Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackout Emblems, any pic's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 PM
shakalaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^that's what I would like to know as well. I masked the area around my emblem tonight gonna use plastidip tomo so would like to know.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i finished the front. It looks good but i don't know if i should remove the plastidip in the center parts.
YAY or NAY?
Attached Thumbnails Blackout Emblems, any pic's?-img_0609.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
shakalaka

I would remove it. I mean you're only supposed to do the emblem right and that part is the paint.

But my question is how would we remove it? Cause when I do mine tomo it's gonna be exactly the same for me as well. What's the best way of removing the plasticdip from there?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM
JDMStanced

it kinda looks good with the center parts not removed lol still debating.
just get a stick and scratch it off b carefull not to scratch the paint
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM
shakalaka

I am actually just waiting for mine to dry as well. Did two coats, going to do another and then we'll see. I would think that center parts removed would look better but to each their own. Although it is a lot easier to just leave the center parts. haha
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
JDMStanced

ehh i just removed it. front is so much easiler than the rear.
I'm now debating if i should do the door handles..i feel like i'm becoming a ricer lol
Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM
shakalaka

I was thinking of leaving like you did, but I think from far on our silver cars especially it'll look like a black blob! So prolly good you removed it, I will too. How exactly you did you remove it, cause I am really worried about that part? Don't want to ruin the paint on the emblems while removing them.

Haha plastidip stuff is addicting!

I even masked my door handles but I don't think I am going to do them for the same reason you said. lol

Plus they seem to much harder, I mean if we just do the outside from the side you can see silver inside you know? Unless you try to spray inside or something too? But i think it might look weird with just black on the side with you being able to see the silver under them from the side.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
JDMStanced

post #44. lol
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
BeamerGuy

Originally Posted by XDylanXtm
Yea im actually having problems with the "350z" emblem. The edges won't come out clean. Everything else was perfect, just this last emblem is giving me problems. Any tips? The plasti dip should just be coming off smooth and in tact, but instead its leaving little pieces around the edges which leaves me to pick them away, unfortunately some spots will pick away some of the plasti dip on the actual emblem. Resulting hid bulbs in a re-do. What did everyone use to pick away at the edges?
I've never had to do this but with just using my two sense I was thinking a chizzle and hammer? lol.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
SmokersMagee

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
ehh i just removed it. front is so much easiler than the rear.
I'm now debating if i should do the door handles..i feel like i'm becoming a ricer lol

Yeah i'm debating this too. Plasti dip plus clear bra. I don't know. Seems like color match paint and clearcoat is probably a better option - for me at least. I have to replace my driver side handle due to bubbling anyway.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
JDMStanced

Post pics guyz
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plastidip looks like it has too flat of a finish from the pics, I think I'm just staying with my gloss black rattle can LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
shakalaka

I messed mine up. When removing the masking area, it kept pulling stuff from the emblem as well. I tried to be careful but then it kept pulling it anyway and showing silver underneath it, I got pissed off and ripped it all up. Then it took me ages trying to get all the paint **** off from the edges and corners and it's still not completely off.

Which brings me to the questions, is it possible to remove the badges, front and back and then use the plastidip to paint them, let them dry and then put them back up? That would be much cleaner wouldn't it? If so can someone show me some instructions as to how to remove the rear nissan badge and front and then put them back up?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by shakalaka
I messed mine up. When removing the masking area, it kept pulling stuff from the emblem as well. I tried to be careful but then it kept pulling it anyway and showing silver underneath it, I got pissed off and ripped it all up. Then it took me ages trying to get all the paint **** off from the edges and corners and it's still not completely off.

Which brings me to the questions, is it possible to remove the badges, front and back and then use the plastidip to paint them, let them dry and then put them back up? That would be much cleaner wouldn't it? If so can someone show me some instructions as to how to remove the rear nissan badge and front and then put them back up?
Yes the Nissan emblems are easy to remove but the 350Z emblem is a PIA
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
shakalaka

I have my 350Z part debadged. So only the front and back Nissan emblem is what I need to black out. How can I remove them? And more importantly, after removing them and plastidipping them how can I put them back on? What kind of glue and stuff would I need?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

I have my 350Z part debadged. So only the front and back Nissan emblem is what I need to black out. How can I remove them? And more importantly, after removing them and plastidipping them how can I put them back on? What kind of glue and stuff would I need?
Yes you can remove them with some fishing line and a hair dryer.

3M makes an emblem/molding double-sided tape that works well.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
shakalaka

Where can I buy that 3M stuff? Removing is easy I can just use goo gone and a fishing line. I did that the first time when I debadged the 350Z part. But I need the tape that I can use to re-attch the emblem. Would that be available from Canadian Tire or something? What exactly is it called? I can search online.

Also doesnt the real emblem has holes or something ender it? Or is it the front one? I remember reading back then that it did. Can it still work with that?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Where can I buy that 3M stuff? Removing is easy I can just use goo gone and a fishing line. I did that the first time when I debadged the 350Z part. But I need the tape that I can use to re-attch the emblem. Would that be available from Canadian Tire or something? What exactly is it called? I can search online.

Also doesnt the real emblem has holes or something ender it? Or is it the front one? I remember reading back then that it did. Can it still work with that?
Front has no holes, back has holes.

You can order the tape through ebay or amazon or call a local bodyshop.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
shakalaka

So the back with holes, is it still stuck on with the glue or are there screws or something that are screwed into the holes? Why would they put holes if they were just using that glue tape anyway?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
shakalaka

Would any of these tape work to put the emblem back on?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/..._2sided_5_8x36

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/...ting_19mmx1_5m

I think the last one seems like the best option?

Or if not can you show me the link of what tape you're talking about? I can just order it online then.

Last edited by shakalaka; 11-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Blackout Emblems, any pic's?