Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY Vinyl Wrapping

Saw this on another forum and thought it was dope. Check it out:

==========================

Source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442
Author: djaemac

I vinyl wrapped my car flat black. This was just a random project i decided to pull the trigger on.... I had no experience whatsoever on vinyling anything. I just watched a few vids on youtube and got some advice from friends who do vinyl stickers. Here's a few pics of the process and outcome...

Hate it, Love it...It was my first time... it took me 1 week and a day to complete....did a panel a day after work =)

oh, and for the record... I didn't pay over $3000 bucks that most people pay to vinyl their car....

I paid about $120 for all materials... and i did all the work myself, with some help from my fiance from time to time

=) enjoy

DIY!!!!

so this will be my little DIY since there's not really much to mention =)

THINGS YOU NEED:
Vinyl (about 25 yards give it take..also depending how much you mess up)... measurements for the vinyl i got were 25 yrds and 48 inches wide....

2 qts of application fluid for the vinyl

I used a felt squeegee so it wont scratch the surface of the vinyl.

I also used a heat gun from Harbor Freight... $10 FTW!!!!

1 XActo knife and scissors

AND LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!!!

I fully detailed the car prior to vinyling including:
- Full car wash, Clay bar'ed the car, and waxed just to be sure the car was flawless.

It is important to make sure there are no specs of dust, bugs, dirt, or anything that would affect the vinyl application onto the car...

Applying:

1. Start with the easiest parts first (for me, it was the roof, trunk, and hood)

2. Cut the vinyl to the size of the section you are going to start on and make sure you cut an oversized piece just in case for stretching the vinyl.

3. Spray the application fluid all over the area you are about to vinyl, and peel off the backing of the vinyl and apply it to the section.

4. Be sure you squeegee the vinyl slowly because if you're too rapid, that may cause creases and lots of air bubbles; this is where the heat gun comes into play. With creases, just lift the vinyl back up and heat the area which you creased, stretch the vinyl until there is no more crease and reapply the vinyl. ALWAYS SQUEEGEE FROM MIDDLE OUTWARD...

5. The vinyl may keep coming up at the edges, this is due to the application fluid. Let it dry and you may continue to squeegee the vinyl down.

Now for the curvy areas!!!!

This is where you may need some help from a person or two...

FOR THE BUMPERS:

1. do not use application fluid when vinyling the bumpers or the most curvy areas of the car. If you do, it will be a Bi*ch to apply it.

2. Use A LOT of stretch and heat for this application

3. Start middle outward; squeegee the middle area of the bumper on, and have someone pull on the vinyl away as you heat the vinyl and squeegee it down. Do NOT over heat or overstretch the vinyl as it may lose its flat black appearance.

FYI: There will be a lot of bubbles on the sections where you do not spray the application fluid. NO WORRIES! try to get the bubbles as small as possible, and when you're done, let the car sit out in the sun and the bubbles will magically disappear!! (with the help of a needle from time to time) =)

when starting this project, you'll learn more and more as you keep vinyling sections of your car.

I learned as i went, and you all will too! (if you decide to tackle this)

Try vinyling a piece a time. I vinyl'd a section a day because that took all my patience in a day..

In the end, you'll be satisfied. This is a pretty straightforward DIY, so if there's any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

damn looks easy enough.. hopefully it stands up over the years. a week of labor.. wouldn't want to do that too often.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Jesus bro, you wrapped the entire car!?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 PM
THH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the police are ever chasing you, it can always be peeled off like in the movie Johnny Dangerously.

Seriously, it looks good. Especially if that was your first shot at doing something like that. If I had tried that, my garage would just be full of crumpled pieces of vinyl and my swear jar would be full.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM
DB350

Originally Posted by THH
If the police are ever chasing you, it can always be peeled off like in the movie Johnny Dangerously.

Seriously, it looks good. Especially if that was your first shot at doing something like that. If I had tried that, my garage would just be full of crumpled pieces of vinyl and my swear jar would be full.
Or like in Taxi. Good ol' Queen LaQueefa
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM
robbinsj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work but honesty I think that should be reserved for the civic mod community. I think he took an amazing machine and down graded it to the MSRP of my 02 Si.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
adamciya350

^what are you talking about?? Sure..if he used black spray paint it would..but his car came out sick! I've seen more flat/matte luxury cars than anything else.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM
c0ld29

Originally Posted by robbinsj
nice work but honesty I think that should be reserved for the civic mod community. I think he took an amazing machine and down graded it to the MSRP of my 02 Si.
that looks awesome, and if he wanted he can easily remove it and his original paint is still there...

I've also seen so many flat black cars (like R8s, bentleys, lambos) and I don't think they are on the same level as your 02 civic.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 PM
glenns280

nice job look great
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
MODDEDZ

Sick... You def got some patience.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
z2g

Where can I order some of this vinyl? I want to do a matte blue
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM
c0ld29

http://flatblackcars.com/tag/flat-bl...continental-gt
http://flatblackcars.com/category/audi/r8
http://flatblackcars.com/category/lamborghini

all at the same site too, only took me 2 seconds in google, you should try it some time.

And before you say "Those could be painted" then yes, you are correct, but then they also wouldn't be able to remove the paint and show the original paint in no time, which is what my point was about the beamer.

Another example in case you think no one with an exotic would put "cheap crap" on their car, I figured I'd offer up the lambo from bullrun season 3, its got a vinyl digital camo job that looks sweet. but oh wait... its cheap crap it couldnt cost more than your 02 civic (brand new from the factory 9 years ago, does that make you feel better?)

Last edited by c0ld29; 04-29-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OH Gawd!... ... If your gonna talk about value... Look up your Z... I bet it's almost in the same range as your 02 si... As is mine and a lot others... Just STFU and quit trying to be the "COOL" guy.../

OP, the Beemer is fuggin nice!... If you can get in contact with the owner, please ask him where he got the vinyl from... Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
13ringinheat

(like R8s, bentleys, lambos) lmao, pls post pics of these cars with flat black vinyl jobs.

if not stfu, I said the MSRP and that is about 15 - 16k from the factory. about what that car would be worth to me on a used lot covered in cheap crap.
Well just in case you dont believe those pics here is a youtube video of a ferrari F430 getting a matte black vinyl work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LPfHk3gKo

I am on the fence about this vinyl thing myself but i can not deny that it looks cool if its done right. And if you think a vinyl covered ferrari is worth 15-16K then you are an idiot.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
kaspann

Last edited by kaspann; 04-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
kaspann

Matte black. Its the new ... black.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^^

man if your a DIY'er like I am...

that video was a tutorial on how to do any panel...

where can I get the materials...I'm on my phone...
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM
stevehl

WOW. just plain sick. I can't believe this was your first time doing vinyl work and it turned out gorgeous. I always wanted my car matte black, but the price is ridiculous. But for 120??? Ill have to do this in the summer :]

Btw, to the retard that compared the bimmer to his civic...fail
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM
stevehl

btw, i just realized the op didnt wrap the car, he found it from another forum. Does anyone know where I can find this kind of vinyl material? Good quality ones.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
robbinsj

amazed people would do that but guess its diff strokes for diff folks. Looks like crap in my opinion. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: DIY Vinyl Wrapping