Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel and Gauge Cluster Blacked Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Wheel and Gauge Cluster Blacked Out

With the center console completed, I moved on to the gauge cluster and then the steering wheel. Next week - the doors get done.

Procedure with pics to follow:

Old 03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Zenica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That actually looks very nice. How durable is the finish? I ask because
the steering wheel is a high traffic area....

BTW, where are your cruise controls located?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
harvin350z

looks clean..nice job
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
lbz

This is a base model. No cruise control and no audio controls on the steering wheel.

Time will tell on the finish. I am wondering about that myself. If the steering wheel pieces become a mess, I know a professional interior guy up north Long Beach and will take them to him. Might be better to cover those with vinyl similar to what's already on the steering wheel.

I'm open to experimenting, the process for taking this stuff apart is surprisingly easy.

I used DupliColor adhesion promoter and DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric (flat black) after sanding with 800 and then 1500 grit sandpaper.

Last edited by lbz; 03-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Zenica

I like it and now that you mention it, I would probably like the steering wheel pieces
wrapped in vinyl but I doubt it could be done on mine, the cruise button stick through and I don't see how you could wrap vinyl through the cut outs w/o affecting room for
the button. Let us know how it holds up to touching...the natural oils in human skin
can wear down paints or dye. Nice project tho...looks sharp.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
cheshirecat79

I think the (most of the time faux) aluminum accents in the Z do a lot for its style.

While I applaud people trying out new things, I think this just ends up making the interior different in a bad way... more bland.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
avandss

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I think the (most of the time faux) aluminum accents in the Z do a lot for its style.

While I applaud people trying out new things, I think this just ends up making the interior different in a bad way... more bland.
exactly what i was thinking... if you really had to do something with the steering wheel (had to) i would of wrapped it with the dry carbon fiber.. it seems to be the new thing to do and more and more ppl are doing it since its so easy to apply

but i would prob would of just replaced the stock aluminum parts with new ones instead of painting it black.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
lbz

Thanks for all the feedback. The silver pieces do add an element of style, for sure. I'm a bit of a minimalist and I felt they were ... waht's the right word... distratcting.. or, over done.

I considered the CF kit but that seemed a bit flashy...

Anyway, will post updates on finish as it holds up / comes apart.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Zenica

Originally Posted by avandss
exactly what i was thinking... if you really had to do something with the steering wheel (had to) i would of wrapped it with the dry carbon fiber.. it seems to be the new thing to do and more and more ppl are doing it since its so easy to apply

but i would prob would of just replaced the stock aluminum parts with new ones instead of painting it black.
Carbon fiber is the one look I like the least.

it is like a Rihanna song, over played.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 PM
avandss

Originally Posted by Zenica
Carbon fiber is the one look I like the least.

it is like a Rihanna song, over played.
im not a huge fan of carbon fiber in the car specially when its just for show and not actually useful,
but blacking out the steering wheel and the cluster is just dull. IF I HAD TO replace the aluminum parts or paint them... i would at least do something that looks somewhat nice and not dull

my .02
Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you remove those two panels on the steering wheel?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
lbz

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
How did you remove those two panels on the steering wheel?
Had to take the steering wheel off. It's actually pretty easy but you need a T30 tamper resistant Torx bit, a normal T40 Torx bit, phillips head #2 screwdriver and a 19mm socket to do it.

Here's where I found the info. I didnt need the entire posting, just the steering wheel removal part. Actually, you can go to step 8 on the procedure linked below, flop the steering wheel over, pull the rear cowling off and that should expose the remaining screws (1 for each piece) that are holding those trim pieces in.

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...t-install.html

Last edited by lbz; 03-16-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Mr.

Thumbs up

How did you remove the gauge cluster bezel? I've been wondering how to do that for awhile.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Zenica

Originally Posted by lbz
Had to take the steering wheel off. It's actually pretty easy but you need a T30 tamper resistant Torx bit, a normal T40 Torx bit, phillips head #2 screwdriver and a 19mm socket to do it.

Here's where I found the info. I didnt need the entire posting, just the steering wheel removal part. Actually, you can go to step 8 on the procedure linked below, flop the steering wheel over, pull the rear cowling off and that should expose the remaining screws (1 for each piece) that are holding those trim pieces in.

I am not that adventurous to remove my steering wheel, risk of air bag deployment is all the dissuading I need. How did you ensure the air bag stayed inactive?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 AM
lbz

Originally Posted by Zenica
I am not that adventurous to remove my steering wheel, risk of air bag deployment is all the dissuading I need. How did you ensure the air bag stayed inactive?
I was concerned as well until I got into the procedure. Battery leads off was one step. Only two screws holding it in made for easy removal, once the two leads were off the back, no way to fire unless dropped. I just worked slowly and carefully when handling. I put it on the P side floor while doing the rest of the work so it had no where to fall.

When I went to start the car after I was done, was funny, I put my seat back all the way back.. was afraid it still might fire for some reason.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Zenica

Originally Posted by lbz
I was concerned as well until I got into the procedure. Battery leads off was one step. Only two screws holding it in made for easy removal, once the two leads were off the back, no way to fire unless dropped. I just worked slowly and carefully when handling. I put it on the P side floor while doing the rest of the work so it had no where to fall.

When I went to start the car after I was done, was funny, I put my seat back all the way back.. was afraid it still might fire for some reason.
LOL!

I would have sat in the pass seat! (I have an auto)

I read somewhere at one time that the simple act of disconnecting/reconnecting a power source can trigger airbag deployment.

The article said something about the wires/connectors for the air bag circuit and not anything as simple as the battery. It said air bags have some type of battery backup to trigger deployment if the triggered event severs the primary voltage source.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbz

Whoah brave man...

Thanks for the info. I thought it would have been a "unscrew then pop" procedure. I'll keep the link for future reference.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very original.

Nice job.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
lbz

Originally Posted by Mr.
How did you remove the gauge cluster bezel? I've been wondering how to do that for awhile.
To get the gauge cluster off you have to take out 4 screws from under the steering column. One of the screws is sort of hidden by the steering wheel height adjust lever.

take those 4 screws out and work the underside of the steering area cover off.

Then you will see there are 4 10mm bolts up in there. Take all 4 out.

You can now lift the cluster and unclip the signal cable from the back.

After that, pop the rear cover off, no screws holding it in.

From there I just carefully took the cluster casing halves (upper and lower) off and the bezel came right off, I had to give it a bit of a tug as there was a very small amount of adhesive.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the procedure, covers the lower console, upper console, gauge cluster and steering wheel. Once done I will post.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
alan86

nice work