Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions

Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
conkuer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions

What are every ones solutions to the rear strut bar cover "z" badge solutions to when the metal coating starts coming off? is there somewhere that sells just the z emblem or do you have to buy the whole cover?
I thought I would take the opportunity and make something cool with it instead of buying a new one. I bought a used one that looked in ok shape, but when I got it it had the same problem, so I painted the cover it self the same color as the car when I was painting some pieces on the car and cut out the z part of it where the emblem goes. Then i cut out a piece of plexi glass in the shape of the emblem so it would fit in the hole i cut in the cover it self. Then I sandblasted the plexi glass to give it that mat look and to disperse the light I put behind it better. I bought some small led strips and put them under the cover where the plexi glass z is and wired in to the hatch light, so it glows red every time you open the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-1.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-2.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-3.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-4.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-5.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 AM
TPete19

I don't like LED's, but that's just a personal preference. I think it would look a little better if you hid the LED's under the solid portion so the Z would glow evenly instead of seeing the bright spots.

Below is a pic of what I did with mine. I covered it with micro-suede and the fabric laid down into the 'Z' to give it a a subtle, embossed look. The suede w/ orange stitch matches my center armrest door, shift boot and cubby door. The other benefit of the black suede is less glare in the back window compared to the OEM silver panel.

Last edited by TPete19; 12-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM
jmahad01

^ nice solution. There are enough z's elsewhere on the car anyway...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
conkuer

Originally Posted by TPete19
I don't like LED's, but that's just a personal preference. I think it would look a little better if you hid the LED's under the solid portion so the Z would glow evenly instead of seeing the bright spots.

Below is a pic of what I did with mine. I covered it with micro-suede and the fabric laid down into the 'Z' to give it a a subtle, embossed look. The suede w/ orange stitch matches my center armrest door, shift boot and cubby door. The other benefit of the black suede is less glare in the back window compared to the OEM silver panel.

pretty nice! the leds are actually under the panel it self and shine trough plexi glass, they are not that distinct in person vs pictures, it more of a uniform red, i sand blasted the plexiglass to try to disperse the light, but you can still see the individual leds to an extent, I agree it does bother me some. But if I move them further apart the z logo appears a very lite red, almost pink.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

TPets bar is sick. i was about to do mine in suede too.. and i am not a fan of having a SINGLE z logo on the car. I did however fill in my square dents on the bar before doing the dinoc when i was bored. the stitch is dope too.

Id do the std real carbon cover, but no one will make it for me without the z cut into it.. whic is lame.
i just feel like adding more Z logos is like putting a windsheild sticker of the name of the car on the car..
like CAMARO or TRACKER.. eesh.

but props for the DIY spirit for sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
conkuer

Originally Posted by bmccann101
TPets bar is sick. i was about to do mine in suede too.. and i am not a fan of having a SINGLE z logo on the car. I did however fill in my square dents on the bar before doing the dinoc when i was bored. the stitch is dope too.

Id do the std real carbon cover, but no one will make it for me without the z cut into it.. whic is lame.
i just feel like adding more Z logos is like putting a windsheild sticker of the name of the car on the car..
like CAMARO or TRACKER.. eesh.

but props for the DIY spirit for sure.
thanks lol, z badging is a bit excessive on the car I guess Ill agree with that. thought about filling in the badges on the fenders.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Loving the suede TPete.

You could always Plasti-dip them black as well
Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

ah the sweet irony. ^^^^^^
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
TPete19

Originally Posted by bmccann101
TPets bar is sick.
Originally Posted by Waizzz
Loving the suede TPete.
Thanks guys!

And I am about to get started into learning to wrap and fabricate in real CF. Once I get the hang of I'd do a smooth bar cover for you.

Originally Posted by Waizzz
You could always Plasti-dip them black as well
Oh no you didn't!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by conkuer
What are every ones solutions to the rear strut bar cover "z" badge solutions to when the metal coating starts coming off? is there somewhere that sells just the z emblem or do you have to buy the whole cover?
I thought I would take the opportunity and make something cool with it instead of buying a new one. I bought a used one that looked in ok shape, but when I got it it had the same problem, so I painted the cover it self the same color as the car when I was painting some pieces on the car and cut out the z part of it where the emblem goes. Then i cut out a piece of plexi glass in the shape of the emblem so it would fit in the hole i cut in the cover it self. Then I sandblasted the plexi glass to give it that mat look and to disperse the light I put behind it better. I bought some small led strips and put them under the cover where the plexi glass z is and wired in to the hatch light, so it glows red every time you open the hatch.

Don't like the leds...glows red when you open the hatch??
I guess your preferance.I hate the "silver" used on the strut bar and in other areas of the interior(steering wheel etc.)I've pretty much eliminated with CF.
Have a CF strut bar cover.I've left the Z in stock chrome form...have thought
of doing it in hyper-black to tone it down some.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
conkuer

thought about CF, hard to find good looking CF interior for a reasonable cost for interior in my exp. I agree that the original color on the cover does not look good, painted it silver(same exact paint as the car) to match the color of the car, I have how ever considered doing the middle console in CF because the previous owner of the car scratched it some places like the compartment door above the radio, since it is coated with the rubbery stuff, dont know a good way to strip that coating to just paint it back flat black.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Zach1123

My emblem held strong with 8 years, but finally fell victim to this same issue. When I stripped the emblem it broke into 5 pieces due to the brittle plastic. After some super glue, primer, sanding, and paint this is what I came out with. In the process I also painted the cover, and my shifter bezel because both had several blemishes. I used the factory silver from the 370s and went with Sikkens ABP and Autoclear III for the BC/CC.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-img_0348.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-img_0352.jpg   Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions-img_0349.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
conkuer

Originally Posted by Zach1123
My emblem held strong with 8 years, but finally fell victim to this same issue. When I stripped the emblem it broke into 5 pieces due to the brittle plastic. After some super glue, primer, sanding, and paint this is what I came out with. In the process I also painted the cover, and my shifter bezel because both had several blemishes. I used the factory silver from the 370s and went with Sikkens ABP and Autoclear III for the BC/CC.
looks nice, cant tell that the z was broken at all.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Donati06Z

Originally Posted by conkuer
thought about CF, hard to find good looking CF interior for a reasonable cost for interior in my exp. I agree that the original color on the cover does not look good, painted it silver(same exact paint as the car) to match the color of the car, I have how ever considered doing the middle console in CF because the previous owner of the car scratched it some places like the compartment door above the radio, since it is coated with the rubbery stuff, dont know a good way to strip that coating to just paint it back flat black.
mine will be hydro dipped in carbon in about a week.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
conkuer

Originally Posted by Donati06Z
mine will be hydro dipped in carbon in about a week.
whats the cost on that?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Donati06Z

well i work there so its free for me

we price everything per inch id guess 50-75 bucks if i measured.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
conkuer

Originally Posted by Donati06Z
well i work there so its free for me

we price everything per inch id guess 50-75 bucks if i measured.
damn, I wish you were doing it sooner so I can see it before I buy the other stuff if i do lol.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM
samano1616

Originally Posted by Zach1123
yeah but u got rid of the three squares in the Z which are only on the 350Z
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
NJVinny350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't my car but I saved this pic to my pc when another member did it. I think it turned out nice.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't have a pic, but my emblem has been holding strong for 5 years now... I just plasti-dipped it though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Strut Brace Bar Cover "Z" Badge Solutions