Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect when you're expecting..(a built block): bmccann101's 650hp Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

yea ill be honest, the SMART move would have been some light 20s.. oh well, whaddya do.

BUT... it does look pretty major, and get some cool points, but Im sure ill be tired of it at some point and have a spare set of 20's chillin for performance purposes....and ill have a hell of alot of wheel well room at that point too.

We had to lift the front springs half an inch, and my tires raised me another inch.. so im up 1.5 in as it stands.. i need to get right back down where i was to look and feel right, so yeah... just needed my car back fer now, but we will redo the fender cut on the font AND the rear soon and put this bish back down 2 inches.

Drives fine, my 0-60 foot is more sluggish and braking was moderatley noticeable, but on the whole, its not too bad..
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Crazy build!

In for future updates
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

hows this for an update.. these things dont fit at all man.. these fit pics are of the car sitting on jacks i guess.. the fender liners had to gte cut out etc.. not good, my headlights have water in them now. Not fun.

Gotta try to talk w the shop to get this all reversed as soon as possible.. i screwed up, but i also didnt have all the info. Pete takes great care of me, Im sure it'll shake out fine.

Forgestar F14s in 20" and im done. No more. Hands off the car for awhile after this round. The rears look great but the front is as donk as it gets, and it still doesnt fit.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

bmccann
did you get the new box put in yet?
sorry if I missed the update on that
was thinking of getting new HU when I decide to do over my seats but then that box popped up and got me thinking to do a complete audio upgrade. just interested in a real user review on the box.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
SQBassHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro I honestly think you can make it fit of you get smaller front tires
If you really want to do it, don't give up!

Whatever you do, GL
Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

very nicely done
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marques1
Out of 500 people on the other thread that decided to bash the kid on his wheel selection. I think I was maybe one out of the two in the whole thread that said he could pull this off with his car. You can tell them this

Originally Posted by bmccann101
hows this for an update.. these things dont fit at all man.. these fit pics are of the car sitting on jacks i guess.. the fender liners had to gte cut out etc.. not good, my headlights have water in them now. Not fun.

Gotta try to talk w the shop to get this all reversed as soon as possible.. i screwed up, but i also didnt have all the info. Pete takes great care of me, Im sure it'll shake out fine.

Forgestar F14s in 20" and im done. No more. Hands off the car for awhile after this round. The rears look great but the front is as donk as it gets, and it still doesnt fit.

22s are just too much.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 04-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

22s I think are too much as well. Stay with the 20s at most imo.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

nah it drives horribly. And the smallest tire i can find is only .5 inch shorter... im paying major duckets for this set up and they are sued wheels.. if it was a one n done and outcome major? yea fer sure.. but it totally ruined ( i ruined, not IMR) my car.

Luckily I got w Pete and we can undo this to some degree.. my VS and OEM fenders are already chewed, but its fine.
Im gonna roll my Axis wheels again until a set of properly offset ( and a correct rolling diameter) set of Forgestar F14s in gunmetal ... looking at 6 weeks, theres goes the summer again. Oh well.

FML, this was one terrible weekend for sure. Stomach in knots the whole time, i knew these were a bad idea.

All is well, theres a solution in hand, Pete and Han are reputable, and my car will have nice fast light wheels and actually be lighter than the stock 17s wheel n tire combo.

Time to yank my sig picture.....
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck with your new setup. Make sure the wheels are really aggressive to match that kit of yours though.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Thanks man.
Forgestar f14.. 20x9 and 20x12. Rears are under 25 lbs. Should b nice.

Color? Gunmetal, piano black..gold..bronze..one of the above..dunno..
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

thanks Pete, Intense always makes it happen.

Good lord my car drives SOOOO much nicer w the Axis 20s on it.. haha.

Forgestar F14s in 20x9.5 semi concave and 20x12 deep concave.. bronze burst..

ORDERED.

5 weeks out, should have em right after I get back from my alaska trip.. BANG
Old 05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

updates:
still havent installed the UTEC or nitrous, but I just got my TWM short shifter fiasco handled, added a TWM resin hybrid M1 abrams ****.. and just flashed the ECU w a COBB AP i bought from 1slowz...ran stage 2 plus map, advanced timing 2 degrees, removed speed limiter, increased rev limiter by 500 .... and now datalogging shows smooth AFR at 12.5-13.

The unlinear feel of doing all the breathing mods on a stock ecu tune is GONE.. the car doesnt feel full of different parts anymore.. its really a great little tool. it picks up0 right away and feels faster, smoother, and it did change the sound a touch as well.

The supercharger like surge of test pipes at 4k is gone.. its smooth all the way from idle now, and the butt dyno torque increase is highly noticeable. I doubt i gained a ton of hp, but the way it feels is very very very different.
I lost a MPG but again, very worth it.

Just wanted to add my experience w it so far.

Just a few more weeks for my wheels to be in...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Default updates

updates.. pulled the headliner and dash for black suede.

Will re-install headliner tongiht w pictures.. dropped off sunvisors to be professionally done.

Added my ATI gauge pods w wb afr and nitrous pressure, made a cut out for the defi VSD Basis heads up speedo... ( lots of cutting, sanding, gluing, and a heat gun to melt and slightly bend back the dash vent located underneath it.

Was a major PITA but was worth it, especuially because its such a CHEAP mod if you can do it yourself.

Last edited by bmccann101; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the work so far, and have some questions for you:

1. What shot nitrous? You went 2 step colder plugs and not 1 why? You upgraded fuel system for a wet kit (i assume) why? Only thing i can gather is your running a large shot. (Im new to nitrous, but im reading/learning now all i can before pulling the trigger)

2. What c/f dash kit is that?

3. Did you suede dash yourself? Difficulty level 0-10? (minus breaking down the dash)

4. Get intense to send me my metal Veilside logos that go on back of my Veilside reclineable seats, lol. They never sent them.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 05-26-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Default NP..

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Love the work so far, and have some questions for you:

1. What shot nitrous? You went 2 step colder plugs and not 1 why?
Safety. Reccomended by IMR... they know im the guy whod rather have safer than a few extra hp or mpg.
You upgraded fuel system for a wet kit (i assume) why? Not yet, nos has not been installed yet, just the gauges and interior work so far.But yes, you will want a Walboro 255 pump installed beforehand, and yes, you want a wet system for sure. COntroll it with a UTEC.
Only thing i can gather is your running a large shot. (Im new to nitrous, but im reading/learning now all i can before pulling the trigger)
Will be 100 hp shot, yes.

2. What c/f dash kit is that?
Evo-r ..w a ton of buffing, gap filing, edge smoothing etc... did NOT fit well when i received them.
probably a good 20 hours into those pieces, luckily it can be done inside while youre watching tv.

3. Did you suede dash yourself? Yes.
Difficulty level 0-10? (minus breaking down the dash)
Difficulty is fairly low, but frustration level will be a 20 if you have never upholstered things before.. ive experimented on my own cars for, well ( jesus im getting old) 15 years or so. Suburbans, Z32 etc. KNowing how to tuck edges, keep bulk down behind panels makes a huge difference in the final product, keep glue from getting everywhere and not soaking thru your fabric... etc.
I would NOT reccomend this for anyone who does not know what they are doing.. it will ruin the look of your car if its not done tightly.. took me a long time to pull the trigger myself... headliner turned out great tho.. cant wait to get it in.

4. See if intense has any metal Veilside logos that go on back of my Veilside VSD-1 reclineable seats, lol. Never got them from Intense.

Eesh, good luck w that... Veilside ran away. They closed down VS USA in Cali, so if you get ahold of JP USA, they can still sell you some, but you'll need to send an invoice, pictures of your items etc before they will send em.. but they ship quick... got my rock emblems for 120 ea.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
GeauxLadyZ

1. Ah, ok. The way i understood it from what i read was that a fuel system upgrade was not needed with a 75-100 shot wet kit due to extra fuel being injected with the nitrous at the intake via the fuel tap (thus no reason to send in more fuel via fuel system) and that the stock pump could handle the extra load from some fuel being re-routed to the intake with the shot. 75-100 was ok but over 100 and you begin to max the pump.

I read the praise on Utec with nitrous systems (built in window switch/TPS/etc), but i think im just going to run window switches/TPS included with the Zex (or dynotune) and add a fuel pressure switch (if not included with Zex) tune with Uprev. (even though no need to really retard timing with 75-100 shot)

2. Ya heard that for years now, didnt want you to say it was Evo-R

3. Thank you very much, ill send the work out instead of attempting myself

4. Ya i knew about VS shutting down US operations (got my seats literally weeks before they shut down, big thanks to Intense for delivering under circumstances!) JP USA took over VS US operations?

Keep up the good work homie, unique is good in this case. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 05-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

thanks i appreacite it.. its over the top, and i love the look of a stock body hellaflush w a bumpertuck anda lip kit.. but yeah, ive always had outlandish cars.. always wanted a widebody... and the VS fenders were jsut the coolest to me at the time.

I think youl be fine w that kind of set up, but intense is like 5 miles from my office, so i go there on lunch etc.. throwing a Walboro pump in would be safe and super convenienet for me...
Yes JP Usa handles VS now.. and I got Pete at Intense hooked back up with JP contact info, appear to ahve become a vendor last month.. JP stuff is up on thier website now, so Im sure he can get you those SS squares too.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by bmccann101
thanks i appreacite it.. its over the top, and i love the look of a stock body hellaflush w a bumpertuck anda lip kit.. but yeah, ive always had outlandish cars.. always wanted a widebody... and the VS fenders were jsut the coolest to me at the time.
Na, i hear ya believe me. I am in a somewhat similar boat with my HUGE vinyl (although not as overall unique as your entire setup). My sponsors designed it and at first i was like 'meh', but it has grown on me. (see attached as to not clutter your build thread with big pics of other cars) In a time when clean and simple is the look, its hard to pull off stuff like that. I get the same "I usually hate vinyl, but yours looks great" type comments.

I will def look into getting those emblems, thanks bro!
Attached Thumbnails What to expect when you're expecting..(a built block): bmccann101's 650hp Z-pz60-1.jpg   What to expect when you're expecting..(a built block): bmccann101's 650hp Z-pz60-2.jpg  

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 05-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

ditched the over the top APR GTC300 wing (13" high was just too much for my daily driver.. ppl are gna look at me crazy haha)..
ordered the Fairly rare Elia tuning ( Germany) WRX wing for the car.. 5 weeks out.

price was very reasonable, less than a Wald wing or Esprit by far.

Should look cool in flat black w the similar roof wing already installed.

Wheels will be here hopefully by next Monday.

Last edited by bmccann101; 06-01-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: What to expect when you're expecting..(a built block): bmccann101's 650hp Z