Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hook Placement Help!!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Is the 'tow' sticker a track or ricer requirement?
most HPDEs that i know of you either need to have a marked location for the tow hook, or your hook needs to be visibly distinguishable.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Dan Garcia
Professional

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

you need to have a mounting bracket made, no need to cut your bumper.
I have one also but haven't gotten around to making the bracket yet, it shouldn't be too hard to do, just need the time and need to purchase one foot of aluminum I bean of a good size gage for sturdiness. something to do over the winter months I guess.
I will post pics when I'm done.

Last edited by Dan Garcia; 11-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I really wanted it to come out from behind the license plate so that it doesn't look like I'm driving with my tongue sticking out, this was still a good option.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by scotts300
Although I really wanted it to come out from behind the license plate so that it doesn't look like I'm driving with my tongue sticking out, this was still a good option.

you should put a pair of eyes on the rear bumper right above it so it looks like its blowing a raspberry at your competitors.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Scott, how is that mounted? I do HPDE and would like to have a rear tow point. Ideally I'd like to be able to remove it for driving to work etc..........I don't mind being mistaken for a HPDE weekend warrior but I do not want to be mistaken for a ricer.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Marrocco350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went simple and used the one in the tookit that comes with the car

Name:  IMG_20130316_164639_zpsa1a425a1.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20130316_165339_zpsbcc73cb4.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  137.1 KB

Screws right into the metal bumper.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM
N80

I use the stock one up front. It is the rear one that is the issue. I've never needed a tow but most of the events I've been to say the tow crew will try to find a proper tow point but if they can't find one quickly the hook on to whatever they can find....and that won't always be good...... cosmetically.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
you should put a pair of eyes on the rear bumper right above it so it looks like its blowing a raspberry at your competitors.
Haha! I may have to do that!

Originally Posted by N80
Scott, how is that mounted? I do HPDE and would like to have a rear tow point. Ideally I'd like to be able to remove it for driving to work etc..........I don't mind being mistaken for a HPDE weekend warrior but I do not want to be mistaken for a ricer.
It's strapped around the bumper brace and reenforced. I'll take a pic when I have the bumper off again. If it came out the license plate through a hole, it could be covered back up with the plate after the event. That's how it'll be on my next car.

If you don't have the NISMO rear, there is a factory tow hook in the back behind the driver's rear wheel, but it would rip off the NISMO bumper if used (maybe even a stock bumper, though I wonder why nissan put it there in the first place then).
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
N80

Originally Posted by scotts300
If you don't have the NISMO rear, there is a factory tow hook in the back behind the driver's rear wheel, but it would rip off the NISMO bumper if used (maybe even a stock bumper, though I wonder why nissan put it there in the first place then).
I think it is there purely for transport on ships and/or car carrier with the chain or strap running straight down.

It would definitely pull even the stock bumper upward if a tow strap was hooked to it.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 AM
alby13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureRush
I just got a Benen Ind tow hook and I have no idea what to bolt it to. My friend just gave it to me so I might as well put it to use. I heard they dont make these anymore, so sweet! I want it mounted horizontal not vertical but yeah here are some pics of it, give me some suggestions.

be a hero and show us how you solve the mounting problem
Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In for potential lulz when I'm off work!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

here are some old picts of my tow strap install.

(you can see it pop up right above my rear diffuser)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Dan Garcia
Professional

Default i-beam and flat bar plates

Originally Posted by Dan Garcia
you need to have a mounting bracket made, no need to cut your bumper.
I have one also but haven't gotten around to making the bracket yet, it shouldn't be too hard to do, just need the time and need to purchase one foot of aluminum I bean of a good size gage for sturdiness. something to do over the winter months I guess.
I will post pics when I'm done.

found these on e-bay, they should arrive by the end of the week.
I will post pics as soon as progress is made.

I Beam 6061 T6 Aluminum 5" x .494" x 3.284" x 12"-Long

4 Pieces 1/4" X 4" ALUMINUM 6061 T6511 FLAT BAR 4" long .250" Plate Mill Stock
Attached Thumbnails Tow Hook Placement Help!!-b5-swb2k-kgrhqj-hqeyr1imetzbmtgv-v-tw-_3.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-t2ec16jhjg8fgrp1whu2br6u7zc2fq-60_3.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM
altimav8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i exclusively track my Z. I need a rear tow hook just in case. any body got picks of what they did?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by altimav8
i exclusively track my Z. I need a rear tow hook just in case. any body got picks of what they did?
guess you missed the post two below yours
Old 08-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Dan Garcia
Professional

Originally Posted by Dan Garcia
found these on e-bay, they should arrive by the end of the week.
I will post pics as soon as progress is made.

I Beam 6061 T6 Aluminum 5" x .494" x 3.284" x 12"-Long

4 Pieces 1/4" X 4" ALUMINUM 6061 T6511 FLAT BAR 4" long .250" Plate Mill Stock

The top plate measurements are 5 3/4

This is for the front tow hook placement.

More pics to follow tomorrow

next cut is removing the top portion of the flat plate as marked, do not discard this piece because you will need it for use on top of the crush bar. I also cut off the bottom, I have it marked as 3 1/2 but actually cut it at 3 3/8. this bottom section was cut off only for ease of fitment for there is a diagonal cut required that'll eliminate this long cut.

From a different angle

Another pic

Results of second and third cuts

The mounting bracket is starting to take shape

Different angle

Marking for the fourth cut, the angle may vary depending on the type of front bumper that you have.

Results of the fourth cut.

Next is a notch / window cut that will allow the bracket to move closer to the inside edge of the bumper, this may not be necessary if you don't want it too close to the inside edge. I wanted mine as close as possible.

Different angle, cut dimensions are on the plate. This is on the right hand side of the top of the bracket, the cut is also necessary to clear the mount bracket the crush bar.

The sixth cut is marked on the plate and also necessary for the same reasons of the fifth cut. There's a bumper mounting bracket bolt back there that makes contact with the tow hook bracket.

Different angle of the sixth cut on the tow hook mounting bracket.

Holes for mounting the tow hook on the bracket and made some marking for the cuts to follow.

A quick test fit pic.

This is what the mounting bracket looked like at the final stage

Different view

Different view # 2

Final look for fitment before install

First pic on how it will look mounted in place

Different view from a bit farther out

tow hook install

From farther out.

I still need to fabricate the top mounting plate which goes on top of the crush bar, Which will secure the mounting bracket in place, but for this I will need to remove the bumper, there is not enough room to do any measuremts for the holes that I need to drill which will directly align to the top of mounting bracket.
All measurements were done for the Nismo style V3 front bumper which were somewhat restrictive because of the design. The standard 350Z bumper should give you a lot more room to play with. lots of cutting and filing but not too hard of a task, hope this helps some of you out if you are wanting a front tow hook installed.

On a side note, if you opt for the horizontal install, then your hook will have a dual purpose; I've seen some people use it as a cup holder

And now that there is a tow hook on the side, now I can use the OEM tow hook receiver for the Stillen license plate bracket to mount the license plate and discard the OEM plastic license plate bracket. And not have to worry about having to remove it if there is ever a need for a good old fashion towing.
Attached Thumbnails Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg  

Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg  

Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg   Tow Hook Placement Help!!-image.jpg  

Last edited by SR71; 08-09-2015 at 06:54 PM.