Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wiper switch for other use after wiper delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear wiper switch for other use after wiper delete

I will be performing the wiper delete this winter and I was just thinking of ideas that could possibly make use of the rear wiper switch. I figured why just have a switch sit there when it could be used.

Any ideas on what to use the rear wiper switch for once the motor and wiper are uninstalled? (e.g. led lights in the trunk) Not sure if it would be feasible.

I didn't find anything through the search option. Any reasonable opinions are welcomed. Some may like the idea of using the switch, some may not.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 AM
cgkp0925

Default sorry

I will move this to the tech forum thread.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
TPete19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for missile launchers!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

use it for anything you want. You need a digital multi meter to test if it is negative trigger or positive, positive i would assume. the only use i could envision is opening a nitrous bottle. But its a switch, the possibility is limitless.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
AngelsVQ

Wire it to shock an unsuspecting passenger at the flick of the wrist
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
cgkp0925

If I was James Bond or XXX, then yes I would go that extreme.

bmccann101, you say negative or positive trigger. Not sure what this relates to. I don't have an extensive electrical background. Do you mind explaining? I see you post quite a bit and seem to have an extensive background on the Z.

I do have a digital multimeter so that's a start. Would a simple hook up of LED lights be a simple task? Would resistors be involved?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-A...item27b88181f7

Could something like this be used? What would you recommend for LED light strips?

Last edited by cgkp0925; 09-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
defcon83

Yea, you can maybe put some kind of strobe light, i dont know if you do any racing but you can throw the light once you win the race.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice thread!

Ideas ideas

I wanted to use it for a fog light! By using the 3rd brake light we have!

That's my great idea. I have the flasher and parts to do it but I'm no electrician
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a cam-operated switch in the rear wiper motor that signals the BCM to keep the power on until the blade is parked.

That's going to complicate using the switch for any other purpose. You'll have to turn off the wiper switch on the stalk and also trick the BCM into thinking the blade is parked. Otherwise it'll keep power on the circuit.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
There's a cam-operated switch in the rear wiper motor that signals the BCM to keep the power on until the blade is parked.

That's going to complicate using the switch for any other purpose. You'll have to turn off the wiper switch on the stalk and also trick the BCM into thinking the blade is parked. Otherwise it'll keep power on the circuit.
That said I think you are better off leaving it alone. Good thought though
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Ah...see things like that I would never have known.

Can anyone chime in how to make the 3rd brake light a flasher. There is a thread on the 370z . com about it. Wanted to know if the same idead can be put towards our third brake light?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
cgkp0925

Like bmccann101 said, it seems like the possibilities are limitless.

I thought this would be my best option to keep an OEM switch functional instead of placing an odd looking switch in one of the blank covers. I thought about getting a switch like the heated seat or gas tank cover (OEM look again) to place in the blank.

I found these but not sure how functional they could be for LED lights, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item588da175f8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item25583cb8c0
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Judging by this logic, if he is doing the wiper delete then the motor/switch would be disconnected...and completely out of the car

If you just start probing around at the harness you should be able to isolate the signal wire (positive, or ground switch) and just wire up your fancy lights or whatever you want...if its integrated PRE wipermotor in the loom (doubtful) then just bypass and probe the wires leading to that...

problem solved...

Last edited by Junkster; 09-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM
cgkp0925

Just like KingBaby, I would've had no clue about that.

Please clarify what BCM stands for. Is it something that could be bypassed, or would it be a waste of my time?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by bmccann101
the only use i could envision is opening a nitrous bottle..
Thats a kickASS idea btw
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
cgkp0925

Originally Posted by Junkster
Judging by this logic, if he is doing the wiper delete then the motor/switch would be disconnected...

If you just start probing around at the harness you should be able to isolate the signal wire (positive, or ground switch) and just wire up your fancy lights or whatever you want...if its integrated PRE wipermotor in the loom (doubtful) then just bypass and probe the wires leading to that...

problem solved...
Just to clarify, I am not using the wiper motor. That would be gone. I figured I could just use the existing wiring to hook up lights. Then a simple (I think) flick of the switch would turn the lights on/off.

I do appreciate the feedback guys.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by cgkp0925
Just to clarify, I am not using the wiper motor. That would be gone. I figured I could just use the existing wiring to hook up lights. Then a simple (I think) flick of the switch would turn the lights on/off.

I do appreciate the feedback guys.
Im 99% sure but then again i would have to take a look at it myself...i have yet to do a wiper delete though so dont quote me on this...

Only other thing (if not some sort of gear type switch) is if its based on resistance and there is some switch in the wiring before the wiper motor (hightly doubtful)

Regardless just bypass eather one...and look for the positive or negative lead so you can wire said accessory...
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Junkster

To be honest you should be able to follow the loom and visually check for any box or switch or something...and also if you probe and follow the lead thats coming from the switch and its giving 12v out once the switch is put "On" then you kinda already know there is nothing to "bypass" anymore since the 12v is constant it will provide constant power all the time...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
cgkp0925

Thanks Junkster!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The BCM is the Body Control Module. The wiper switch on the stalk sends a signal to the BCM, and the microprocessor in the BCM switches the wiper motor on.

Looking at the circuit again, I think you can just leave the signal wire from the cam-operated switch disconnected, and the switch on the stalk will turn the circuit on/off OK.

You might even be able to use the signal wire that goes to the wiper auto-stop switch for a second way to turn the circuit on. The circuit should be turned on whenever that wire is grounded. You could have a switch on the stalk and one somewhere else to control the same thing.

Quick Reply: rear wiper switch for other use after wiper delete