Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of "True Projector" headlights from JMAutoRacing Not happy...

Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
mickeyboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of "True Projector" headlights from JMAutoRacing Not happy...

Hey Guys,

This is a review of the product as well as my overall experience. Before you read on, I know some of you will say I should have just saved up for the 06+ headlight upgrade for my base. However, this seemed like a practical choice since I was assured that these would be a good upgrade. However, you will find as you read along that this was not the case.

So I contacted JMAutoracing through PM here back on July 31st 2012 as I wanted to upgrade my factory base halogen housings for some lights that had real HID projector lenses inside. I was assured that this was this case. On top of that, I called in to make an order a few days later. Order #3643. I was super excited as I was assured multiple times that these lights were gonna give me a great spread of light and much better than my OEM Halogen housings.

I received the housings in a timely manner and took it to a body shop I knew. The two of us got to installing the lights and getting them adjusted. We were pretty surprised by the outcome (not in a good way). See the pictures below:

You can clearly see that my factory halogen housings had much more even lighting minus the clean cut off line from most factory HID's. The aftermarket ones look like I was standing there with two LED flashlights.

I called up JMAutoracing to ask them what the deal was and they assured me that it was an improvement over my OEM housings. I sent them the above pictures and that's when we initiated a return. I was told that the manufacturer would reduce my restocking fee from 25% to 15% which was ok.

I waited and waited and received two separate refunds. One of $50 for the Onex HID kit and another of $120 for the headlights. I did some quick math and realized that something was wrong. I initially paid over $330 with tax and shipping. The subtotal was $272.36. With a 15% restocking fee I should have received $231.50 back. Even with a 25% restocking fee I should have gotten $204.27. I only received $170 back.

I called on a few occasions and they said they would look in to it. It seemed they would forget so I would call back again and send out dozens of emails. Finally they replied saying that the manufacturers stated there was a scratch on one headlight. I asked JMAutoracing to look in to it again for me as I was pretty careful with handling the lights. I had not heard back for months.

With the holidays and my newborn, things were a bit too hectic for me to chase this issue so I recently called back and asked about the status. They said they would check and get back to me. Still no word so I emailed and still no word. I understand that **** happens but I'm not impressed with their customer service. I would have also liked to see JM take more responsibility and control over the situation instead of just saying "oh well the manufacturer says..."

Also, I think they should be more aware of the products they sell and the manufacturers they use. I lost out on paying them $30+ to get it shipped to me and then $30+ to ship it back to them. Overall, I lost out big even after being assured multiple times that these would give me a nice even distribution of light. Also, even with the photo evidence, I was told, the manufacturers said that this is how the lights are suppose to be. If that's the case then I'll leave it up to you guys whether you want to buy them or not. Just wanted you guys to know what you're buying before you spend your hard earned money!

Guys @ JMAutoRacing, I suggest you guys not use this supplier/manufacturer anymore. Good luck.

Last edited by mickeyboi; 01-09-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Esoj

Thanks for this review since I am also thinking of buying the same headlights from them because my oem once shows wear already. Good luck with the remaining refund. Now I guess I really have to save money to get 06+ headlights.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Legit6MT

That light pattern looks horrible. If I were you, I'd call my cc/bank and file a claim. They can still help in situations like these. There shouldn't be a restocking fee if your returning out of dissatisfaction. Your bank/cc has better resources to get your money back. If you've got copy of the emails, send it to your bank and show them how irresponsible the vendor was for handling it in such a way.

If it was thru paypal, call them and file a dispute.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Legit6MT
That light pattern looks horrible.
x2, Terrible cutoff .
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
mickeyboi

Originally Posted by Legit6MT
That light pattern looks horrible. If I were you, I'd call my cc/bank and file a claim. They can still help in situations like these. There shouldn't be a restocking fee if your returning out of dissatisfaction. Your bank/cc has better resources to get your money back. If you've got copy of the emails, send it to your bank and show them how irresponsible the vendor was for handling it in such a way.

If it was thru paypal, call them and file a dispute.
Yea I was hoping JMAutoRacing would step up and take better care of things but I guess I may have to contact American Express and see what can be done. Not sure about the limitations but I guess I can ask.

Also figured since I didn't buy from the manufacturer, I bought from the retailer (JMAutoRacing) that they would be the ones to take care of things. It's been stressful...

Last edited by mickeyboi; 01-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 AM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jm auto racing has one shitty *** customer service. I bought tanabe coilovers from them, and wanted to swap out the springs for swift springs. I asked them for the specs on the springs since they were already on the car and didnt want to uninstall them to measure the length and diameter. Jm auto said they would get that info for me asap. After repeatedly trying to get a hold of them, they just ignored me. I even have an email "PLEADING" them to give me that info, and I was ignored.

I also purchased rear dampening adjusters, which were crappy and snapped. They wouldnt refund me the money or send me a new one.

Next, I ordered bc coilovers a year later. While waiting for them to ship, I get a call from them saying I should go with the d2 coilovers. He said they were the best in terms of bang for the buck, and would slam my ride like stance does, all in oem style setup. He also said these coilovers will make the z ride like a mercedes. Well when I get the coils, they are true style, and the rears don't slam the car all the way.

I would avoid dealing with them.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
mickeyboi

Originally Posted by stevehl
jm auto racing has one shitty *** customer service. I bought tanabe coilovers from them, and wanted to swap out the springs for swift springs. I asked them for the specs on the springs since they were already on the car and didnt want to uninstall them to measure the length and diameter. Jm auto said they would get that info for me asap. After repeatedly trying to get a hold of them, they just ignored me. I even have an email "PLEADING" them to give me that info, and I was ignored.

I also purchased rear dampening adjusters, which were crappy and snapped. They wouldnt refund me the money or send me a new one.

Next, I ordered bc coilovers a year later. While waiting for them to ship, I get a call from them saying I should go with the d2 coilovers. He said they were the best in terms of bang for the buck, and would slam my ride like stance does, all in oem style setup. He also said these coilovers will make the z ride like a mercedes. Well when I get the coils, they are true style, and the rears don't slam the car all the way.

I would avoid dealing with them.
Yea I feel you. After a while it feels like you're begging for help when you've been calling and emailing multiple times and still end up being ignored. Customer service says a lot about a company.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Smart readers will take note and add one more name to their list. Thanks for posting OP.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
BMGz33

I'm not surprised about their customer service... I ordered my Injen exhaust from them and ended up choosing Motordyne's Shockwave TDX2. So I emailed them and called them about canceling my order on the Injen Exhaust (Less than 24 hours that I submitted my order) and they tell me I can't because I will be charged a restocking fee... I was like wtf??? the product hasn't even left your F*****g warehouse...

As stated above, a $1,200+ exhaust hit with a 25% restocking is more than I wanted luck out on so I had to just cancel the TDX2 had ordered from customcarscentral and they were generous enough to not charge me a restocking fee since it hadn't left their warehouse either...

Honestly I have never visited that site ever again.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
mickeyboi

Update:

I contacted Amex last month and filed a claim not to dispute the amount charged but the amount returned. I think Amex has failed considering they did not bother to accept my email evidence of the negotiated 15% restocking fee instead of the 25% restocking fee. On top of everything, I received less than I should have even with a 25% restocking fee.

Of course Amex gives JM a fair chance at explaining the situation. You know for a fact that they won't mention that they promised me a 15% restocking fee instead of 25%. They also claimed that the headlights were not resellable because of some minor scratch. This was what they told me after I called JM and asked why I received so little in return. They said "our manufacturers said that there was a small scratch" not even on the lense and thats why I received only 60% back for the headlight housings. Then what about the HID kits that I paid $80 for? Why did I receive $50 back? Those were just fine. Shouldn't I get at least $60 back?

On top of everything, I had to pay for my own return shipping. I feel like they just make things up and return whatever price they feel like. Besides, you are the retailer, shouldn't you be responsible for returning a refund, not your "manufacturers".

This has been a huge headache and I guess what's done is done. I am greatly disappointed in JM AutoRacing's product, their false advertisement and poor customer service. Never again...

Last edited by mickeyboi; 02-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
ZMoneyPIT

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had an iffy situation with JM. But I don't think it's them, I think it's their manufacturing companies leaving them clueless on what to do.
When I was trying to get my hood and bumper from VIS I got a great deal on the bumper and received it fast. My hood on the other hand was no where to be seen for at least a month. VIS kept telling them it's coming but no date was ever sent for its actual arrival. It eventually got here with no problems.
I was thinking about just telling them to cancel the order when I was a month in with no approximate arrival but that's where the shitty 25% stocking fee came in. It was $1k+ order so I just suffered being in the dark.
JMAuto still showed me a lot of respect and answered all of my questions during the process. Which is why I'll still do business with them.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow this sounds like a nightmare, what a chitty retailer.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noted, thanks OP..messy situation
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks OP! I won't be buying from them!!!
They sure like to bump their ads fast.....pure bs.