Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of BumperFarm's Top Secret diffuser replica (pictures included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
black_03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks nice
Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Max@BumperFarm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chebosto
Here's a couple of my observations...

1. the aluminum brackets that come with it need serious work. They are of cheap aluminum, very thin, and the holes still had crazy burrs on it. i.e. rough finish. do yourself a favor and make your own using my measurements for the 'correct' fitment...Calin had some brackets made at a local machine shop that were of the same grade aluminum of the real brackets and they fit 10x better. plus more sturdy and it kept the leading edge of the diffuser rock solid after it was properly torqued down.

2. the diffuser body it self is pretty good for a replica.. mostly a single layer of CF ontop of several layers of FRP... just like the real one.. i put it up next to mine and the shape is pretty decent. the leading edge of the diffuser is slightly bent inward, this is due to their molding process that they used. it should be straight up, but instead it is bend inward (toward the exhaust) not too annoying but yet not the cleanest, may affect muffler clearance pedending on what exhaust you have.. Calin had Greddy Evo2 twin canisters and it fit fine. the main body is a dull finish, there is no clear coat. i would recommend a clear coat to 'protect' the finish.. and possibly prevent any yellowing. i dont know if they use an UV protectant inside the resin that was used.

3.vortex generators were slightly mis-shapen, i.e. they are not 100% symmetrical. Driver side was a little longer, slightly more fiberglass matting (i.e. heavier) that on the passenger side. mounting area where the three holes that attach to the main diffuser needed work, again this is due to the person making these things putting it out of the mold too fast as the mounting flange is slightly off, (and slightly thick with gelcoat/resin) you can't really tell unless it was off the car..

4. Z brackets are definitely not the best finish. they get the job done, it can't be seen, but when take it on/off as often as i do, a good fitting Z bracket is beneficial. i highly recommend getting this piece redone in a bent aluminum bracket to improve side to side rigidity and repeated install/de-install improvement. we had to do some serious pushing/pulling to get the mounting holes on the Z bracket and diffuser to line up correctly...

5. U bracket that is for mount the center of the diffuser is also not of the best finish. depending on where you place it on the rear bumper, it is SUPER difficult to get the mounting bolts through the holes. to get the nut to stay in place, i used some JBweld to hard mount the nut on the inside of the ubracket so that i could just concentrate on getting the bolt to mate up with it w/o having to hold the wrench in place.

6. hardware.. ditch the hardware that comes with it and get real Stainless steel bolts/nuts from mcmaster-carr or a legit hardware store.. the bolts that came with it were Zinc plated and were like 11mm or some off size. typical is m8 10mm head.. that is just my preference.. you can make due with what it came with. HOWEVER you will need two additional m8head lock nut or flange nuts to attach the aluminum brackets to the pre-existing studs that are on the car.. luckily i have a box full of misc hardware that i used.. the kit does not come with them, so you will need to get a pair to properly mount the brackets.

final thoughts: for $7xx, it offers an economical alternative. however installation would have been MUCH faster if the mounting solutions (Z,U, aluminum) brackets were made cleaner and to tighter specifications.. i.e. symmetrical.. it is obvious that who ever made the pieces were sloppy on the original mold. you will have to pre-mount these brackets as i'll be assuming each piece will be unique and mount differently for each instance.

All notes taken and corrections are being made as we speak. I have diagram from the brackets that were sent to the machine shop so those are being completed and the people in the GB should be getting the completed set. Will be making further adjustments along the way as well as we are still going through minor learning curves and these are getting better with every new piece popped out of the mold.

thank you for your compliments and also your honest opinions and constructive criticism as it all will help us to produce a more refined product to our 350z enthusiasts

Max

Last edited by Max@BumperFarm; 06-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max@BumperFarm
All notes taken and corrections are being made as we speak. I have diagram from the brackets that were sent to the machine shop so those are being completed and the people in the GB should be getting the completed set. Will be making further adjustments along the way as well as we are still going through minor learning curves and these are getting better with every new piece popped out of the mold.

thank you for your compliments and also your honest opinions and constructive criticism as it all will help us to produce a more refined product to our 350z enthusiasts

Max
that is what I like to see from vendors
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
NightRider88

Awesome! Looks Great!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
calin
Banned

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been slacking, I wasn't even aware they had a replica!!!!!!!! *reaches for credit card*
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would look 10x times better if you paint all the bolts black before installing it on. Look cleaner and better that way. Dont forget to clearcoat it so it won't rust. But you already installed them on so I'd suggest get a bottle of touchup paint and brush it on.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by *ICE*
it would look 10x times better if you paint all the bolts black before installing it on. Look cleaner and better that way. Dont forget to clearcoat it so it won't rust. But you already installed them on so I'd suggest get a bottle of touchup paint and brush it on.
Ya I'll be replacing all the bolts that show very soon
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Voboy

so why did you get the custom finish on the gt brace? XD
car looks complete now! like!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Twin50z

looks sick! love it!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
stinky350z

thanks for the write up calin
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
lay zzz

i cant find where bumperfarm's link or site anywhere to order that piece!! help please!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by lay zzz
i cant find where bumperfarm's link or site anywhere to order that piece!! help please!
Bumperfarm is banned from this forum for shady business. And they don't have a website. I don't think there any company currently makes a replica TS diffuser unless you're willing to buy the authentic one.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 AM
BoomerZ33

Originally Posted by lay zzz
like what Calin said you either have to pay top dollar for the authentic one or search relentlessly for a used one. that's what i did and i found a Mastergrade from a local guy.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM
tribal_visionz

Yes, Max is a scammer stay away! Might as well invest a couple more hundred for an authentic.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Mikecaruso

How much is this diffuser?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikecaruso
How much is this diffuser?
It's 5 years old, that's how much it is.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Mikecaruso

Originally Posted by SR71
It's 5 years old, that's how much it is.
so they just don't have this rep anymore???

Originally Posted by calin
Ya I'll be replacing all the bolts that show very soon
Can someone please show me where to get this from?

Originally Posted by calin
It's real

And it looks pretty good to me
Where can I get this diffuser?

Last edited by SR71; 01-09-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Guy in the back alley will give you one for a little a$$ and cash on top.

Quick Reply: My review of BumperFarm's Top Secret diffuser replica (pictures included)