Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi Shift Knob Thread :D

Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Rowlett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sconosciuto
Copper/brass is showing on the turtle or the actual **** surface itself?

Does anyone know for sure what this is made out of? I hear a few people saying copper or brass which really doesn't explain the cost. I imagine whatever it is, it's platted and not painted (at least I'd hope)?

I'm very confused and intrigued about a $200+ shift ****...I'm probably in for one!
It's showing on the Turtle... I'm curious to if there's a replacement that you could buy.. That would be great!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
mD2MHK

mines
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Rowlett

^^^^ I love the black on the dash, Paint?

and great photo..
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I gotz to get me a ball **** rubber shank, is that it, to finish it off. The zeetoyz i had was too small.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM
mD2MHK

Nah the dash is not painted, I wish! I just got armorall crazy. And yes, toilet assembly ball **** shank worked fine, could be better
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM
TomBomb1366

Just ordered one from Z1. I'm stoked!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Copper/brass is showing on the turtle or the actual **** surface itself?

Does anyone know for sure what this is made out of? I hear a few people saying copper or brass which really doesn't explain the cost. I imagine whatever it is, it's platted and not painted (at least I'd hope)?

I'm very confused and intrigued about a $200+ shift ****...I'm probably in for one!
You're paying for the name, nothing more. It probably costs them 20 bucks to make that ****.

Looks nice though, minus the turtle.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
mD2MHK

Originally Posted by illjim69
You're paying for the name, nothing more. It probably costs them 20 bucks to make that ****.

BLASPHEMY!

but really the turtle is my fav part
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
blazed54

I've had my TK **** for over a year and it is worth every cent. It greatly improves the driving experience. Shifts are shorter, ball shape is comfortable in my hand at all times, and the weight is the main advantage. The heavy weight makes every shift smoother and more solid. Not for everyone but those who own a TK shift know will agree with me that it makes shifting in the Z more enjoyable and that's what counts.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
illjim69

Originally Posted by blazed54
I've had my TK **** for over a year and it is worth every cent. It greatly improves the driving experience. Shifts are shorter, ball shape is comfortable in my hand at all times, and the weight is the main advantage. The heavy weight makes every shift smoother and more solid. Not for everyone but those who own a TK shift know will agree with me that it makes shifting in the Z more enjoyable and that's what counts.
How in the world does a shift **** make the throws/shifts shorter?

I agree that the weight helps, as I have a VERY weighted shift ****, but it didn't cost 250 bucks or even 100 bucks.

Face it, for the most part, shift ***** are a cosmetic part, plain and simple. People buy what they like, that is fine. But people who act like a TK **** somehow increases their car's performance or makes it elite are sadly mistaken.*

* - notice I did agree that it can enhance shift feel

edit - as for the turtle......well again, personal preference, however I think that if some car part company in Japan used a bright yellow fairy or purple ***** as their logo, a lot of you JDM fanboys would still flaunt them all day.

Last edited by illjim69; 10-18-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

How in the world does a shift **** make the throws/shifts shorter?

I agree that the weight helps, as I have a VERY weighted shift ****, but it didn't cost 250 bucks or even 100 bucks.

Face it, for the most part, shift ***** are a cosmetic part, plain and simple. People buy what they like, that is fine. But people who act like a TK **** somehow increases their car's performance or makes it elite are sadly mistaken.*

* - notice I did agree that it can enhance shift feel

edit - as for the turtle......well again, personal preference, however I think that if some car part company in Japan used a bright yellow fairy or purple ***** as their logo, a lot of you JDM fanboys would still flaunt them all day.
shifts are shorter and take less effort due to the TK **** being shorter and having extra weight. I had a team voodoo before the TK and it was awesome, but the feel of the TK is what makes it special. It is much more than a cosmetic part. IMHO it really enhances the driving experience. Having CF overlays doesn't do that
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Hydralisk

I did a before and after dyno with a TK shift ****. amazing, i had to uninstall the twin turbo so I could drive it on street tires.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 AM
illjim69

Originally Posted by Zivman
shifts are shorter and take less effort due to the TK **** being shorter and having extra weight. I had a team voodoo before the TK and it was awesome, but the feel of the TK is what makes it special. It is much more than a cosmetic part. IMHO it really enhances the driving experience. Having CF overlays doesn't do that
I got ya on the "less effort" part due to the weight, but the shifts won't be any shorter just because the **** is. If that were the case, people would just take their ***** off and not spend money on short shifters. Besides, how much taller is a stock **** versus the TK ****?

I understand what you mean as far as enhancing the experience, but it's still just a chunk of metal that costs next to nothing to make and people drop the cash based on the name, that is what people want: exclusivity since most people don't have that **** (for whatever reason).

Not trying to break your stones or anything, just pointing out that while a shift **** that feels good in your hand can help make the drive more enjoyable, it in no way aids in performance and only costs 200+ dollars because of the name stamped on it. A **** can be the exact same, minus the turtle and TK name and cost $50 and would do the same thing.

Originally Posted by Hydralisk
I did a before and after dyno with a TK shift ****. amazing, i had to uninstall the twin turbo so I could drive it on street tires.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I got ya on the "less effort" part due to the weight, but the shifts won't be any shorter just because the **** is. If that were the case, people would just take their ***** off and not spend money on short shifters. Besides, how much taller is a stock **** versus the TK ****?

I understand what you mean as far as enhancing the experience, but it's still just a chunk of metal that costs next to nothing to make and people drop the cash based on the name, that is what people want: exclusivity since most people don't have that **** (for whatever reason).

Not trying to break your stones or anything, just pointing out that while a shift **** that feels good in your hand can help make the drive more enjoyable, it in no way aids in performance and only costs 200+ dollars because of the name stamped on it. A **** can be the exact same, minus the turtle and TK name and cost $50 and would do the same thing.

The throw is shorter because the **** is shorter. Not saying the shift has some how magically shortened because of a ****. I would have to measure to be sure, but I think the TK is almost an inch shorter
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
sconosciuto

$50 shift **** with no turtle, pfffft! I hear just the turtle alone adds 75hp...
Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 AM
mD2MHK

Talking

$50 shift **** with no turtle, pfffft! I hear just the turtle alone adds 75hp...
i agree
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
The throw is shorter because the **** is shorter. Not saying the shift has some how magically shortened because of a ****. I would have to measure to be sure, but I think the TK is almost an inch shorter

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...aira-****.html

Originally Posted by drsifu
Posted this over on g35driver, figure you guys could use this info as well.

Stock:

Weight- 210.6 grams (confirmed)
Height- 3 5/8"
Price- FREE

Comment: Nice shift **** for the price. Provides what a stock shift **** should provide, stock feel with the stock look. It's been a long time since I've used the stock ****, but what I do remember is that because of it's height, the throws felt longer.

THX SS Shift ****:

Weight- 311.5 grams (confirmed)
Height- 3"
Price- $115

Comment: Very well designed ****. Nice weight and very ergonomic for small hands. I think if you have large hands, the shift **** may feel small. The base of the **** is a nice design feature that allows you to rest your hand on while shifting. The height and weight of the **** gives a crisp feel when moving into gears.

If you shift by grabbing it into your fist, than this would be a very ideal shift ****. If you shift using the palm of your hand on top of the ****, than there are other alternatives such as the Tommy Kaira Shift ****.

Another positive aspect of this shift **** is that you do not need any type of finisher as the shift **** sits flush on the shift boot.

Tommy Kaira "Hebi Bebi" Shift ****:

Weight- 515.6 grams (confirmed)
Height- 2.5"
Price- $225

Comment: The weight, and price, of this shift **** is legendary. Because of it's low height and heavy weight, this shift **** is ideal for those who shift with the palm of their hand. The curved neck does allow you to shift with a closed fist, but it is not as comfortable as compared to say the THX shift ****.

Shifting gears feels short and quick. Using the stock **** would feel like driving a big rig after using the TK ****.

One downside with this **** is that you would need a finisher to complete the look. After tightening down on my shift boot, there is still about a 1/4" gap between the **** and the boot. Home Depot has stuff you can use for as little as $3.00

Final comments:

It is hard to compare the THX **** with the TK **** as they provide a different feel. Depending on your driving style, you would have to select accordingly. Both are hands down better than the stock ****. Both the THX and the TK **** get hot in the sun, but so does the metal gear selector on top of the stock ****.

The THX shift **** is a great shift **** for its price. Hands down better than in other shift **** in its category, including the Nismo GT **** which I first owned.

It may be hard to justify $225 for a shift ****. There are other alternatives out there for those looking for a round shift ****, but you probably will not find the same weight in those ***** as you do in the Tommy Kaira.

"Hebi Bebi" means Heavy Baby in Japan, and it sure lives up to its name.

Hope this helps those trying to decide on an aftermarket shift ****.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same as everything. speically what we eat and wear everyday.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Kuhan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine today. What kind of finisher do you guys use or do we need one?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 AM
TomBomb1366

Hey guys, How long is the wait usually? I ordered one about two months ago and still no word yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi Shift Knob Thread :D