Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated 06 interior. Added- leather, Nav/Nav dash, head unit etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
big_dish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
You did a great job on the leather install. Mine had way more wrinkles when I finished, but they definitely tighten up over time. Another way I reduced the wrinkles was to use a heat gun back and forth over the seats, being careful not to overheat any particular section. I also used a clothes steamer which was much easier, but not as effective as the heat gun.

Neither had a detrimental effect on my seats.

Thanks, yeah I considered using heat/steam but the wrinkles werent too bad. Actually, I think its the angle of the sun or something in these pics that even make them stand out at all... its almost unrecognizable in person. I may get rid of them completely in the future, but for now my laziness is winning out. lol
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
350Speed

Love the interior. I've been looking for Nav dash/button myself.

Do you think the 06 Nav dash/button will fit 07 Touring?

Last edited by 350Speed; 08-03-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by 350Speed
Love the interior. I've been looking for Nav dash/button myself.

Do you think the 06 Nav dash/button will fit 07 Touring?
Thanks.

Yes, the 06-09 dash is the same. 03-05 will not fit correctly in an 07, so make sure you buy the correct years.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
tony530

Is there anything beside the nav oem buttoms??? Like a oem plastic/cover or metal plate that can be done???
Old 08-18-2012, 04:23 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by tony530
Is there anything beside the nav oem buttoms??? Like a oem plastic/cover or metal plate that can be done???
You would have to fabricate something yourself. I kind of tried initially just so I could install everything else while I looked for the button panel, but kept failing miserably- nothing looked good. I know other people have made them, but I havent seen pictures or anything.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 AM
scmtkings4

is there any chance you have a write up of how to install the leather?

I have no idea what im doing when it comes to auto upholstery/seat removal
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
DrummerGirl

I'm loving your interior. I'm curious, what kind of GPS did you use? My center console is scratched up, and I'm thinking of maybe just pulling out the old console and installing a Nav console.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
is there any chance you have a write up of how to install the leather?

I have no idea what im doing when it comes to auto upholstery/seat removal
I dont, but when you buy them from leatherseats.com it comes with a write up. Its pretty easy though. I also watched a few youtube videos. The process is simple, the work itself is a little tough but nothing too bad.

Originally Posted by DrummerGirl
I'm loving your interior. I'm curious, what kind of GPS did you use? My center console is scratched up, and I'm thinking of maybe just pulling out the old console and installing a Nav console.
Thank you.

I used a Magellan 1700. The nav console makes a world of difference. I always thought that stupid cubby door cheapened the look of the dash. Now it looks like a more expensive interior.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by big_dish
So when I was originally looking for a Z last winter, I knew I wanted an Interlagos Fire, but they were few and far between. The ones I could find all seemed to be base units, which didnt have the features I wanted. Thanks to this site and so many users on here, I realized I could give my car the options I wanted for a fraction of the price. I went to work on the interior first, and am tackling the exterior (and LSD) second.

Here are some of the interior changes I have made in the past 6 months (and approximate costs if anyone wants to do the same). My personal taste is an updated OEM style without spending the cost of the car on upgrades.

Added burnt orange leather seats- $600 (I think) from leatherseats.com.
Installed myself- free
Added and installed leather shift boot-$50 or so from leatherseats,com
Bought and installed 06 navigation dash/button panel etc- approx $300 from tiresome ebay searches that lasted months
Bought and installed Magellen 1700 7" touchscreen GPS- $125 refurbished
Bought and installed Clarion CX501 CD/MP3/Bluetooth head unit- $200 or so
Also updated all speakers and added rear sub

The seats are a bit of a pain to pull off the old cloth and install the new leather, but if you give yourself 3-4 hours per seat you'll be good. The dash components/audio are all pretty easy, just following directions.

As you can see, its a pretty dramatic difference from the crappy stock cloth/dash/radio, to what it is now. I get a ton of compliments on the Interlagos Fire/Burnt Orange color combo.

I'm an iphone photographer lol... and have that fisheye/wide angle attachment they sell at the apple store... its really handy for taking pictures in our tiny interior cabins.

Pics:

Before:

After:

Pretty much all of those small wrinkles went away after a month.

Before Dash:

After:

The buttons are non-functional- the GPS is 100% touchscreen and WAY better than the stock one that cost like $3500.

The Clarion head unit is programmable to use the same colors as our dash (this is before the Nav was installed):

From a distance:

You can find how to install all of this stuff here on the site by searching. Sorry but I do not have the searches saved- but its easy to find with a little effort.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any future suggestions.

Also working on the exterior but not finished at all. So far have some bluebat overlays, painted wheels (I love the 06 stockers, probably wont change them ever), 25mm spacers and Eibach pro-kit springs. Will add body kit, paint door handles and hopefully open up headlights/paint them/iron man mod at some point. Teaser pic:
Sweet!

B@t™
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by Blue Batmobile
Sweet!

B@t™
Thanks Bat! I need to get some photos up of your overlays on my tails, front reflectors and strut bar. Got those on as well. The GT-R tails are tricky but turned out well, really knock the red down and almost blend in on my rear quarter panels- the red was very "clashy" with the interlagos color.

I'll try to get those up tomorrow, and of course you can use any if you want for your site.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Popsicl3

I think this all looks fantastic. I'm looking to change my seat covers as well since they're pretty ugly and worn down. I'm considering getting some PVC leather or synthetic leather instead of the genuine leather since they're significantly cheaper; do you think that they would maintain their integrity and not fade or wear quicker? Or would it be better to stick with the genuine leather?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
big_dish

Originally Posted by Popsicl3
I think this all looks fantastic. I'm looking to change my seat covers as well since they're pretty ugly and worn down. I'm considering getting some PVC leather or synthetic leather instead of the genuine leather since they're significantly cheaper; do you think that they would maintain their integrity and not fade or wear quicker? Or would it be better to stick with the genuine leather?
Thanks man. Honestly, I wouldnt go with anything other than leather. If money is an issue, be vigilant in searching classifieds and you can find used leather seats and leather seat covers... I would never go with the fake leathers... I dont see how the fitment would be even decent, plus the comfort level in warm weather and wearability would both be sub par.

You can find your way into some nice leather seating on a smaller budget if you take your time.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
1sole

how hard was it to install the seat covers? was taking the entire seat out necessary?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by 1sole
how hard was it to install the seat covers? was taking the entire seat out necessary?
Yeah you take the seat out. Thats the easiest part.

None of it is really hard, its more elbow grease than anything. Took an hour or two longer for the first one than the second one.. obviously by the time I got to the second one I knew what I was doing, and it was MUCH easier.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:12 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have to tell leatherseats.com that your seats do not have side airbags? I noticed yours do not have that section on the side where the bags would bust though. I am looking to get the same kit and was just wondering.

Also is this the same seat kit that they have listed for $549 shipped?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
Did you have to tell leatherseats.com that your seats do not have side airbags? I noticed yours do not have that section on the side where the bags would bust though. I am looking to get the same kit and was just wondering.

Also is this the same seat kit that they have listed for $549 shipped?
Yeah they can make them with or without airbag seams...

It likely is... I think they fluctuate specials between $500-600. They are really nice quality, well worth the money IMO.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
STL 350Z

Awesome. I'm starting a new job soon and this will be one of my first purchases.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
goracerx

That looks really good with the body paint color. You know they make a matching colored leather oem shift **** to.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Lucky736

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have an pics of the Magellan 1700 in a 03-05 cubby? Wondering how it fits VS the Plenio models.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
big_dish

Originally Posted by goracerx
That looks really good with the body paint color. You know they make a matching colored leather oem shift **** to.
Thank you.

Yeah I know, I think I'm going to buy it sometime, the only thing is, its a pain in the *** to get the new shift ***** on, so I didnt want to go through that all over again yet putting a black boot back on. haha

Also, installed new door cards/armrests:

Quick Reply: Updated 06 interior. Added- leather, Nav/Nav dash, head unit etc