and yellow cables are for the airbag so do whatever you want with them... i don't recommend taking the wheel angle sensor/wire bundle spindle apart to unclip them or anything... if you're not planning on going back to stock i'd just clip them short and put some electrical tape over the ends... the female cennector is for the cruise control bundle and horn(and radio controls i guess if you had them on your old wheel) to slip in to so unless you're going to mount cruise control on your racing wheel don't worry about it just leave it alone... if you want a horn on your wheel you can figure out which wire your horn is by looking at the male end of the cruise control/horn bundle and find the pin that just has the "u" connector at the end of the free wire and get a single pin connector and attach just that pin... the horn works just by grounding that wire to the steering spline shaft so you only need the one... after you've figured out what you're doing with the wiring and such tighten down the hub adapter (keep the position sensor **** at 12 o'clock) and then attach the quick release and steering wheel... I hope that helps... THEN if it is still off you should be all set to go get it reset to the right angle like zxpwr was explaining... you can just go get it reset though if you don't mind it being all jacked up but working regardless; less work is all you get out of doing it that way but the whole process only took me about 15 minutes
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Zeebra

Very kick *** bro! Thanks. I was trying to figure a way to get it back to center.. So its 4.5 times gently until it stops back it off half of that and it should be TDC. I already took everything apart last night because Im having some issues and I wanted to get this corrected for good.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

i have a misalignment due to a curb, so in for answers
Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohh... update... it's easier to just get the damned thing reset... good god all mighty. takes about 5 minutes too... dealership said it would cost about $90 plus tax. and as a side note... sometimes the VDC doesn't turn itself off and it kicks in going in a straight line and tries to "help" you take a left hand turn at about 45mph in traffic... wife thought that one was fun
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
350z_widebody
Banned

i got the same problem but i think i spun alot more then 4.5 turns some way cause i put it in from a part out.. mine works on like a sensor or something im guessing,, not wires.. like most of the nissans i took apart its a 2007 grand touring.. and im just woundering if i stop by the dealer would they be able to reset it no matter how many times i spun it...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes the dealer can reset the steering angle sensor.

or you can hook up Cipher or a Haltech and see where you angle is and respin it back to 0* when the wheels are straight ahead.

Mines at 427* when the wheel is straight ahead and I obviously have VDC problems LOL!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
350z_widebody
Banned

well i took it all apart just now spun it couple times dont even know where. hah, put it togather and it went of.. i didnt believe it at first, i drove it bak and forth today turning the wheel bak and forth lol and it still works fine,,, guess i might've just gotten lucky or something... IDK but i would love to lol... i unhooked the battery before taken everything of, then hooked it bak together when i was bout to start drivin, so im guessing it reset itself?? anyways... thanks for the help guys really appricate it!!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
gregom

Hmm I had a similar problem with the spiral cable at least when replacing my steering rack. In the process of replacing and testing my new rack the lower shaft was not bolted into position, slipped down too low and snapped the plastic collar that connects the lower and upper shafts. With the lower and upper shaft disconnected, I turned my wheel slowly several times, listening very closely, until I started to hear the wires binding up. I backed off one full turn and went the other way... I think it was about 4 full rotations before hearing the wires starting to bind up. I split the difference and hooked everything back up so hopefully I am at or maybe a full rotation off from what was center position.

I don't have VDC though so I haven't had any probs. Since I don't have VDC I probably don't have a steering wheel angle sensor, I would assume... If I do but it just isn't being used by the computer, could it be used to get my wheel back to the proper center position with CONSULT II or even cipher / haltech? My hope is to prevent prolonged stress to the spiral cable which may cause it to start flaking out, losing my cruise, horn, or even airbag! I would hope an airbag light would come on if the car didn't detect the wheel airbag...

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM
nightcrawler_8

i had the almost he same issue when i installed my Turbo setup.

the solution was simple. hooked the OBD and did reset the steering angle and everything went fine.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^you actually saw a steering angle OBDII code?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Lotekkid666

Default Help!

I'm having the same issue but my breaks are locking up on front driver side I'm getting it reset today. The weird thing is this didn't start happening till I replaced my break pads. Any clues as to why they're locking up?